what will you do for one day at Orlando?

Mind if I ask when you plan to travel?

If it's during peak season, I would really reconsider your plans to go to Disney. As another poster mentioned, waits for certain attractions can be 2-3 hours. There are also times during the week of Christmas that the parks reach capacity by noon and they won't even allow anyone else in.

This is a handy guide that I find to be fairly accurate: https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/crowd-calendar/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’ll be there June 24th of this year. I do appreciate any and all advice from everyone here. While I do agree that our time in the park will be very limited, for us, this visit will just be a “quick fix”. We’ve been to Disney many times an we’re familiar with the potential for long lines. We use Fast Pass to its maximum potential and choose not to wait in any of the Standyby lines.

You are 100% correct though, for anyone looking to experience one of the parks and all they have to offer, especially for a first-time visitor, it would be a huge disappointment if done during a cruise stop in Port Canaveral.

We have realistic expectations for this short visit so our intention is not to blaze a trail through all of Magic Kingdom hitting every attraction. We have our list of favorites and we’ll stick to those. As I mentioned above, I do sincerely appreciate all comments and advice no matter if they are in favor or opposition. Thank you very much for the fair warning as I’m sure it will help others that might read this thread in the future.

We’ll be there June 24th of this year. I do appreciate any and all advice from everyone here. While I do agree that our time in the park will be very limited' date=' for us, this visit will just be a “quick fix”. We’ve been to Disney many times an we’re familiar with the potential for long lines. We use Fast Pass to its maximum potential and choose not to wait in any of the Standyby lines.

You are 100% correct though, for anyone looking to experience one of the parks and all they have to offer, especially for a first-time visitor, it would be a huge disappointment if done during a cruise stop in Port Canaveral.

We have realistic expectations for this short visit so our intention is not to blaze a trail through all of Magic Kingdom hitting every attraction. We have our list of favorites and we’ll stick to those. As I mentioned above, I do sincerely appreciate all comments and advice no matter if they are in favor or opposition. Thank you very much for the fair warning as I’m sure it will help others that might read this thread in the future.

You're welcome. It sounds like you have realistic expectations so that certainly helps! Agreed that if someone has never been to Disney it would be a disappointing trip as so many of the attractions would be missed as time simply wouldn't allow it. But if you have specific attractions in mind and are OK with the brevity of the trip, it sounds like you're prepared. Have fun!

We’ll be there June 24th of this year. I do appreciate any and all advice from everyone here. While I do agree that our time in the park will be very limited' date=' for us, this visit will just be a “quick fix”. We’ve been to Disney many times an we’re familiar with the potential for long lines. We use Fast Pass to its maximum potential and choose not to wait in any of the Standyby lines.

I'm glad you've been there before and have set realistic expectations. That pretty much describes our situation a little over a month ago. We had a full day in Port Canaveral (7am arrival) on Anthem, and hadn't been to the Magic Kingdom in many years, so we decided to take RCI's bus there. (We'd recently been to the Kennedy Space Center, or we would have gone there, it's awesome.)

Definitely have to use FastPasses wisely (we still had time to wait on several "standby lines," but this was early February). We had about 5 hours in the park itself before we had to head back to the buses. Quite frankly, we were pretty pooped by then anyway.

I just want to add one thing -- we were there on a non-holiday Monday in February, a "value day" according to Disney -- one of the lowest periods of visitation. Yet it was still extremely crowded, and by lunchtime, I thought the crowds were overwhelming. I can't imagine being there when schools are out, or when the temperature is higher. So good luck!!!

Thanks.

A few years ago we could lie in the sun for 8 hours but since Pauline had a basal cell skin cancer removed we don't sunbathe now.

Yes, warning to all those “sun bathers:” wear sunscreen, a hat and a rashguard. I may come home tanless, but that’s healthier, right?

Years ago I would say Universal was an option. That was before Harry Potter attractions were added. Attendance has doubled since then. Not the comfortable experience it used to be. It would be unthinkable to try to rush through it now. I love Gatorland myself. Reasonably priced and not jammed packed.

Years ago I would say Universal was an option. That was before Harry Potter attractions were added. Attendance has doubled since then. Not the comfortable experience it used to be. It would be unthinkable to try to rush through it now. I love Gatorland myself. Reasonably priced and not jammed packed.

I haven't been to Gatorland since I was a kid. Fun memories! That attraction along with the drive is much more feasible for a port stop at Cape Canaveral, in my opinion.

It depends on the sailing. The OP is on Adventure in June and it is docking at Terminal 10 according to the schedule I just checked. That is not walkable to Jetty Park with little kids and older folks.

Indeed that is why I mentioned taking a taxi. Road is also very busy with commercial port traffic from T#1 and Jetty Park.

I was told that Royal docks adjacent to Jetty Park and that there is no charge for walking in. Can you tell me if it's true or would a short trip to Coco Village be worthwhile..

Not adjacent and too far to walk in heavy port traffic. Best to take a taxi.

We're also don't that itinerary on Adventure this summer. We've planned a trip to Kennedy. Our kids are grown, and I think I'm the one that's most excited about visiting the Space Center. Lol

KSC is simply amazing, you will have a great time!!

enhance

(Saturn V, by turtles06)

We were on Anthem in January and took the ship's transportation for $38RT to Sea World. The only downside was we got their a good 45 minutes before park opening on a very slow day. We were in port until 9pm that night but the return bus time was 3pm departure. I don't know why they don't book the buses to match the ship's time in port. There were no lines for anything so by 3pm we had really done the whole park so it was okay. It's definitely an easier day than Disney or Universal for first timers.

