is cruising for us?

k8c

Try it! And please make her go to the teen club the first day. She’ll make friends. If. It you’ll know you tried. Yes the cruising mice are tasty[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But, we aren't big fans of crowds.

This one phrase makes me cautious about recommending a cruise, though you might like it.

I like lots of different travel styles, and cruising isn't quite my favorite, but it has its highlights, and I enjoy it occasionally.

The thing I like about cruising is that, once you step aboard, you can do as much or as little as you want. There are no important deadlines. While there may be a set time for formal dinner, you're under no obligation to go, and if you miss a formal dinner, there will always be plenty of food available elsewhere on the ship, including free room service. Sure, there are other scheduled activities and shows, but they're all optional. While you're on the ship, the logistics are totally up to the crew. Food appears, and dirty plates magically disappear. Most of the travel happens while you're asleep. Your hotel is your vehicle, and it's a vehicle without seatbelts. You can roam around at your leisure, or stay in your room if you wish. If you're the type who enjoys relaxing on the balcony, you can do as much of that as you please (provided you get a balcony stateroom).

When you go ashore, you do have to be mindful of the time, because it is absolutely vital to be back on board before the ship sails -- they won't hold up a 3,000 passenger vessel for two tourists who should have known better. (if I arrive at the ship an hour before they tell us to be on board, I feel like I'm late). But when you're on board, just relax.

The thing I dislike about cruising is that there is no mistaking that you are experiencing mass-produced, industrialized tourism. Depending on your ship, there are something like 3,000 other tourists aboard. When you go into a small port, all of you invade the same small town at once, and you all have just a few hours to see something, spend some money, and get back to the ship. You won't get to experience a sleepy tropical port town's character that way. On board the ship, there can be crowds and lines for popular activities. Mealtimes can be a bustle. Getting on and off the ship, especially at tender ports, can involve some waiting in line.

Is it for you? I don't know, maybe. A week at a sleepy not-so-developed beach town in Central America might suit you better. Maybe.

Thanks again, everyone. As a single mom, it's not really an option to just decide to try it. That's a LOT of money in our household. Vacations happen once every few years. I will certainly avail myself of the resources here should we decide to take one in the next few years.

But, we aren't big fans of crowds.

This one phrase makes me cautious about recommending a cruise, though you might like it.......The thing I dislike about cruising is that there is no mistaking that you are experiencing mass-produced, industrialized tourism. Depending on your ship, there are something like 3,000 other tourists aboard.

But there are many ships that aren't 2000+ passengers (let alone 3000), and lots of options for cruising in the <1000 passenger size.

Thanks again, everyone. As a single mom, it's not really an option to just decide to try it. That's a LOT of money in our household. Vacations happen once every few years. I will certainly avail myself of the resources here should we decide to take one in the next few years.

That's a sensible approach. Unless you enjoy cruising as an activity in and or itself it is best to consider cruise vacations in the context of what your objectives are. There are situations where a cruise can make sense but in others there are less expensive or more appealing options.

Being a Midwest cruiser myself, one of the obvious things you need to consider is how to get to the ship. While I haven't branched out from my first cruise line yet, I have sailed from a few different ports and can give some insight on travel from the Midwest.

Baltimore is an 7-8 hour drive for us and you can find good park-stay-cruise packages at certain hotels. But as your co-traveler can't drive yet (most states are 16), that might be a bit more driving than you would want. But as it is close-ish, flights into Baltimore are normally on the cheaper end. If you pick an early flight not during the winter season, you should be fine to fly in the morning of (but just make sure you have some wiggle room for unexpected delays). The downside to Baltimore is that as most people want to go someplace warm, the cruises are normally 7 nights as it takes time to get to the Bahamas.

Port Canaveral is host to a few ships but the closest airport is Orlando and then it is an hour drive over to the port. Rental cars are easy to come by and most of the companies know that people rent to go between cruise and flight.

Fort Lauderdale is the closest I've ever seen an airport to a cruise port. Taxi or Uber between the two is no more than 10 minutes tops.

Both Orlando and Fort Lauderdale have relatively inexpensive flights, many of which are direct and both cruise ports offer the possibilities of shorter itineraries.

My other recommendation is to check out ones that sail from Galveston Tx. You would need to fly into Huston (Hobby) and flights are moderately reasonable there. Downside again is that it is an hour drive to the port. Upside though is normally cruises that start from this location are on the cheaper end.

