Water, water everywhere but costs like Champagne to Drink?

ALPHYL

And remember, BEER is 90% or more (usually) water, and it’s bottled, and most is covered by the UBP....WINNING!

Love the positivity!!! And the laugh!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When one sees what plastic garbage is doing to the oceans, I would claim water bottle prices are too low.

Well, maybe those dolphins and fish should recycle instead of just throwing their garbage away. Don't understand why Flipper drinks bottled water instead of ocean water. They are very irresponsible.

In regards to baby formula, it’s sold next to distilled water, so I figured you were supposed to use distilled water; which is very different than arguing bottled vs tap water. But, I’ve never used powdered formula, so I don’t know how important using distilled water vs tap water truly is.

People going on a mega ship cruise are outraged over 12 plastic water bottles. Pot meet kettle.

In the US, the local water district will have an annual or semi-annual report on the impurities in the water, and recommendations regarding it's use for babies, people with compromised immune systems and other people that should avoid the contaminants. I have lived in an area where the official recommendation was that baby formula should not be mixed with the tap water and regular bottled water should be used (not distilled water, which has it's own deleterious health effects). One was due to nitrates (or nitrites) in the water due to a superfund chemical dump site leeching into the aquifer

California now recycles waste water into the drinking water supplies, so I always say "goodbye, for now" when I flush the toilet. The recycled water is actually as safe as regular ground water because they assure us all the poo is gone.

In the US, the local water district will have an annual or semi-annual report on the impurities in the water, and recommendations regarding it's use for babies, people with compromised immune systems and other people that should avoid the contaminants. I have lived in an area where the official recommendation was that baby formula should not be mixed with the tap water and regular bottled water should be used (not distilled water, which has it's own deleterious health effects). One was due to nitrates (or nitrites) in the water due to a superfund chemical dump site leeching into the aquifer

California now recycles waste water into the drinking water supplies, so I always say "goodbye, for now" when I flush the toilet. The recycled water is actually as safe as regular ground water because they assure us all the poo is gone.

Tap water is fine in most places. My town sends out quarterly reports. Plus, using the tap, you can instantly make it whatever temperature you want.

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/all-around/Pages/Is-Your-Drinking-Water-Safe.aspx

Still more expensive, more calories than water.

LOL, who goes on a cruise to count calories? And to price, can you get all the bottled you can drink a day for $18 On NCL?

You know I’m just joking around, right? But the money thing is real. :)

To the Ketel One fan, I used to drink it too, now I’m partial to Tito’s...I have no idea if NCL pours it...

Have you tried the Kirkland Signature Vodka Costco sells? Hard to beat for the price...

To the Ketel One fan, I used to drink it too, now I’m partial to Tito’s...I have no idea if NCL pours it...

Have you tried the Kirkland Signature Vodka Costco sells? Hard to beat for the price...

No, but I’m adventurous. I’m willing to try new things.

As far as Kirkland, I hear you. I periodically buy a cote de rhone from them which is surprisingly good. I mean, it’s not opus, but for the price it’s a great deal.

So I googled what water to use for baby formula and the answer is: de-florinated water (deionized, distilled, etc) and NOT florinated tap water (which would be every municipal water source in the US).

It has nothing to do with water quality per se and everything to do with babies getting too much fluoride if fed with formula made with fluoridated tap water. If you do use tap water you are supposed to switch that out with deionized water half the time when preparing powdered formula.

I don't mind the water being expensive. I do mind that I can't get a small sized water bottle and easily keep many in my room. (NOT a liter!). Of course I can bring on empty water bottles but really, should I have to? And then have to go fill them myself by a rather awkward method? No. This is stupid. However, I have chosen to cruise a line with a stupid policy. That's my choice. I have to live with it.

I don't mind the water being expensive. I do mind that I can't get a small sized water bottle and easily keep many in my room. (NOT a liter!). Of course I can bring on empty water bottles but really, should I have to? And then have to go fill them myself by a rather awkward method? No. This is stupid. However, I have chosen to cruise a line with a stupid policy. That's my choice. I have to live with it.

It's a rough life, isn't it?

and NOT florinated tap water (which would be every municipal water source in the US).

Actually, not every municipal water source has fluoridated water. (Fluoridation is the process of adding fluorine to a public water source - not fluorination.) Several states have less than 50% of their population receiving fluoridated water.

Actually, not every municipal water source has fluoridated water. (Fluoridation is the process of adding fluorine to a public water source - not fluorination.) Several states have less than 50% of their population receiving fluoridated water.

No fluoride here, I had to give my kids fluoride drops after 6 months of age.

