What has happened to the quality of the on board activities / shipboard experience

BCEagle78

I agree. I have never once given thought or cared who the Captain, Cruise Director, etc. is and can’t imagine why it would matter to anyone. The itinerary, accommodations, food quality, entertainment, etc. are the primary concerns for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, I never cared either.....until my cruise on Eurodam last October. Her Master on that trip was Captain John Scott. Apparently he hosts an Aviation Meetup on all of his cruises so that he can meet his brother and sister pilots (airplane, not harbor;)) and we can meet each other. Was the most delightful experience I've had on any cruise! We and Captain Scott spent well over an hour together "hangar flying" (telling tales of our flying experiences). I'm thinking about booking another cruise on Eurodam this year if he's ship's Master.....and I don't even like the "big" ships, but he's worth it. JMO.

Well, I never cared either.....until my cruise on Eurodam last October. Her Master on that trip was Captain John Scott. Apparently he hosts an Aviation Meetup on all of his cruises so that he can meet his brother and sister pilots (airplane, not harbor;)) and we can meet each other. Was the most delightful experience I've had on any cruise! We and Captain Scott spent well over an hour together "hangar flying" (telling tales of our flying experiences). I'm thinking about booking another cruise on Eurodam this year if he's ship's Master.....and I don't even like the "big" ships, but he's worth it. JMO.

I hear you :) When I knew we had Captain Van Eerten again on our Westerdam cruise I was a very happy camper and our HD and CD were wonderful.

Along with the real Black and White ball he was seen and listened.

When ports had to be cancelled, all kinds of activities were planned - not the standard stuff they do. Pool parties, complimentary drinks, entertainment, etc.

they tried to make the best out of a bad situation. And, he changed the itinerary in hopes we could make one of the ports. And, he reached out to Seattle to reimburse us on a future cruise.

Weather is not HAL's fault, nor is failure to tender but when you end up doing a lot of days at sea......

When I call someone an excellent captain, it's either because they take care and care for their passengers, or they do the wonderful things (like Captain Gundersen) who was the first to dock at a port that was supposed to be a tender port. Who came to party in the yellow boots as he had to get back to the bridge and take care of us and the ship. Who, when he realized we couldn't get to St. Tropez (storm knocked out the dock) immediately made arrangements for us to get to Barcelona early and overnight there and announced it quickly.

I have a lot of reasons for calling captains "the best". I have no idea of their knowledge but I know what they did to make our experience better or attempt to do so and the efforts made to get us safely where we were supposed to go.

That's why I say "best" sometimes and yes, there are captains I am delighted to sail with again. And captains I look forward to sailing with for the first time :) based on reputation.

I have a lot of reasons for calling captains "the best". I have no idea of their knowledge but I know what they did to make our experience better or attempt to do so and the efforts made to get us safely where we were supposed to go.

Their maritime knowledge, safety and experience in getting us from point A to point B is all that is important to us. As far as 'making the experience better', his or her staff is responsible for those details, i.e. Cruise Director, etc..

Their maritime knowledge, safety and experience in getting us from point A to point B is all that is important to us. As far as 'making the experience better', his or her staff is responsible for those details, i.e. Cruise Director, etc..

Actually making the experience better comes from the top down IMO. I realize it is the job of the staff, but it's the captain that sets the tone and it was our CAPTAIN who went to Seattle about doing something about our cruise that I cited previously. That's a fact.

I've seen the difference when we have a captain like I've cited and some on the P'dam where the HD's are totally top notch. A good leader instills customer care. Yes he's getting us from point A to point B, but the good ones care. JMO and experience though.

For some of us who have sailed HAL so many cruises, so ,many ships, we have sailed with many of these people a great many times and when we find ourselves on th e same ship at the same time, it is like seeing frineds ag ain any where. We have known some for 15+ years. These friends just happen to spend a great part of their lives on the ships, It is no diffcerent than seing any friend who happens to live somewhere that is not easily and often accessible to you. We see some of them off the ships on occasion. I am delighted when I have the chance to see friends of many years. It's a quite easy to grasp concept. Is it not? T o share a cocktail, a meal, a chat, a laugh.

Edited by sail7seas

We chose Celebrity for Japan over the Westerdam, after reading reviews on that specific ship. The lack of entertainment would probably become an issue on a transpacific or transatlantic cruise. Some of the reviews also mentioned a downgrade in food, service, and general condition. Are they just naysayers, things have changed but are still decent, or is HAL following Carnival's lead?

We chose Celebrity for Japan over the Westerdam, after reading reviews on that specific ship. The lack of entertainment would probably become an issue on a transpacific or transatlantic cruise. Some of the reviews also mentioned a downgrade in food, service, and general condition. Are they just naysayers, things have changed but are still decent, or is HAL following Carnival's lead?

I've done a number of TA's and a Transpacific and we definitely had lecturers, good stuff in between, etc.

