Has anyone heard about excursion restrictions in Cozumel yet?

saraet4464

I just read this article that explosive devices were found on ferries to and from cruise ships to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. According to the article, Carnival and Royal Caribbean were several shore excursions in these areas for the safety of passengers.

Here s the article:https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-and-royal-cancel-cruise-excursions-following-state-department-warning/

We are sailing on the Vista March 18th and Cozumel is one of our ports. Fortunately, we booked our excursion through Carnival so if it is cancelled Carnival will refund us.

Does anyone else know more about this?

The only problem is with the ferries, nothing else.

Those excursions that use the ferries are looong treks anyway and I'd much prefer to spend my time relaxing and doing something than sitting on a bus(after the ferry ride)

The only problem is with the ferries, nothing else.

Those excursions that use the ferries are looong treks anyway and I'd much prefer to spend my time relaxing and doing something than sitting on a bus(after the ferry ride)

I agree with this. We did a tulum/beach/lunch excursion last year. Got sick on the ferry and then spent more time on the bus than at the sites. Tulum was amazing though... no regrets there. However, I don’t think I’ll take that long trek again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Canceling a port stop in Cozumel because of a problem on the ferry is like canceling a trip to NYC because there was a problem with a bike running people over on a walkway. The whole city is not in danger because of one incident.

I wonder if some of the four-day itineraries that call only at Cozumel will change to Costa Maya or Progreso.

The vast majority of activities and excursions occur on the island and do not involve ferries. I would anticipate no itinerary changes.

My pal who works at the consulate in Guadalajara sent me what the consulate there said, no State Dept. employees are to use the ferries in those areas now. Glad to see CCL is following suit but sad to see terrorism not related to drugs has touched our neighbor to the south. Thank goodness we have strong leadership in the Western Hemisphere in President Trump regarding terrorism.

In college the 4 of us were in Cancun and some guy said he had a great boat and snorkeling package with beer included for 25 bucks, cash on. We all agreed to do it. Next there is 8 of us on a tiny boat with just the guy driving the boat. We were hitting some big waves, more that the boat filled with 9 could handle.

The 8 of us are out in the Gulf of Mexico, two of the guys in the group were holding onto nothing more than lifesavers in the rough surf. The guy was drifting further and further away as he wasn't anchored and I look and see him drinking beer and smoking pot. I am 19, 15 miles or so from a different country and it hit me:

we didn't sign any papers

we all paid cash

there was no one out here but the 8 of us and some drunken and high guy on a boat built for 6

we were swimming near a reef where I had seen 6-7 baracuudas

So I tell the group, "He could easily just head to shore without us and no one would know." We all starting screaming and swimming towards him and the 6 of us get to the boat and it took him a good 10 minutes to start the boat and then go get the other two floating alone in the Gulf. And to boot, he dropped us off far from where we met him, so we had to try and grab a local bus to get back to the hotel.

From then on, I only use the best............... Be careful

My pal who works at the consulate in Guadalajara sent me what the consulate there said, no State Dept. employees are to use the ferries in those areas now. Glad to see CCL is following suit but sad to see terrorism not related to drugs has touched our neighbor to the south. Thank goodness we have strong leadership in the Western Hemisphere in President Trump regarding terrorism.

:D:D:D:D:D:D, thanks for the laugh.

:D:D:D:D:D:D, thanks for the laugh.

What are you laughing at??? Doing a hell of alot more than his predecessor in trying to secure our boarders and in Middle East. Just hope Cruiselines abide more closely to US Travel alerts..... Hate to say it but a cruise ship and activity around ports is a sitting duck for a possible terrorist act. Fortunately Middle east type terror hasn't reached the caribbean....but the recent bomb plantings on ferry's makes me wonder what could be next??

What are you laughing at??? Doing a hell of alot more than his predecessor in trying to secure our boarders and in Middle East. Just hope Cruiselines abide more closely to US Travel alerts..... Hate to say it but a cruise ship and activity around ports is a sitting duck for a possible terrorist act. Fortunately Middle east type terror hasn't reached the caribbean....but the recent bomb plantings on ferry's makes me wonder what could be next??

While the second half of your post is relevant, this is not the thread to get all political. Save it for another board.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Breeze today and yes any excursions in Cozumel that involved using the ferries to the mainland were cancelled and refunded. This was announced about an hour before we docked and I'm with Carnival on being cautious. We always do a beach day in Cozumel anyway and were not affected and don't know how many people were but it sounded like there were quite a few excursions that were cancelled. I think if I was cruising soon and had Cozumel as a port I would not book anything that involved the ferries as I'm sure it was a mad dash to figure out what to do at the last minute. If you plan to book these excursions then have a back up plan.

We also just got off the Breeze.

They only cancelled excursions that required using the ferry to Playa del Carmen.

We have a friend who lives in Cozumel that we were visiting while there.

He said that there are only a few ferry companies that make that run and one of them had really started taking over the route.

While it used to be a lot more expensive to travel between the two, prices have dropped from about $20 US to about $6 US (for the locals) due to the competition.

He said that there had been talk of trying to raise the prices back up but It meets a lot of opposition because so many locals use the ferry to travel to work.

He said many locals think this is less a "true" terrorist attack and more a tactic to disrupt ferry service so prices can be raised.

We asked a few other locals their opinion later and they gave us similar answers, so it could be the case.

But we weren't worried because we weren't using the ferry anyway and had a great lunch at our friend's house!😊

for those who just return and the ferry was canceled. Did you notice, or could you tell, an increase in the crowds on the non-ferry excursions. I read somewhere where the island excursions the town in general were quite a bit busier due to the cancellations.