COMPLETELY PO'd at RCCL!

Don't BOTH adults have to be in the SAME cabin to have the drink package? Once you moved 1 adult to a cabin with 1 child and 1 adult with 1 child to 2nd cabin ... didn't that nullified the drink package rules?

No, you actually have it twisted.

IF there are two adults in a cabin, they BOTH must purchase the deluxe package or neither of them can.

If there is only one adult in the cabin, s/he can do whatever s/he wants, buy or not buy.

Boy, you sure are "all about" extorting the OBC out of Royal Caribbean, aren't you?

I caught RCCL in a lie when booking my cruise (first timer with Royal), and they gave me $125 OBC to compensate and offset what I was quoted (had ZERO clue about Cruise Planner), and with the sale I caught and the OBC, it cost me $613 for 2ppl. Bottom line is, I need to consume an average of 3.68 drinks per day to make it worthwhile! I'll be in the black by 11am!!!!!

That's not nice! Especially coming from someone else from Clark, NJ! :)

Listen, if I can get something from them, why the hell not?

After reading all of this, and realizing that I'm overreacting, I take back the fact that I'm PO'd at RCCL...Just disappointed that I had to go through all of this, and maybe a bit ignorant in the booking process, since this is my first experience with Royal Caribbean...I've only been on one cruise in my life, love looking at this board for tons of great info.

Perhaps the best advice is to let that TA friend of yours earn her commission and handle the booking for you.

All I know is that I often cancel and rebook items when there is a change in price to my benefit. I’m usually pretty surprised by how quickly the refund shows up on my credit card - once or twice I could see it immediately. Of course, even the purchase may show as pending for a day or so.

So, when did all this take place? How long has the OP been waiting for the refund? Or, did this all happen today?

That's not nice! Especially coming from someone else from Clark, NJ! :)

Listen, if I can get something from them, why the hell not?

After reading all of this, and realizing that I'm overreacting, I take back the fact that I'm PO'd at RCCL...Just disappointed that I had to go through all of this, and maybe a bit ignorant in the booking process, since this is my first experience with Royal Caribbean...I've only been on one cruise in my life, love looking at this board for tons of great info.

So you put yourself through even more by posting this. What is the time value of money these days? Would it have paid for your time wasted and 45 minute phone call? Penny wise and pound foolish.

This is why I travel with Disney so much. They go above and beyond almost always and break the “rules” that they have in place for great customer service.

Oh brother. I need to roll my eyes at this one. First of all, I will agree that Disney is a great company, and their customer service is one of the best of all the cruise lines that I’ve sailed on. However, to say that they break rules to make customers happy is not something that I experienced. In fact, what I experienced is that they have their rules and they are extremely strict about them, more so than most cruise lines. They are just much nicer at saying no, they explain why, and they manage to do so with a smile.

I do believe that a lot of die hard Disney fans are many times blinded by the pixie dust. In their eyes, Disney can’t do anything wrong. I could write a list of negative things about our last cruise which happened to be on the Disney Fantasy but doing so wouldn’t do justice to the much longer list of things that went right. It was a fantastic cruise, but I don’t have this irrational belief that they are as impecable as a lot of Disney fans have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess my main point is why can’t Royal just make this switch? Why make the guest have to cancel the package, and then reorder the package, especially if it is the same exact price? “Because he made a change to the reservation! It’s in the contract that he signed!”

Please. This would of been easy as the Royal worker clicking here, click here, hit enter here, and boom done.

Why make the guest jump through so many hoops?

This is soooo true. First experience with RCI and booking two rooms is harder than it should be. We upgraded cabins that met their requirements for our teens to be in their own room versus splitting the adults. Same thing happened. All the purchases were canceled or didn't transfer with the person. And when I went to repurchase, prices were much higher. Couldn't move the dinner packages around because reservation times would be lost. So now my husband has a BOGO and a 5 night dining package. And he has a refreshment package and a repurchased more expensive drink package. Nothing they could do at customer service so I'm to "sort it all out" on the ship. I know how I'm spending my embarkation day...

