What has happened to the quality of the on board activities / shipboard experience

BCEagle78

after 8 cruises I also think that our last 2 on Holland were very weak on theater entertainment ......our family does not at all need a lot of entertainment and purposely don't go on ships with high pace activities or party atmosphere but typically enjoy the high quality theater shows and guest on other cruise lines......the only reason we go with Holland is the itinerary and their price for a cabin with both balcony and sofa ........

We had one cruise on HAL and were disappointed in the lack of things to do. We had to spend time doing jigsaw puzzles and watching TV. We could have more to do at home and not spend the money. My husband said to not book them again. We find NCL is the best for us. Great entertainment, top notch shows, fun game shows, exercise classes, photography seminars, talks on different subjects, trivia, etc. We love it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have sailed on Holland America 11 times and always enjoyed the experience. I have also sailed on several other cruise lines. When I sailed on Koningsdam in October on an 11 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary, we brought along with us some people who were sailing on HAL for the first time but who also have sailed on other cruise lines a number of times. The big difference that we had with this recent cruise was the experience onboard seemed to feel quite different. A couple of examples: We often would sit in the pool area and were accustomed to having at least some live music to help enjoy the afternoon. There was no music of any time, not even recorded music near the pool. We also were looking forward to some sea day activities to help us enjoy the the leisurely time spent when at sea. The activities listed were quite limited and in many cases included a small upcharge to participate. We felt that if we wanted to do something fun that we were being nickeled and dimed. I don't remember this being the case the last time that we sailed on HAL. We sailed on Princess (March 2017) and found they had lots of fun things on the schedule.

Did we just happen to sail on an exceptionally dull cruise or have things changed that much on HAL? This is important as we are about to book our next cruise and the group that we are sailing with are using this experience to steer clear of HAL, even though HAL has the best itinerary...

WOW! I am curious as to what activities you were 'uncharged' for.

We have been on many cruises and have never felt we were tickled and dimed on any of them.

Possibly, you just prefer the Princess Cruise experience.

We had to spend time doing jigsaw puzzles and watching TV.

If that's all you could find to do, you may have not been looking hard enough IMHO. And we agree that NCL is a different experience. As has been mentioned many times, it all depends on what you're looking for in the onboard experience, and everyone has their own preferences in this regard.

I think it also depends on what you like to do. On NCL, there is a fun game show every night, they have Broadway type and magic shows, Mr Sexy Legs, Sailaway parties, dance parties as well getting your photo taken in each port with fun characters, cast talent shows, aerobic classes, specialized trivia games, cabaret shows, dance lessons, arts and crafts classes, painting classes, etc. We just didn't find that on HAL but they may be marketing to a different kind of crowd so that may be why we were disappointed. They had a BBC movie one night on wildlife as the theater show and a single pianist another night. It just wasn't for us, but might be for others who would find NCL type entertainment too lively and not elegant enough. We also don't like the formal type dinners and dress up nights so different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it also depends on what you like to do. On NCL, there is a fun game show every night..

Agreed. On HAL, it's the exact same thing every night. Even on their brand new ship, outside of the main show, you pretty much have 2 choices....either BB King or Billboard. In 11 nights, they did a whopping ONE game show. It was a BBC themed show. People can't say game shows aren't liked by the HAL crowd because it was standing room only in the Queens Lounge. Why they did away with the Relationship Game and other game shows is beyond me.

I think it also depends on what you like to do. On NCL, there is a fun game show every night, they have Broadway type and magic shows, Mr Sexy Legs, Sailaway parties, dance parties as well getting your photo taken in each port with fun characters, cast talent shows, aerobic classes, specialized trivia games, cabaret shows, dance lessons, arts and crafts classes, painting classes, etc. We just didn't find that on HAL but they may be marketing to a different kind of crowd so that may be why we were disappointed. They had a BBC movie one night on wildlife as the theater show and a single pianist another night. It just wasn't for us, but might be for others who would find NCL type entertainment too lively and not elegant enough. We also don't like the formal type dinners and dress up nights so different strokes for different folks.

You're right about different strokes for different folks! None of the things you mentioned appeal to me. If that's all they have on NCL, I won't find anything to do on NCL!

I was very happy with HAL's entertainment, especially Lincoln Center Stage. I'm not into game shows like newlywed games. I prefer more educational game shows like the BBC themed game show that HAL had.

Yep, I'd say HAL is a very good fit for me. I'm glad we have choices!

You're right about different strokes for different folks! None of the things you mentioned appeal to me. If that's all they have on NCL, I won't find anything to do on NCL!

I was very happy with HAL's entertainment, especially Lincoln Center Stage. I'm not into game shows like newlywed games. I prefer more educational game shows like the BBC themed game show that HAL had.

Yep, I'd say HAL is a very good fit for me. I'm glad we have choices!

Well stated. HAL needs to keep being HAL and others need to choose from the variety of options out there that better suit their own needs. No reason to slam HAL because it is not like brand XYZ. HAL is HAL, and long may she sail just as she is.

