what will you do for one day at Orlando?

It really depends on the time of your stay. I did Universal in December from the ship. The park was seriously slow. I was able tour the entire park, do all the rides and still had time to sit down for lunch before heading back. I also understand that this was a serious anomaly as i came in on a Wednesday in the middle of December. We only did one park.

I tried it again on a Wednesday in September. The park was packed. However, due to our planning and some wrangling, we were still able to complete most of the two parks within the time allotted. However, you may not have the same opportunity as us. We purchased a 2 park pass and had the fast pass for all the rides. We scored that because I had a friend who worked there that got us discounted tickets and passes. We also rented a van to drive the 5 of us there and back. If it wasn't for our friend, you're looking at ticket prices that approach 270/person (including the fast pass).

So, yes, you can do it, but if you want to do it right and within the time allotted, you need to spend extra money. Also, I do not know if Disney actually sells their fast pass, or if its a perk for staying on resort. Plus, Disney parks are larger and take more time.

Bottom line, unless you're willing to spend a premium for that day, I'd skip the theme parks. You said you had young children and they are not as mobile. You have to be pretty quick on your feet as well to enjoy it with the time you have available.

Anyone with a ticket can book fast passes for free, 60 days out for resort guests, 30 days for everyone else. You just need your ticket ahead of time. I definitely wouldn’t do it on a cruise stop.

I nice beach day is at Jetty Park. 3 min taxi drive to the beach. They have bathrooms, showers and food court and lots of shade. The price to drive in is like $20 per car. Happy Sailing!!!

I was told that Royal docks adjacent to Jetty Park and that there is no charge for walking in. Can you tell me if it's true or would a short trip to Coco Village be worthwhile..

Adventure is in port from noon until 9pm, so not sure I would consider Kennedy Space Center as it is only open until 6pm. I also think the ages of your group would make it not worth the price of admission. Hitting the beach is an option or Brevard County Zoo is supposed to be good. Transportation then becomes an issue. There are many rental agencies in the area, which will have shuttles picking up when you arrive, but all will be closed by 5 or 6 at the latest. Some have late drop off, but you have to get a cab or uber to get back to the ship. Depending on which terminal you are at, some are within walking distance, so the driver could drop everyone off at the terminal and then go return car and walk back on their own.

Anyone with a ticket can book fast passes for free, 60 days out for resort guests, 30 days for everyone else. You just need your ticket ahead of time. I definitely wouldn’t do it on a cruise stop.

It is most definitely not free at Universal. I used to work there. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was told that Royal docks adjacent to Jetty Park and that there is no charge for walking in. Can you tell me if it's true or would a short trip to Coco Village be worthwhile..

It depends on the sailing. The OP is on Adventure in June and it is docking at Terminal 10 according to the schedule I just checked. That is not walkable to Jetty Park with little kids and older folks.

I wouldn't exactly call it "adjacent". It's about a mile away from RCI's closest dock.

We have the same dilemma in August. My kids will be 2 and 4. We are going to try for Seaworld.. We already have season passes to Sesame Place, so wouldn' have to pay to get in.. but we do have to figure out transportation. I live near the Jersey shore, so I'm ok with not doing 3 beach days at port (we stop at Nassau and Coco Cay also). I've never been to Orlando, so I was bummed when I figured out we don'thave enough time for Disney.. did not realize it was so far away when I booked the cruise.

RCI uses Terminal 1, Terminal 3, Terminal 6 and Terminal 10. At least two of those are fairly close to Jetty Park.

Terminal 3 is out of service for the rest of the year. Terminal 1 is the closest to Jetty Park, and is about a mile away.

If you worked at Universal, you'd know that Fast Pass is a Disney term.

Most Central Floridians use the term "fast pass" colloquially as Disney was the first player in the game to introduce them and the name stuck. But you are correct, Universal officially markets the product as Express Pass.

But what do I know, I've only lived here for 40+ years and according to you, I don't know where I used to work. [emoji23]

I live in Orlando and if it were me, I would not try to take a day trip from the port while on a cruise. As a local I can tell you that there are too many variables that come into play with a combo of the theme parks plus traffic getting in and out that could turn your day into a disaster (aka missing the ship). We've got this little road named I-4, which has been designated as the deadliest highway in the country. It's currently undergoing a major, multi-year expansion project and everything's an absolute mess right now (even more so than usual). Granted, when traveling from the port to the theme parks your time spent on I-4 is minimal, or nonexistent depending on where you're going, but 528 (east/west highway connecting the cape to Orlando) and other routes can be impacted by what's currently happening on I-4.