Another few ideas on saving some cash:

Book early. I've seen really good deals the moment that cruises are listed and prices are normally adjusted up later. But once you book, check your cruise price regularly. If there is a drop in price, call up the cruise line or your TA and ask for the price to be adjusted and it will be (depending on cruise lines, they stop doing this at certain times, ie 90 days before sailing). Keep a lookout if a better room location becomes available in the same cabin class and you can just switch over.

We just got back from a 7 day cruise and I would cautiously recommend it based on the limited amount I got from your posts.

We were on the Pride out of Baltimore (smaller ship ~2000 pax) so not very crowded except debarkation day - depending on your definition of crowds. The ship has a few nice quiet areas out of the way if you want to avoid the crowds too (but your daughter would not be able to do Serenity). I saw a few teens quietly reading in the Sunset Garden (an interior promenade with seating and windows. Anytime dining would limit the amount of scheduled times, and if you go at non-peak hours the popular lido options weren't very crowded (Guys/Blue Iguana/Pizza).

Our stops were Princess Cay (private island), Nassau, Freeport. Many itineraries include a private beach, and PC had one side with very few people on it so it never felt crowded. There is usually a brief tender ride, but it you are right at the beach when you arrive. At Nassau I would probably stay on the ship to avoid crowds/save some money. In Freeport we took the ship sponsored Kayak excursion and it was amazing. You and your daughter might have fun with the kayak and then you have a short nature walk followed by a light lunch and time on the most beautiful beach we've been so far. Very private - we had 3 groups of 10 for our trip.

K8c, specifically what vacations have you and your daughter enjoyed in the past and why? Furthermore which were busts? Unless you have a fear of water, the variety of cruises available should mean something out there will be a fit. There are crowds with lots of vacation destinations like Vegas and Cancun, but you can hide out at the resort and have a great time. Same on a ship-spring for a balcony and lots of people spend half the cruise out there. If you want cabin-in-the-woods seclusion then you need a cabana somewhere in the Caribbean for a week rather than a cruise. I found Celebrity to be very relaxing and easy to avoid people compared to Disney and Carnival where I felt more of a sense of energy and nonstop activity. Budget also comes into play. If you have to travel during school breaks then prices will be higher. I find spring break prices a bit better than summer but flights are more so it balances out unless you are close enough to drive to a port. And we cats don’t want you to kill a mouse if you’re just going to spit it out and curse its kind ever after!! [emoji846]

Well this one is a hard one since we really don't know you or your daughter.

My suggestion is that you speak with friends who know you both and who have cruised to see what they say.

Keith

This is one of the best pieces of advice given on these boards. A lot of people on these boards know a fair amount about cruising - but they tend to be pro-cruising, people who know you can give much better advice.

My mom has been taking me on cruises since I was 2 years old and as a single mom since I was 13. We love the special time away together. Even the planning is a great bonding experience. Definitely look around and find the cruise line that is best for you and then look into the right itinerary. It sounds like the Caribbean may be your cup of tea, but check out everything.

You don’t need to attend all of the activities or socialize with all of the people if you don’t want. I’m pretty introverted and tend to spend most of my cruise time just chilling with Mom. Good luck!

I realize that this is like...asking a cat if mice are tasty. :) But, I need informed opinions.

I am a single mom to a 14-year-old. We enjoy traveling, and have traveled both in the US and across Europe. She loves to go to the beach and to swim. But, we aren't big fans of crowds. The teen club wouldn't appeal to her at all. We both need some quiet and some downtime when we're on vacation.

Would we enjoy a cruise? She is interested and I am hesitant. I think it will be too much scheduled time and too many people. But...I don't know. That's why I've come to ask the experts!

Your input is welcome. :>

There really isn't any scheduled time, other than the life boat drill at the start of the cruise. Other than that you are free to be as active or chilled as you want.

Indeed, cruising has many options. I've been on the RCCL Allure with some 5000 passengers (and had a grand time) and I've been on Windstar Spirit with only 120 passengers and Viking Ocean with only 900 passengers. I also don't need to be constantly entertained and love to sit on my balcony and read or just enjoy watching the ocean. Sort through all the good recommendations here, perhaps contact a good travel agent to assist you in your search for a cruise line/ship that matches up to your needs and then just go and enjoy!

Hi and welcome :)

It is true that cruising is not for everyone. However, you are much more likely to find a good fit if you do your research first. Hang around on this site to read and ask questions so you get feel for the various cruise lines and ships. Ask people you know who have cruised and ask them about their experience. Once/if you have found something that sounds as if it will suit, start looking into itineraries, prices etc.