Well stated. HAL needs to keep being HAL and others need to choose from the variety of options out there that better suit their own needs. No reason to slam HAL because it is not like brand XYZ. HAL is HAL, and long may she sail just as she is.

So if HAL decides to cut all entertainment, everyone should just say "HAL is HAL" and make no comment about it? I see nothing wrong with expressing a little disappointed that entertainment options once existed on HAL are no longer available. The same way you say people need to choose from a variety of cruise options, I say there should be a better variety of entertainment options on board HAL.

I'm not into game shows like newlywed games. I prefer more educational game shows like the BBC themed game show that HAL had.

That's fine, but wouldn't it be nice if there was more than just one? That was my point. You don't have to like every show. It would have just been nice had there been more than 1 on an 11 day cruise.

So if HAL decides to cut all entertainment, everyone should just say "HAL is HAL" and make no comment about it? I see nothing wrong with expressing a little disappointed that entertainment options once existed on HAL are no longer available. The same way you say people need to choose from a variety of cruise options, I say there should be a better variety of entertainment options on board HAL.

Yes, people should say HAL is HAL and take their own cruise entertainment needs to the ships that offer a better package for their own needs/demands. And just leave HAL alone who does a great job in many other aspects that are appealing to a strong and loyal customer base. . Don't blame HAL because it is not a good fit for you. You have choices, If you demand HAL become like all the other cruise lines, then others that do like HAL don't have any other choices at all.

I recommend you read the 2017 Annual Report for CCL to understand where the increasing operational cost pressures are coming from so there is less "disappointment" when you see cuts being made.

Something that some posters (not naming names) may be losing sight of is the assumption that as each generation ages, they want the same things in their 60s, 70s, and 80s. Wrong. My parents, both of whom lived thru the Depression and World War II, had completely different attitudes, expectations, and likes and dislikes when it came to entertainment and vacations in their 60s than I, a Baby Boomer, have in my 60s.

For HAL or any other cruise line to think that what pleases today's 70-80 year old is going to satisfy tomorrow's 70-80 yr. old is a mistake. As an example, look at the success of the Malt Shop, Flower Power, and Motown themed cruises.

Roz

Something that some posters (not naming names) may be losing sight of is the assumption that as each generation ages, they want the same things in their 60s, 70s, and 80s. Wrong. My parents, both of whom lived thru the Depression and World War II, had completely different attitudes, expectations, and likes and dislikes when it came to entertainment and vacations in their 60s than I, a Baby Boomer, have in my 60s.

For HAL or any other cruise line to think that what pleases today's 70-80 year old is going to satisfy tomorrow's 70-80 yr. old is a mistake. As an example, look at the success of the Malt Shop, Flower Power, and Motown themed cruises.

Roz

I hope HAL continues to be an itinerary and unique destination oriented cruise line for travelers. No matter what their age group or demographics.

Yes, people should say HAL is HAL and take their own cruise entertainment needs to the ships that offer a better package for their own needs/demands. And just leave HAL alone who does a great job in many other aspects that are appealing to a strong and loyal customer base. . Don't blame HAL because it is not a good fit for you. You have choices, If you demand HAL become like all the other cruise lines, then others that do like HAL don't have any other choices at all.

I didn't say HAL wasn't a good fit for me. But like all the other lines, there is room for improvement. On HAL, it's the entertainment. That's a far cry from claiming I want HAL to be exactly like every other line. You're adding your own context to my comments, which is wrong. But hey, feel free to add me to your ignore list, just like you did the OP, because I'm not going to stop expressing my opinions.

I didn't say HAL wasn't a good fit for me. But like all the other lines, there is room for improvement. On HAL, it's the entertainment. That's a far cry from claiming I want HAL to be exactly like every other line. You're adding your own context to my comments, which is wrong. But hey, feel free to add me to your ignore list, just like you did the OP, because I'm not going to stop expressing my opinions.

Think New Coke - some one's need for "improvements" may well be a turn-off for others. Particularly when there are other options out there that can better suit those needs. I don't see any option to small ship, unique itinerary value cruising myself which is why I cling to keeping HAL HAL, as much as it can afford to be.

Think New Coke - some one's need for "improvements" may well be a turn-off for others.

You again misunderstood. Game shows and additional entertainment, such as in the Crows Nest, are not a suggested improvement. It's a suggestion to return to things they cut.

You again misunderstood. Game shows and additional entertainment, such as in the Crows Nest, are not a suggested improvement. It's a suggestion to return to things they cut.

Good idea to read the 2017 CCL Annual Report to get an understanding where the prices pressures are and why somethings are getting cut, as well as prices getting increased. They list them all out with specificity. There is a sweet spot in passenger fares that must be acknowledged to. This is not a static setting. Since costs go up every year, cuts will also be endemic. Plus there have been plenty of improvements too. This is one big juggling act.