I was very surprised at the price of Kennedy Space Center. I'd love to go some day but we had free passes to Sea World so that was the budget friendly choice this trip.

We were on Anthem in January and took the ship's transportation for $38RT to Sea World. The only downside was we got their a good 45 minutes before park opening on a very slow day. We were in port until 9pm that night but the return bus time was 3pm departure. I don't know why they don't book the buses to match the ship's time in port. There were no lines for anything so by 3pm we had really done the whole park so it was okay. It's definitely an easier day than Disney or Universal for first timers.

I wondered the same thing in February; we were also in port late, but had to be back at the bus (from Disney) by 4pm. We were told it was to avoid rush hour traffic. (Just the messenger here.)

I was very surprised at the price of Kennedy Space Center.

Why? Daily admission for adults is $50, for folks 55 and older it's $46. That includes, among other things besides all the exhibits, the Space Shuttle Atlantis, the bus tour of the whole facility (including the incredible Apollo/Saturn V Center, where you can and should get off to see the Saturn V and related exhibits, and experience the recreated launch of Apollo 8 from the actual firing room; goose bumps!), IMAX movies, and the shuttle launch experience (a virtual reality shuttle launch that was great fun).

I wondered the same thing in February; we were also in port late, but had to be back at the bus (from Disney) by 4pm. We were told it was to avoid rush hour traffic. (Just the messenger here.)

Why? Daily admission for adults is $50, for folks 55 and older it's $46. That includes, among other things besides all the exhibits, the Space Shuttle Atlantis, the bus tour of the whole facility (including the incredible Apollo/Saturn V Center, where you can and should get off to see the Saturn V and related exhibits, and experience the recreated launch of Apollo 8 from the actual firing room; goose bumps!), IMAX movies, and the shuttle launch experience (a virtual reality shuttle launch that was great fun).

The bus tour is not included in that price, it is another $25. per person.

Sherri:)

In my ignorance, I thought it was like other visitor centers associated with federal properties. I guess it depends on the site, but some places are free exhibit halls and extra for things like IMAX or virtual experiences.

Count me as one of the crazies that’s choosing to visit Disney during our stop in Port Canaveral.

We’ll also be on Adventure. The ship is scheduled to be in port from 12:00noon to 9:00pm. We hope to arrive at the park by 1:30 and leave at 6:30 which would put us back in Port Canaveral around 8pm.

I do have a question for the experts here. I notice the route between the port and Orlando include toll roads. Are there cash lanes on these toll roads?

I’m far from an expert as I’m British lol' date=' but we’ve just come back from a (land) holiday in Orlando and drove from Kissimmee to Port Canaveral (well, Kennedy Space Centre). There were lots of toll roads - I think we had to stop and pay tolls about four or five times in the one journey. Most of them were really really small, like 50c, or $1, or $1.25. The whole set up was very weird! Can’t possibly have been worth it. All the tolls had lanes for people will automatic things, and also lanes where you could pay in cash and get change. But a word of warning, elsewhere in Florida we drove on roads where not only did you have to pay cash, but it had to be COINS! Nightmare for us, because we didn’t have any.

The bus tour is not included in that price, it is another $25. per person.

No, the bus tour is *definitely* included in that price - we were there 1 week ago.

This is the basic bus tour that anybody can go on - it’s about 45 minutes and they drive you round the various launch pads and give you some commentary and then there’s a building with a film and cool exhibits.

I think there are, fancier things you can do that cost extra, but the basic bus tour is definitely included

I though KSC was awesome and I wish we’d had longer there - we were there from about 11:30-4:30 and there was loads of things we didn’t get to do in the time we had.

Anyone with a ticket can book fast passes for free, 60 days out for resort guests, 30 days for everyone else. You just need your ticket ahead of time. I definitely wouldn’t do it on a cruise stop.

I have been to Orlando many times. Love Orlando, Winter Park, and the rest of Florida are a nice visit, either drive or fly to Orlando. Off season you can get very cheap airfare and hotel rooms.

Only crazy tourists go to the theme parks when children are on vacation. Off season you can get sometimes get through most lines in 15 minutes. In season more than an hour per ride is not unheard of.

You didn't say when you are going. That part of Florida can get very cold.

Personally I have always liked space and would choose Kennedy. However, it depends on what you are interested in.

For giggles you might check the launch schedule to see if one is scheduled for the date you will be in port. PLEASE NOTE LAUNCH SCHEDULES CAN AND DO CHANGE.

Only crazy tourists go to the theme parks when children are on vacation.

This.

I'm a native Floridian and you'd have to pay me to go into Disney while the kids are out of school. Especially when it's over 90 degrees out in the summer. The only thing I'm doing outdoors is the beach or pool.

No, the bus tour is *definitely* included in that price - we were there 1 week ago.

This is the basic bus tour that anybody can go on - it’s about 45 minutes and they drive you round the various launch pads and give you some commentary and then there’s a building with a film and cool exhibits.

I think there are, fancier things you can do that cost extra, but the basic bus tour is definitely included

I though KSC was awesome and I wish we’d had longer there - we were there from about 11:30-4:30 and there was loads of things we didn’t get to do in the time we had.

Sorry, when we were there in January, there was a $25 charge per person but it sounds from your description they’ve changed the tour as ours was about 2 hours.:)

I checked the NASA web site and they are offering more “enhancements” but the tour we did is not listed.