It is an antiquated system. Just sailed my first carnival cruise a week ago. Couldn't believe how easy it was to manage multiple rooms from one reservation and all purchases were tied to a person not a cabin. It doesn't have to be this hard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't BOTH adults have to be in the SAME cabin to have the drink package? Once you moved 1 adult to a cabin with 1 child and 1 adult with 1 child to 2nd cabin ... didn't that nullified the drink package rules?

We purchased the drink package when the adults were split between our two cabins. Purchased the teens the refreshment package. I'm sure it happens all the time. They made us split the adults because there was a cabin between our two rooms. We booked spring break late and every other cabin holds more than two guest and they were all booked! Couldn't secure two VBs together. Ended up moving to balcony cabins and that's when the real fun began...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's very common when changing something on a reservation. You're essentially canceling one and rebooking. You should be upset with your TA not telling you. FYI the drink package for my cruise in September is now down to $42 per person, so you might even get a better deal now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

There's no corkage fee to allow for extra bottles to be brought on board? I thought most lines have that.

Nope, Royal's limit is two bottles per stateroom, no way to raise the limit. If you bring any of those bottles to a public venue, they are subject to a $15 per bottle fee.

Oh brother. I need to roll my eyes at this one. First of all, I will agree that Disney is a great company, and their customer service is one of the best of all the cruise lines that I’ve sailed on. However, to say that they break rules to make customers happy is not something that I experienced. In fact, what I experienced is that they have their rules and they are extremely strict about them, more so than most cruise lines. They are just much nicer at saying no, they explain why, and they manage to do so with a smile.

I do believe that a lot of die hard Disney fans are many times blinded by the pixie dust. In their eyes, Disney can’t do anything wrong. I could write a list of negative things about our last cruise which happened to be on the Disney Fantasy but doing so wouldn’t do justice to the much longer list of things that went right. It was a fantastic cruise, but I don’t have this irrational belief that they are as impecable as a lot of Disney fans have.

Well as a former Cast Member I can tell you I was empowered by my managers, and the company, to make things right, and to go above and beyond.

Well as a former Cast Member I can tell you I was empowered by my managers, and the company, to make things right, and to go above and beyond.

As I mentioned above, Disney does have some of the best customer service that I’ve ever experienced on any cruise line, and I do believe you when you say that the company empowered you to make things right and to go above and beyond. But what we have here is a bit different.

In the OP’s case, Royal didn’t need to “make things right”. The TA failed to mention to the OP the consequences of pulling the stunt that he wanted to pull which in return made him “angry”. Incompetence in the part of the TA? Most likely. Royal fail requiring to “make things right” No.

Had this cruise been on Disney and the OP had booked directly with Disney and tried to do a similar thing, most likely the very polite and well trained Disney agent would’ve told him in advance what would happen if he started to change people around on a reservation with paid drink packages or excursion. So the OP would’ve had the opportunity to make a more informed decision before pulling the trigger for the sake of bringing two extra bottles of wine onboard. That’s about the only difference.

Edited by Tapi

Had this cruise been on Disney and the OP had tried to do a similar thing, most likely the very polite and well trained Disney agent would’ve told him in advance what would happen if he started to change people around on a reservation with paid drink packages or excursion. So the OP would’ve had the opportunity to make a more informed decision before pulling the trigger for the sake of bringing two extra bottles of wine onboard. That’s about the only difference.

You're correct, my TA should have mentioned that to me and advised. I'm not trying to cheat the system to bring more wine aboard, its my right, according to the rules that I can bring 2 bottles per state room. I just wanted to maximize my allowance without any issues by going by the rules and having a 21+ person in each state room to justify without getting in trouble.

You had mentioned above about excursions.....my two children were booked on an excursion prior, and their reservation stayed the same, attached to the NAME, not the cabin, strange?