Wow! I know well water is often not fluoridated, but didn’t know if municipal water systems in the US not adding fluoride to the water. That’s straight out bad for public health. I wonder why any system would do that.

Wow! I know well water is often not fluoridated, but didn’t know if municipal water systems in the US not adding fluoride to the water. That’s straight out bad for public health. I wonder why any system would do that.

About 1/3 does not add fluoride.

My town has water from 2 sources. The north side of town has fluoride added, the south side does not. There's a California state law that water providers have to add fluoride - but only if they have money for it, and the money for this typically comes from federal or state grants, or private donations.

I’ve been on the Epic twice in the last year, and there was Ketel One served both times. Matter of fact, I was in the DOS, and one of my three bottles was Ketel One. Had to upgrade from Smirnoff, but yeah, they definitely have Ketel One. I assume in order to keep the experience the same fleet wide, it’s on all Norwegian ships.

Best news I heard all day! Thanks for letting me know!

Hopefully it will be part of the ubp. 🙏

Hey all fellow cruisers. I didn't realize my question was going to almost start a war.

Here is my final comment--and I hope all of yours'. Instead, go make a list of what you need to

take on your next trip trip, go pack, go google--just remember that this is my problem and I will

solve it in whatever legitimate ways available to me.Mind you it I must admit it was nice when some people agreed with me.

I accidentally left out an important reason for my need/preference for bottled SPRING water--which everyone is unaware of. I have very sensitive teeth and I can't drink ice water--which would be mostly what everyone suggested. Dasani and Aquafina are NOT Spring water, but actually the same stuff available on the ship--filtered water. And it is an additional way for Coke and Pepsi to ruin even more people's health and pocketbooks than with their soda pop. So even if the water in the cabin and the bars is filtered, it is probably going to have ice in it, or be ice cold, as that is the way most people prefer it.

I do not, and since I must consume a lot of water, it is easier to down it if it doesn't hurt your teeth.

So I never refrigerate my SPRING water, I keep it in various places in my house (like under the sink) where it is easily accessible. Also, I always have a bottle on my nightstand. I too have had the experience of reaching for a glass and ending up having a middle of the night bath!

BTW, the reason diabetics need lots of water is to prevent kidney damage--which is one of the bad side effects of having this disease. And if I have to drink a lot of it, it is my preference to drink what I prefer--what tastes best to me and at room temp.

Just like some people prefer Grey Goose or Ketel One in their Vodka/tonic, I only order Absolut or Smirnoff, I don't drink martinis or V and T's. I drink mixed drinks called Seabreezes and why would one purchase a premium vodka or gin if they are adding grapefruit and/or cranberry juice to it and is beyond me. They could make it without vodka, and I would still love it.

As for the discussion re Oceania and NCL or other similar lines, I'm sure if you added up all the extras you must pay for on NCL and all the inclusions (like airfare) on Oceania, Oceania might even end up less expensive than supposedly mid-class ships. Also, my husband and I hate dressing up. To be able for him to put on a jacket and a nice shirt and for me to wear--whatever--is great. And to choose what time and who you might want to sit with is even better (sometimes just to eat as a couple is a treat too.)

I realize that this discussion could veer off and go on forever--big ship versus small, forward vs. aft, port vs, starboard. Expensive suite or inexpensive inside cabin.

The important thing is to love your choice, that it be what you can afford, and that the travel g-ds

give you sunny days and calm waters. Thanks for all your good, bad, funny and even the nasty answers. It is amazing how with all our opinions we can even occupy this same planet! And, of course, being a Canadian, I can now see how, with so many varying opinions and how truly different we are from Americans. Not better, just different. Safe travels.

Edited by ALPHYL
grammar and typos.

This is not true for "California." Very few municipalities have operable grey water systems (I'm a water commissioner in CA).

So I googled what water to use for baby formula and the answer is: de-florinated water (deionized, distilled, etc) and NOT florinated tap water (which would be every municipal water source in the US).

It has nothing to do with water quality per se and everything to do with babies getting too much fluoride if fed with formula made with fluoridated tap water. If you do use tap water you are supposed to switch that out with deionized water half the time when preparing powdered formula.

Not every municipal water source in the US is fluorinated. Many are not. (Mine is not.)

I accidentally left out an important reason for my need/preference for bottled SPRING water--which everyone is unaware of. I have very sensitive teeth and I can't drink ice water--which would be mostly what everyone suggested. Dasani and Aquafina are NOT Spring water, but actually the same stuff available on the ship--filtered water. And it is an additional way for Coke and Pepsi to ruin even more people's health and pocketbooks than with their soda pop. So even if the water in the cabin and the bars is filtered, it is probably going to have ice in it, or be ice cold, as that is the way most people prefer it.

