insulated mug

Is it frowned upon to bring a few insulated mugs on the cruise? I was thinking while the Mrs's is in the shower in the morning I can go down and get us a few coffees and bring them back to the room while we continue to get ready before going down for breakfast.

Todd

Is it frowned upon to bring a few insulated mugs on the cruise? I was thinking while the Mrs's is in the shower in the morning I can go down and get us a few coffees and bring them back to the room while we continue to get ready before going down for breakfast.

Todd

No problem, as long as you use a clean cup or glass to fill them. They don't want your mug to touch any of the common filling spouts.

It is our usual ritual in the morning. I get up before the DH, and then go up with our mugs to get coffee to bring back to the cabin while he gets ready.

As Bob mentioned....I fill the paper cups at the machine, then transfer the coffee to our mugs, which we take on every cruise. Is much easier to handle on the stairs and hallways.

Enjoy! :)

I bring a stainless steel insulated mug with me on the ship. I always get up before DW and I like to walk around the ship with my cup of coffee. The spouts on the coffee machines are high enough that my mug fits under them with plenty of room to spare.

We always bring ours since they tend to keep the coffee warmer longer. In fact we picked up two from Sams Club to use on our cruises. We do now add our room number to our...Forgot one at breakfast one time to never be seen again. Not sure if the room number will help or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Will I need the mug with a chip to use Freestyle machines so is there a way to use a key card or WOW band? I would also prefer to use my double wall mug to stay cold longer. And I'm sure it's bigger than the mug provided with the soda package.

Will I need the mug with a chip to use Freestyle machines so is there a way to use a key card or WOW band? I would also prefer to use my double wall mug to stay cold longer. And I'm sure it's bigger than the mug provided with the soda package.

The chip needed to operate the Freestyle machine is in the bottom of the cups they provide with drink packages. Your mug won't work. However there is a video out there showing how to break the provided cup to get the chip out so you can tape it to your cruise card.

Filling your own mug from their cup may or may not work. We have seen where the machine won't let you get another drink for a few minutes. Irritating when you are waiting for the foam to go down and it won't let you complete the fill.

We always bring an insulated mug for coffee. Even if your mug fits under it I would still use the cups provided by Royal and then transfer. You never know if you might accidently touch the machine. As someone who might see this I would be concerned.

Thank you for all the replies. One poster suggested room service. Is there a charge for this? I thought I read it was free ( for basic breakfast items) but then saw that there was an 18% gratuity???

Room service is free for continental breakfast items in the morning. No gratuity is automatically added to a free room service delivery.

If you choose items that are not on the continental breakfast list, and/or place an order outside of the morning breakfast period, then the charge is $7.95 per order plus 18%.

We always bring an insulated mug for coffee. Even if your mug fits under it I would still use the cups provided by Royal and then transfer. You never know if you might accidently touch the machine. As someone who might see this I would be concerned.

That is what we do also, even though indeed our mugs can fit under the nozzle. It will also avoid those "raised eyebrows" to do it that correct way. ;)

Thank you for all the replies. One poster suggested room service. Is there a charge for this? I thought I read it was free ( for basic breakfast items) but then saw that there was an 18% gratuity???

Well, how can there be an 18% gratuity on something for which there is no charge? You really should tip the delivery person though since they are not included in the autotips.

The new double insulated mugs are really awesome. I find it hard to believe how long they can keep coffee hot. We don’t buy the name brand and expensive Yeti’s but the cheaper brands that work just as well. I’ve test them all and for the money...Yeti is overpriced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I recommend taking a 30oz insulated tumbler as well, double walled. Use for hot coffee in morning and cold beverages later. Outpreforms the freestyle tumblers at keeping your drink cold. Also good at night to keep ice water in.

Agreed that I wouldn't take a $30 + mug with me like a Yeti. Look for brands like Rtic or Atkin. Currently priced on amazon between 14 - 17 each.

We do the same as noted above. We are also in a JS and bring instant coffee or Folgers coffee that looks like a tea bag. Then we use the coffee or tea maker to make hot water. Sometimes we like coffee at night and don't want to get dressed to go out for it.

Walmart has a stainless steel Ozark Trail for under $10. I've seen them on sale as low as $5-7 depending on size. Seems to keep things cold well enough -- has been great for school lunches -- especially since it's come home every day so far. It had pretty good reviews.

Agreed that I wouldn't take a $30 + mug with me like a Yeti. Look for brands like Rtic or Atkin. Currently priced on amazon between 14 - 17 each.

My husband and I each have an RTIC; brought it on our last cruise to keep hydrated on the pool deck. Performs just as well as a Yeti for a fraction of the price. FYI first time my husband used it for coffee, he burned his mouth and ended up spitting it out all over our deck (and he likes it pretty hot) -- it stays HOT for significantly longer than your regular tumbler.

Agree with the RTIC comments. We have friends that were die hard Yeti groupies and they have now switched to the RTICs and so we tried them as well. You can get them in all sorts of personalized colors and styles and spend way less! We have both, but often forget which is which unless we look at the brand symbol.