Dress Code

CjoHammond

Help! I am super confused by the dress code. The Celebrity website says one thing and the Cruise Critic says another. If someone could help me clear it up that would be great! I had planned on only packing dressy shorts for dinner, but from what it looks like, I have to either wear pants or a dress? And is my husband allowed to just wear a polo shirt to dinner? And can he wear dressy shorts also, or does he have to wear pants? And the tank top rule...Is that just no sporty tank tops, or no dressy tank tops either? I am trying to fit everything in one carry-on bag for my 7-night cruise, so I would like to not have to change 3 times a day. Any help would be appreciated!(yn):confused:

Help! I am super confused by the dress code. The Celebrity website says one thing and the Cruise Critic says another. If someone could help me clear it up that would be great! I had planned on only packing dressy shorts for dinner, but from what it looks like, I have to either wear pants or a dress? And is my husband allowed to just wear a polo shirt to dinner? And can he wear dressy shorts also, or does he have to wear pants? And the tank top rule...Is that just no sporty tank tops, or no dressy tank tops either? I am trying to fit everything in one carry-on bag for my 7-night cruise, so I would like to not have to change 3 times a day. Any help would be appreciated!(yn):confused:

You'll likely get tons of feedback on this but here is the real deal:

For men, Shorts, no. Slacks, yes. Polo shirt fine, even on "chic" nights (although some others will dress more).

Dressy tank tops, no problem. Sporty tank tops, no and none for men.

On Silhouette recently, there were passengers who were not allowed entrance into the MDR for dinner as they had on shorts. I was surprised --but the dress code monitors were out. A collared polo shirt is fine. Yes, wear a dress or slacks of some kind to dinner.

On Silhouette recently, there were passengers who were not allowed entrance into the MDR for dinner as they had on shorts. I was surprised --but the dress code monitors were out. A collared polo shirt is fine. Yes, wear a dress or slacks of some kind to dinner.

The one thing you can bank on is no shorts in any Dining rooms except the buffet. This applies to dinner only.

Welcome to CC. Not sure what you are reading on CC. The Maitre D always has the last word on the ship for "his" dining room.

You'll likely get tons of feedback on this but here is the real deal:

For men, Shorts, no. Slacks, yes. Polo shirt fine, even on "chic" nights (although some others will dress more).

Dressy tank tops, no problem. Sporty tank tops, no and none for men.

Spot on. I'll only add that lots of women, including me, wore nicer looking capris to dinner but not on chic nights.

One thing is clear, shorts aren't allowed in any of the MDRs or specialty restaurants after 6pm. That rule may be waived on the first night, in case some passengers haven't received their luggage, but the maitre d' will most likely give you a polite reminder of the dress code as you leave.

Women may wear dressy sleeveless tops and dresses in the MDR. Man must wear sleeves. Short sleeves are allowed according to the website and sign at the MDR entrance. Polo shirts are fine, but your husband may want to pack a dress shirt for the two Chic nights.

Now, I have a question for you. How do you fit seven days worth of clothes for two people in one carry-on bag?

Read the information directly from the company you will be sailing with and ask any clarifying questions here. Never take what one person on here says as gospel if it contradicts the company's policy because ultimately the company will be able to point to the policy. Some people on here are also flat-out wrong, even if they have lots of posts.

I am trying to fit everything in one carry-on bag for my 7-night cruise, so I would like to not have to change 3 times a day. Any help would be appreciated!(yn):confused:

I absolutely love packing cubes in order to keep everything into my carry on (+ one small personal items for meds, toiletries, etc). You can keep your clothing a lot less wrinkled as it isn't constantly getting shifted around or rustled up. Pack carefully and you will be able to compress your clothing into those cubes. What I really love about these packing cubes when I have to spend a night or two before / after the cruise; for this, I pack an entire outfit in each cube for each of those days where I don't want to completely unpack everything. Plus, when onboard, they keep my stuff that doesn't need to be unpacked organized once on the cruise. We were able to go on a two week vacation, 3 nights on land ahead of time and 11 nights on a cruise, using this method and got away with having carry on luggage only.

One key is not taking extra shoes ... a nice pair of walking sandals that double as beach sandals, a pair of tennis shoes (on your feet when traveling) and a pair of strappy sandals that can be used for casual and dressy nights. My sandals always fit into my DH's dinner shoes that are packed. If there's room, you can always pack a pair of ballet flats, if that's something you can't live without.

Take travel sized toiletry products only ... and if only a little left, leave them behind when you repack to go home. For some reason, everything seems to expand when repacking at the end of a cruise ... it really doesn't, it just seems that way. By not filling your case back up with half empty toiletries, you will save a bit of frustration on repacking day.