I do not, and since I must consume a lot of water, it is easier to down it if it doesn't hurt your teeth.

So I never refrigerate my SPRING water, I keep it in various places in my house (like under the sink) where it is easily accessible. Also, I always have a bottle on my nightstand. I too have had the experience of reaching for a glass and ending up having a middle of the night bath!

It sounds as though you have found a solution you are content with, which is fine. But just to note, if you request water with no ice you will have no problem getting it that way. I also have sensitive teeth and prefer beverages room temp so I get that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey all fellow cruisers. I didn't realize my question was going to almost start a war.

Here is my final comment--and I hope all of yours'. Instead, go make a list of what you need to

take on your next trip trip, go pack, go google--just remember that this is my problem and I will

solve it in whatever legitimate ways available to me.Mind you it I must admit it was nice when some people agreed with me.

BTW, the reason diabetics need lots of water is to prevent kidney damage--which is one of the bad side effects of having this disease. And if I have to drink a lot of it, it is my preference to drink what I prefer--what tastes best to me and at room temp.

Just like some people prefer Grey Goose or Ketel One in their Vodka/tonic, I only order Absolut or Smirnoff, I don't drink martinis or V and T's. I drink mixed drinks called Seabreezes and why would one purchase a premium vodka or gin if they are adding grapefruit and/or cranberry juice to it and is beyond me. They could make it without vodka, and I would still love it.

As for the discussion re Oceania and NCL or other similar lines, I'm sure if you added up all the extras you must pay for on NCL and all the inclusions (like airfare) on Oceania, Oceania might even end up less expensive than supposedly mid-class ships. Also, my husband and I hate dressing up. To be able for him to put on a jacket and a nice shirt and for me to wear--whatever--is great. And to choose what time and who you might want to sit with is even better (sometimes just to eat as a couple is a treat too.)

I realize that this discussion could veer off and go on forever--big ship versus small, forward vs. aft, port vs, starboard. Expensive suite or inexpensive inside cabin.

The important thing is to love your choice, that it be what you can afford, and that the travel g-ds

give you sunny days and calm waters. Thanks for all your good, bad, funny and even the nasty answers. It is amazing how with all our opinions we can even occupy this same planet! And, of course, being a Canadian, I can now see how, with so many varying opinions and how truly different we are from Americans. Not better, just different. Safe travels.

Glad you clarified the water issue, but do you realize you could get your water with no ice from the tap in your cabin that is how a lot of us get ours. I too, prefer no ice. Even in a restaurant I request no ice. At home I never drink it ice cold. even in the summer we keep some bottled water out for me and some in the fridge for anyone who enjoys ice water.

As for the cost of Oceania or a luxury line and a mass marketed line, absolutely do all the adding you want and a luxury line will still be more expensive by a lot, plus for those who choose not to spend a lot or can not afford a lot, mid priced lines have choices. You start with a certain price and you decide from there where you want to spend the rest of your money. Example: we are sailing in 6 weeks on NCL: balcony cabin: total cost including gratuities, liquor, special dining, and OBC is costing $3100 for two. Are you going to tell me we can cruise Oceania for that price?

End of story!!!!

It sounds as though you have found a solution you are content with, which is fine. But just to note, if you request water with no ice you will have no problem getting it that way. I also have sensitive teeth and prefer beverages room temp so I get that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with you regarding the OP's decision. And also about the water temperature. It is one of the most common complaints about the water onboard is that the "cold" water never runs cold. That is because it is not buried underground where the average temperature 6' deep is around 55*F, but is instead circulated through spaces in the ship that range from 72-130*F.

No, I didn’t know that. Geez, if I wanted to sneak that on, I’d be more creative. Wow.

Ok, well then if they need to limit inspection of water bottles to save time, they should make those allowances. I still don’t care if someone with diabetes is allowed to bring water on.

That is annoying that they are charging that much for bottled water though for those that prefer it. If they don’t want to supply the man power to inspect passenger water bottles to make sure they are sealed, they should charge at a slightly more reasonable rate for water.

Then again, I just saw recently where they had a bath menu for $99 for the butler to draw a bath with some pleasant smelling bubbles and a beverage. What is that crap? Seriously?! Next thing you know, I cannot bring bath bubbles either so they can charge me $99 for my bath. :confused:

Ya mean that I can't bring my own box of Mr, Bubbles?