I like HAL, but HAL isn't being HAL--not the HAL of even a few years ago. The one positive I can find is that they're improving entertainment with the addition of Lincoln Center. But at the same time they took away the jazz combo. (Ocean Bar on K'dam was so sad. There's a dance floor and a little stage just perfect for "the Neptunes," but instead they had a mediocre piano player) Their guest entertainers are all magicians or comedians. No guest singers because then they'd have to provide musical backup, and they've cut their music program too much for that. They're butchering the crow's nest and libraries to put in a tour sales venue. Their port information is about tours you can book on HAL or places they recommend (kickback?) for shopping in port. No enrichment lectures.

I don't want HAL to be "party central." I don't want belly-flop contests or Mr Sexy Legs pool games. I'm quite happy to NOT have canned music at the pool, although it would be nice if they had live music there once in a while,just for variety, maybe for sailaway parties. We can entertain ourselves, although we now have to make sure we bring enough reading material for the whole cruise. But it would be nice to put down the books and do something interesting during the day.

I like HAL, but HAL isn't being HAL--not the HAL of even a few years ago. The one positive I can find is that they're improving entertainment with the addition of Lincoln Center. But at the same time they took away the jazz combo. (Ocean Bar on K'dam was so sad. There's a dance floor and a little stage just perfect for "the Neptunes," but instead they had a mediocre piano player) Their guest entertainers are all magicians or comedians. No guest singers because then they'd have to provide musical backup, and they've cut their music program too much for that. They're butchering the crow's nest and libraries to put in a tour sales venue. Their port information is about tours you can book on HAL or places they recommend (kickback?) for shopping in port. No enrichment lectures.

I don't want HAL to be "party central." I don't want belly-flop contests or Mr Sexy Legs pool games. I'm quite happy to NOT have canned music at the pool, although it would be nice if they had live music there once in a while,just for variety, maybe for sailaway parties. We can entertain ourselves, although we now have to make sure we bring enough reading material for the whole cruise. But it would be nice to put down the books and do something interesting during the day.

No, HAL is not HAL of a few years ago, No one is claiming it is, or is not.

Read the CCL 2017 Annual Report and learn why. There will be cuts and there will be improvements. it will not be static. But it still gets you where you want to go for a decent price; but it may not still get you there HOW you want to do. And that is where the freedom of the market place and other options plays its role in your future cruise choices.

Look at it this way, and these are just examples off the top of my head. HAL ships are fixed environments for the most part. HAL has a fixed number of staff/crew beds and floor space.

If you add an acupuncturist, a yoga teacher, a tooth-whitener and an herbalist for an enhanced market competitive "spa" experience you have to take away four other staff persons which may have been the poolside entertainers. When you add a special station for soy milk and gluten free bread toasting, you are going to have to take away the custom eggs benedict bar because there is only so much fixed floor space. If you add the large group BB Kings, you are going to have to reduce Adagio to two people instead of four. Or whatever.

Plenty of people complained about the poolside music, so perhaps HAL management was listening to its customers. Plenty of people started demanding special dietary accommodations, HAL management listened and had to convert existing floor space. CDC declared older HAL ships were not set up for Lido area food handling so they had to shut down the outdoor buffets. Who knows why they stopped the aft deck SailAways as reported lately.

And so it goes. That is why HAL needs to think through whether it is going to narrow what it offers and lose some to the competition or tries to be all things to all people at all times and ends up chasing its tale into oblivion.

But it still gets you where you want to go for a decent price; but it may not still get you there HOW you want to do. And that is where the freedom of the market place and other options plays its role in your future cruise choices.

You are exactly right, OlsSalt. For us right now we like Celebrity for their evening fun times and shows and multiple lectures on sea days. We like Oceania for their GREAT food and longer itineraries that go to some cool places around the world. We like Crystal every once in awhile when we just want to be wowed, especially on sea days with over 50+ things to do plus some great lecturers. We also like Disney and Princess when we go on family cruises with our grandkids.

HAL no longer fits in our future cruising plans except for maybe a Prinsendam cruise to the Polar Ice Cap as none of our new go-to cruise lines do that yet. Other than that, HAL has very little to offer us. But then we're only in our mid 60's.

You are exactly right, OlsSalt. For us right now we like Celebrity for their evening fun times and shows and multiple lectures on sea days. We like Oceania for their GREAT food and longer itineraries that go to some cool places around the world. We like Crystal every once in awhile when we just want to be wowed, especially on sea days with over 50+ things to do plus some great lecturers. We also like Disney and Princess when we go on family cruises with our grandkids.

HAL no longer fits in our future cruising plans except for maybe a Prinsendam cruise to the Polar Ice Cap as none of our new go-to cruise lines do that yet. Other than that, HAL has very little to offer us. But then we're only in our mid 60's.

Glad you found options that work best for you. So long.

Well said.

On the bright side, your next cruise ship has a lovely library, gorgeous Crow's Nest. We have had good soloists and lecturers on that ship in the past so I have my fingers croosed (yn).