A cruise is for relaxation and dealing with the drive to Orlando and crowds at the theme parks is anything but.

Agree with you 100% as we lived 5 minutes from Universal for years. With the cost of Disney or Universal and the traffic situation not worth the trouble and stress. I have seen traffic on the Beach Line between Orlando Airport and Cape Canaveral tied up for hours due to accidents. Forget I-4 unless you enjoy taking your life in your hands. We knew a lot of alternate routes around town and avoided I-4 unless we were going somewhere during non peak hours.

Love Kennedy Space center but it too is quite costly. I agree with other locals and suggest you heed their advice and enjoy Cocoa Beach.

Walking into Jetty Park for free. If you take a taxi or drive there is a $25 fee to get in. Royal Caribbean Terminal 1 is about 1.5 miles to Jetty Park. CT2 Terminal is about 1 mile to Jetty Park( visiting ships dock sometimes). I live in Orlando and has been a few years that I haven't been to Coco Village. But it was a nice area. But I'm at Jetty Park 7 or 8 times a year for the beach, watching the ships or fishing.

So just to jump into this with a question, we were planning on doing universal during our stop in late January on Anthem. The ship will be there 7-7 which I assumed should leave plenty of time in the park, yay or nay?

Most Central Floridians use the term "fast pass" colloquially as Disney was the first player in the game to introduce them and the name stuck. But you are correct, Universal officially markets the product as Express Pass.

But what do I know, I've only lived here for 40+ years and according to you, I don't know where I used to work. [emoji23]

You are the one who had to point out where you worked as though that made you an expert. The person you replied to was clearly referring to Disney, not Universal, in their reply. And the person they replied to pointed out specifically that you had to pay for them at Universal and didn't know how it worked at Disney. Maybe you have lived in Orlando forever and are Mark Woodbury's personal secretary. That doesn't change the fact that you were patting yourself on the back while you posted info that was irrelevant to the post you quoted. Next time, try reading whats going on before posting to see if you have anything useful to add to the thread.

So just to jump into this with a question, we were planning on doing universal during our stop in late January on Anthem. The ship will be there 7-7 which I assumed should leave plenty of time in the park, yay or nay?

That would give you from about 9 to 5 at the park.

Count me as one of the crazies that’s choosing to visit Disney during our stop in Port Canaveral.

We’ll also be on Adventure. The ship is scheduled to be in port from 12:00noon to 9:00pm. We hope to arrive at the park by 1:30 and leave at 6:30 which would put us back in Port Canaveral around 8pm.

I do have a question for the experts here. I notice the route between the port and Orlando include toll roads. Are there cash lanes on these toll roads?

Do Kennedy Space Centre, there's something there for all ages including yourselves. It's what we are doing when we go on Adventure this June plus you will be getting back ahead of those that do go as far as Orlando which means less traffic back on the ship at evening meal times.

... I do have a question for the experts here. I notice the route between the port and Orlando include toll roads. Are there cash lanes on these toll roads? ...

Yes, there are cash lanes on the route between Port Canaveral and Orlando.

Count me as one of the crazies that’s choosing to visit Disney during our stop in Port Canaveral.

We’ll also be on Adventure. The ship is scheduled to be in port from 12:00noon to 9:00pm. We hope to arrive at the park by 1:30 and leave at 6:30 which would put us back in Port Canaveral around 8pm.

I do have a question for the experts here. I notice the route between the port and Orlando include toll roads. Are there cash lanes on these toll roads?

Yes' date=' there are cash Lanes. They do often back up though. Some rental cars come with a toll transponder you can use.

Depending on when you are going, keep in mind that the lines for attractions at Disney can be very long (up to 2-3 hours for some without Fastpasses). Also, if you go to Magic Kingdom, you need to allow an extra 15 -30+ minutes each way to get to/from the park from the parking lot (tram to ticket center and then bus or monorail to the park entrance).

Thank you Clarea and flhokie!

I will look into the availability of toll transponder with our car rental company. Much appreciated!

Mind if I ask when you plan to travel?

If it's during peak season' date=' I would really reconsider your plans to go to Disney. As another poster mentioned, waits for certain attractions can be 2-3 hours. There are also times during the week of Christmas that the parks reach capacity by noon and they won't even allow anyone else in.

This is a handy guide that I find to be fairly accurate: https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/crowd-calendar/