Umm, I don't do reviews, often, unless I am unhappy and I am afraid that's what a lot do.

Our entertainment on the Transpacific on the Westerdam was wonderful. We had all kinds of daily activities. Kinoae (sp) was our guide and as we entered Hawaii he did the call to welcome us and the ladies on board answered. Truly wonderful.

The other thing is that...

I do join my roll call and I recommend you do the same. We have all kinds of things planned - and it's all voluntary. No one has to sign up for anything that is not of interest, but we have groups for everything from trivia to sit and stitch to Mah Jonng, etc.

And on our own activities.

Looking forward to our cruise in May :)

Edited by kazu

I've done a number of TA's and a Transpacific and we definitely had lecturers, good stuff in between, etc.

Umm, I don't do reviews, often, unless I am unhappy and I am afraid that's what a lot do.

Our entertainment on the Transpacific on the Westerdam was wonderful. We had all kinds of daily activities. Kinoae (sp) was our guide and as we entered Hawaii he did the call to welcome us and the ladies on board answered. Truly wonderful.

The other thing is that...

I do join my roll call and I recommend you do the same. We have all kinds of things planned - and it's all voluntary. No one has to sign up for anything that is not of interest, but we have groups for everything from trivia to sit and stitch to Mah Jonng, etc.

And on our own activities.

Looking forward to our cruise in May :)

We have so many tours planned that I suspect our roll call members will be too tired to care about the evening entertainment. I know I will be!

Unfortunately, I think you're right. It seems that most people only take the time to review when they're disgruntled, and not enough do them when they've been happy with their experience.

It's too bad, really..

Unfortunately, I think you're right. It seems that most people only take the time to review when they're disgruntled, and not enough do them when they've been happy with their experience.

It's too bad, really..

I think it's true of most reactions to service and products. I called our public works department a few weeks ago to find out what was happening with the recycling pickup schedule due to our snowstorms. After I got that information, I commented that we're lucky to have such a hard-working crew that take such good care of us, getting roads cleared asap. The woman I spoke to was surprised and very pleased--people almost never call their office to say good things.

Plus, the title "cruise critic" draws unhappy people who are looking for place to gripe. A lot of the reviews seem to come from people who don't post otherwise.

It's too bad, really..

Apologies, I should have clarified. I used to do reviews for all cruises but since I started doing Live threads I mostly stopped since I think that the impressions and experiences have already been stated ;)

Apologies, I should have clarified. I used to do reviews for all cruises but since I started doing Live threads I mostly stopped since I think that the impressions and experiences have already been stated ;)

We pretty much follow your lead :). A few years ago it occurred to us that cruise reviews, posted on the CC Review board, was not nearly as useful as posting capsule reviews and comments here on the open blogs. Why? Because you cannot question a reviewer regarding something they said....whereas on these boards there is generally an opportunity to ask questions, make comments, etc.

Hank

I think it's true of most reactions to service and products. I called our public works department a few weeks ago to find out what was happening with the recycling pickup schedule due to our snowstorms. After I got that information, I commented that we're lucky to have such a hard-working crew that take such good care of us, getting roads cleared asap. The woman I spoke to was surprised and very pleased--people almost never call their office to say good things.

Plus, the title "cruise critic" draws unhappy people who are looking for place to gripe. A lot of the reviews seem to come from people who don't post otherwise.

This reminds of a problem a few years ago . The Cruise Critic get togethers were announced in the dailies and people descended on them to talk about all their complaints. They thought that is what the meetings were for. :)

I agree that grumpy people are more likely to leave a review. Is the food, service, and general ship condition comparable to what HAL offered 24 months ago?

I agree that some people think CC only exits as a vehile to complain. I wsas in Neptne Lounge one particular cruise. Someone there reognized me as a CC'er and asked if I was 'Sail' on CC. When I said yes, anther pax in Neptune listened and proceeded to ask me how he could cri diZe HAL and the ruise we were on. I explain ed a bit about CC and each time he saw me after, H ewould growl to me that he wants to compalin about HAL on CC and would list all his complaintts. he would not accept my explanation but he would not 'let go.'. He wanted a vehile to shout his grievances. i finally had to ask him to leave me alone. he became so unpleasant. The name of this forum is sometimes misunderstood and encourages folks like him.

Given what I currently see on most internet forums, I'd say the nature of online communications (e.g., the ability to post things anonymously, the apparent desire of some to stir the pot and provide a skewed view of things) is at fault, rather than the Cruise Critic name.

Given what I currently see on most internet forums, I'd say the nature of online communications (e.g., the ability to post things anonymously, the apparent desire of some to stir the pot and provide a skewed view of things) is at fault, rather than the Cruise Critic name.

I've found that interweb forums for the most part are a case study in chaos: improvisational, reactive, and unpredictable.

The Cruise Critic name could be changed to Cruise Connoisseur but I would then have to look up the spelling every time to log on.