t

Woodstove

We like to keep things simple. We leave the auto-grats in place. For $14.50/day, Celebrity figures out how to divvy up the tips. That is all that is expected of you. If a crew member has gone out of the way to be helpful to us, we give a little extra on the last night of the cruise, but that is optional.

A "tip" before service isn't a tip, it's a bribe. Call it what it is.

Auto tips take care of your cabin attendant and MDR/buffet servers. Tip is included on the bill in the bars. Anything else, tip after.

I don't mind tipping for good service. To me the gratituties are just another tax- I don't consider it as tips. Tips should be more personal.

Disagree. I'm glad the Celebrity doesn't consider gratuities a tax.:rolleyes: I know I don't!

We like to keep things simple. We leave the auto-grats in place. For $14.50/day, Celebrity figures out how to divvy up the tips. That is all that is expected of you. If a crew member has gone out of the way to be helpful to us, we give a little extra on the last night of the cruise, but that is optional.

Agree.

TIPS are what is given before and talking to some workers on board they often look at them as bribes and don’t like it because those that do it sometimes expect to get special attention, are demanding and rude. They would rather receive the gratuity after as their reward and not as if you felt that you had to pay before to get their service.

A gratuity is from the root, gratitude, for service that was performed and is given at the end in appreciation and gratitude. The cruise lines always call them gratuities and any check you get in a restuarant has a line for gratuities and not tips. People will sometime use them as one and the same but they really aren’t.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

A tip before service isn't a bribe. It's more accurately described as a "facilitating payment." They are going to serve you regardless but the additional payment is in an attempt to encourage better, faster or more attentive service.

To avoid potential awkwardness make the payment after your first service. Usually you have the same dinner server for the entire voyage. You might also consider doing the same if you have pre-dinner cocktails at the same bar with the same bartender.

These payments are not necessary however and relying entirely on the auto-tips is certainly acceptable.