I kind of see things differently. To the OP: I would be a little upset, too, but not because of the refund issue. You bought and paid for two drink packages, then you changed your reservation. Why did RCI have to charge you again? In other words, why can't RCI simply move your drink package over to your new reservation? It makes no sense to me.

Why not just pack 2 bottles in checked luggage and bring 2 in carry on?

I don’t encourage this as the rules are 2 per cabin

So surprised to see this written by you, following the abuse you have given others, including Graham(grapau27). Advising people to break rules what a hypocrite.

Usually you make comments like those quoted below, why the change of heart?

When RC reverts to previous policy of NO alcohol being allowed to be brought on-board because people are abusing the privilege, all the fury can be vented at people like you, who not only break the rules, but brag about it and encourage others to do likewise.

When RC reverts to previous policy of NO alcohol being allowed to be brought on-board because people are abusing the privilege, all the fury can be vented at people like you, who not only break the rules, but brag about it and encourage others to do likewise.

Not sure what I said to induce your ire, but I hope you have a wonderful day today!

So surprised to see this written by you, following the abuse you have given others, including Graham(grapau27). Advising people to break rules what a hypocrite.

Usually you make comments like those quoted below, why the change of heart?

Didn’t you read my entire post?

Two bottles in two bags through different security lines is trying to circumvent the rules. Same as two bottles in carry on and two in checked luggage.

I was going to call it what it was, smuggling but toned it down to “I don’t encourage “.

I just can’t believe people go so far to circumvent the rules set by Royal. You know the cost of wine onboard before one books. Don’t like it, don’t book.

Also, it’s nice Royal allows two bottles per stateroom and I would hate to see this go away like the single drink packages.

Intent is the key, the OP said it was their intent to circumvent the rules.

At least you UK folks stick up for each other.

You hit the nail on the head, it was the TA that should have informed the OP of the ramifications of moving people around.

Agreed! I booked two of us in separate rooms with 2 friends (new cruisers) so we could take advantage of the Diamond discount (which surprisingly worked out to be a great benefit this time) and then I was worried about switching and causing too much trouble for them as first time cruisers, so I called and inquired about the change and my TA mentioned this.

Needless to say, kept all as is and will just get an extra room key for each of us instead of causing the computer to get mad :evilsmile::evilsmile:

You had mentioned above about excursions.....my two children were booked on an excursion prior, and their reservation stayed the same, attached to the NAME, not the cabin, strange?

That is a bit strange that one thing would transfer but not the other. But in all fairness, I can’t claim any expertise on Royal’s reservation system at an IT level.

But I did learn my lesson about canceled items after making changes to a reservation the hard way. This happened on Carnival. I had a booking to which I added excursions and dinner reservations. Then I decided to upgrade our cabin to a balcony. A few days later, I noticed a credit on my credit card from the cruise line, and that’s what queued me about my excursions being canceled. Nobody ever mentioned to me that this would happen if we changed cabins, and if I hadn’t been paying attention to my credit card statement, at least a month would’ve gone by before I noticed the credit. Thankfully the excursions were still available and I was able to rebook them and charge them to my credit card again.

So I get your indignation. I know that I was angry when it happened to me. But one good thing that came out of that experience is that I’ve learned to check my bookings periodically, specially after making any changes, in order to detect any surprises before it’s too late to rectify them.

WOW.

Wants OBC for the processing time for the refund. REALLY???

Heck, we switched from two cabins to a Royal Family Suite, where the new pricing was almost $4000 less. And got NOTHING BACK. No OBC, nothing. Just the move to the better cabin.

What is the 2 bottles of wine per Adult?? I thought you can only bring on 1 bottle per Adult?

Example I am going on a cruise this summer on RC and with my husband and will will bring on 2 bottles of wine.

The rule is 2 bottles per cabin, no matter how many adults are in it.