Golden dry dock

moki'smommy

A bit curious myself as I will board Golden in Alaska May 26.

My guess is much of what will be done, beyond the obligatory scheduled below-the-waterline maintenance, is dependent on the shape Princess is obligated to deliver her in to P&O Australia in 2020.

Golden Princess is not mentioned in the rollout schedule for the new Discovery at Sea upgrades to the kids/teens clubs.

Will they even bother to paint the Sea Witch livery on the bow given that it will be painted over in less than two years?

Or change to the new Sabatini's menu?

Or replacing the tables and chairs in the Horizon Court? Again in two years presumably the buffet will be reconfigured by P&O to the food court type layout of the rest of its fleet. So unless contractually obligated what will Princess do for the interim?

I could see replacing the MUTS screen as was done on several other ships' drydocks. If life expired it has to be done no matter how soon the ship is to be sold.

In one of the Golden roll calls (not my sailing, I was just nosing around other Alaska roll calls) someone continues to insist that Golden will be receiving the Ocean Medallion despite Princess completely abandoning the previously announced timetable until Regal Princess is complete and working. Which if I was a betting man would take a flyer on that not happening before Golden leaves in 2020 :p

In one of the Golden roll calls (not my sailing, I was just nosing around other Alaska roll calls) someone continues to insist that Golden will be receiving the Ocean Medallion despite Princess completely abandoning the previously announced timetable until Regal Princess is complete and working. Which if I was a betting man would take a flyer on that not happening before Golden leaves in 2020 :p

Sooner or later, all CCL Corp ships will have Medallion technology and that includes P&O Australia. So if it is put on the Golden before going to P&O, it will not be a waste in the overall scheme of things.

Oh Oh, propulsion problems. We are doing a Transpacific 17 days with Golden in April out of Yokohama. Better get ready for perhaps an extra long "lost at sea" journey. Ha ha.

We are on that same cruise as part of a longer cruise (from Singapore). It was reported here on CC (over a month ago) that the Golden was experiencing some propulsion issues that reduced the ships top speed and impacted some port calls. Perhaps this info was in error...since we have not seen much more in recent weeks. But if there is an issue it will hopefully be corrected during the upcoming drydock. Since the Golden has fixed pitched props one would assume any issue might something as simple as worn bearings or the need for some engine maintenance (often easily accomplished during drydock).

Hank

Nice web site. It says that the Golden will be getting *****....which we all can surmise may or may not be happening. Says nothing else of what is planned for the dry dock.

Given the huge fiasco the ***** has become on the Regal....one wonders if it will be expanded to other ships. It was supposed to be fully functional on the Regal back in December.....but it just "ain't" happening.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

As we were disembarking in a Singapore some of the refit crew were already on board. Managed a quick chat and was told the following :- Deck ' Carpeting ' to be replaced on several outer decks. Cabin leaks to be welded and repaired, Interior doors to be replaced, problems with the water supply to be resolved. The guy i spoke to also believes that the enigne is having a big service. The staff will be staying on board for a deep clean of the entire boat. Don't expect any major changes as the ship is going to P&O soon so why spend more than you have too .

You can add the installation of ***** which has been occurring over the last couple of days according to the couple of crew we caught with up today. With large flat panels being installed all over the ship and sensors by the cabin doors.

Leave it to you to decide if it is a good thing or not.....

Oh Oh, propulsion problems. We are doing a Transpacific 17 days with Golden in April out of Yokohama. Better get ready for perhaps an extra long "lost at sea" journey. Ha ha.

Maybe we will get an extra day in Russia or the Aleutians.....might be fun....:) :) :)

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know if Golden is getting new kids club update?

Previous reports are that Golden has adopted the new Camp Discovery format, but will not do the physical renovations to the kids/teens rooms.

Note Golden's absence from the rollout schedule:

The Youth & Teen Center design revitalizations are now available on board Grand Princess, Caribbean Princess, Majestic Princess and Regal Princess, Sea Princess, Island Princess, Star Princess and Crown Princess. And will debut on Sun Princess (Jul 2018) and Ruby Princess (Oct 2018), Royal Princess (Dec 2018), Coral Princess (Jan 2019), and Emerald Princess (Apr 2019). Please note this schedule is subject to change.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/kids-and-teens/

Sounds like you are guessing and wondering much as I am. We have a cruise on her this summer....no real need to know' date=' I guess. I'm just curious.[/quote']

I'm wondering as well as I'll be on her next April.....:):):)

Bob

Previous reports are that Golden has adopted the new Camp Discovery format, but will not do the physical renovations to the kids/teens rooms.

The Youth & Teen Center design revitalizations are now available on board Grand Princess, Caribbean Princess, Majestic Princess and Regal Princess, Sea Princess, Island Princess, Star Princess and Crown Princess. And will debut on Sun Princess (Jul 2018) and Ruby Princess (Oct 2018), Royal Princess (Dec 2018), Coral Princess (Jan 2019), and Emerald Princess (Apr 2019). Please note this schedule is subject to change.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/kids-and-teens/

I saw that. A few months ago it was listed as coming April 2018 when we booked the cruise. I was hoping it was maybe done in dry dock and just not updated on list...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the golden just prior to the dry dock and our son was using the kids club.

Yes they are operating on the new Camp Discovery format and the rooms have been given a minor upgrade. Kind of the poor cousins version compared to the kids club he had on Sea Princess at Christmas which has had the complete makeover.

None the less the kids seem to still have just as much fun.