If you tend to buy souvenirs, try to shop only at places that ship them to your home or trade it out with something you've brought that you can live without ... better yet, just buy something small in size. I like to buy one little piece of jewelry and usually wear it home.

My DH will only take 2 polo type shirts and 1 dress shirt with a tie on a 7 night cruise ... no jacket. People really won't judge you if you show up to dinner twice wearing the same top as 3 days prior ... heck, I can pretty much bet they won't even notice.

We do take one small spray bottle of wrinkle release .... but not the 3 oz size it comes in. We use much smaller spray bottles as you won't need much. Miniaturize everything where you can! Even though we usually get free laundry, we take a small bubble pack or two of Woolite. Instead of packing all this stuff into bulky cosmetic cases, use Ziploc bags.

Things like sunscreen take up a lot of room but they usually have some nice brands onboard. It may cost a bit more but find I am more than willing to purchase some of these items onboard rather than having them take up that valuable space in my carry on.

Don't pack any just in case items except for cold medications. I made that mistake once and there were so many people that were sick that the cold medication stock was completely depleted in the boutique and we had another 4 sea days to get through. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Be sure to take a light jacket / sweater for the evenings around the ship, even if traveling in warm weather. You can use this for layering anyway if traveling somewhere with cooler weather.

Oh ... and there are some really decent looking trousers (for men) that zip off to become shorts that always get packed.

One more item we always take is a strong magnet with a clip to hang up our daily schedule, invitations, important numbers, excursion tickets, etc. All the walls are metal and this keeps the clutter off the desk or table and keeps everything organized.

PS -- sorry, got a little carried away there and went off topic a tad.

Now, I have a question for you. How do you fit seven days worth of clothes for two people in one carry-on bag?

Haha I don't plan on that. I am hoping to each only have a carry-on, but we shall see. I am known for overpacking!:o

Welcome to CC. Not sure what you are reading on CC. The Maitre D always has the last word on the ship for "his" dining room.

Or hers... [emoji12][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have just come back from being on the Constellation and I really don't know why we bothered packing nice stuff to wear in the evenings. I make an effort at home if I go out for a drink in the evening and more of an effort if I go out to a nice restaurant so why is it anything goes in the MDR even on the "chic" nights. The worse thing decision Celebrity made was changing the dress code.

The one thing you can bank on is no shorts in any Dining rooms except the buffet. This applies to dinner only.

Unless you are a female and then shorts are allowed, both at the elite function and in the MDR, at least on Equinox.

No problem with baseball caps either..

Even the maitre d won't challenge the caps

Torn jeans on Chic night... no problem as long as the jeans cost more than $20..;p

Unless you are a female and then shorts are allowed, both at the elite function and in the MDR, at least on Equinox.

Torn jeans on Chic night... no problem as long as the jeans cost more than $20..;p

Sorry, I was just on Equinox and that is definitely not true about the MDR, can't comment on the Elite function. Everyone can provide one or two examples but don't know the circumstances such as someone not getting luggage. The rule on Celebrity ships is no shorts, period unless there are special circumstances and sometime on the first night.

Haha I don't plan on that. I am hoping to each only have a carry-on, but we shall see. I am known for overpacking!:o

I'm an overpacker. I spend weeks getting my stuff together, put it all in the suitcase and it won't close. I take out half the clothes and put in the stuff I forgot the first time. When it won't close, I take some of my stuff out and put it in my husband's suitcase. That's the fringe benefit I get from being the packer. He always wonders why his suitcase is so heavy. :D:D

Why would anyone feel the need to wear a baseball cap in a dining room?

We were in suite restaurant last week 2 people had baseball caps every night, when on of them removed his shoes we then requested another table far from the hillbillies

The person could be wearing a hat for health, religious or cultural reasons.

My nephew lost his hair in his teens due to an illness. He was so self-conscious that he wore a baseball cap in public. One Sunday morning, an elderly busy body read him the riot act in church before mass started. He was so embarrassed that he stopped going to church. It may seem extreme, but he felt violated.

We were in suite restaurant last week 2 people had baseball caps every night, when on of them removed his shoes we then requested another table far from the hillbillies

Talking about shoes (for men) do the shoes have to be closed toed. I always dress up. But would like to wear nice dress pants and shirt and nice (expensive) sandals. Do they look at your feet when going dining? we are in Luminae

They don't allow flip-flops but full sandals should be fine. Please get a pedicure if you're not going to wear socks.

LOL Leaving next week and got a pedi today. All my buddies raz me about this. A friend just texted me and asked what color polish I got put on. I don't care!! They don't know what they are missing.

LOL Leaving next week and got a pedi today. All my buddies raz me about this. A friend just texted me and asked what color polish I got put on. I don't care!! They don't know what they are missing.

So right, I get them with wife largely because I’m Diabetic. They feel so great.