Book Direct or with TA?

Rode Warrior

I have not taken a cruise before, and want to go on one in Alaska. From my research and preferences, it sounds like I should book as early as possible and look for rate drops to get a better rate or upgrade. Will there be an advantage to using a travel agent or booking direct with Celebrity?

Advantages of booking with Celebrity? People will tell you that you will "control your reservation" whatever that means.

Advantages of booking with a TA? Possibility of Onboard Credit or Group prices. We've not booked without either of those 2 benefits in the last 10 years. How much have we saved over booking directly with the cruise line? At least $5 figures (admittedly a good number of sailings).

Would never think of booking direct. And if I want to get in touch with my TA, she is available usually on the spot or within a few minutes.

Never booked with any cruise line, always through online agencies. I too, have saved in the five digits, money/perks above the lines. My next cruise, on RCL cost $3100 for the two of us, all in. Getting $300 refundable (I can take the cash at the end) and dinner for two in any specialty restaurant. If there is a price change (very seldom lately, as I only book at a price I think is fair) or change cabins, I shoot my agency an e-mail and it's done.

We don't need anyone for advice, in 44 cruises, we've only talked to the agency, maybe five times at the most.

For a first time cruiser, you'd be doing yourself a BIG disservice to not get the advice of a good travel agent. This is one of the very few times one absolutely should use a travel agent (and no, the online big box TA's don't count. Use them when you become a cruiseaholic.)

Here's one thing you probably would have learned already if you had gone to a TA: Celebrity is a terrific cruise line, but NOT for Alaska. Princess and Holland America are the two that you should look at for AK because, with a few exceptions, they are the ONLY large cruise ships that sail Glacier Bay. Those licenses are hard to get, and HAL and Princess are the veterans in Alaska.

I'm sure that many X fans will agree that Alaska may be the one time that Princess or HAL would be a better choice.

I disagree that it’s essential that you have a travel agent to book your initial cruise. I booked our first cruise (Mediterranean) directly with Celebrity after researching CC boards and forums, and listening to the cruise line assessments offered by experienced cruisers (friends). I did seek a local travel agent, but found only one who kept pushing me toward a cruise line outside my budget, and another one who knew less than I did. I have, since then, always booked directly with Celebrity, but sometimes moved my booking to an online TA for the perks. If you can find a great local agent, you’re fortunate. If you can’t, these boards contain invaluable information for those willing to research them.

I suggest that you check out the first time Cruiser forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

and the Alaska forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I also suggest you read reviews by people who have taken Celebrity Cruises to Alaska.

Edited by Silkroad

I prefer booking with a large online TA. The benefits are better prices, and/or more perks, OBC and correct answers to any questions. I also find them to have more clout with the cruise line than an individual cruiser would have, and in the event of a problem, there's someone in my corner as a back up.

We have used the same local TA for 25 years. She gives exceptional service, even notifying us of price reductions before final payment.

One cruise we forgot our passports. We called from FLL for DH to fly home to get them. Luckily, we arrived a day early. Donna went to our house with a locksmith, retrieved our documents, took them to the local FedEx and sent them to our hotel where they arrived the next day.

You wouldn't find an online travel agency or the cruise line to provide that level of service. We feel blessed to know her.

Sue

I always book with a TA. It's not just about before your cruise... but also during and after that you may need one. United went on strike while we were out to sea. We didn't know! By the time we got to the next port and I contacted the agency, they had us rebooked. When the price on our cabin dropped after final payment and no upgrades were available they went to bat for us and X agreed to "split the difference" and gave us OBC. After final payment. When the hurricane hit San Juan last year and our hotel was not open, they took care of airline changes between two reservations and saved us a ton of aggravation. If you tell your TA that you want any offered upgrades should X offer one... you won't miss out because you didn't respond fast enough. If you need to file an insurance claim, they are very helpful/knowledgeable and a great resource.

I haven't ever had a time when I wished I had booked direct. But I HAVE had many times when I was grateful I had a TA!!

Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Is it advantageous? It absolutely could be.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Here's my two cents:

!. Book with a TA - get recommendations from others.

2. Look into Princess for Alaska. We are Celebrity fans, but when we plan our next AK cruise - it will be with Princess

I agree with the advice for using a TA. However, do the work yourself. Research the cruise you want, the cabins, and the time of year and the sales/deals the cruise line is offering. Then go to the TA. You want to get the booking incentives from the cruise line as well as extra perks from the TA (over and above the cruise line).

Note that most cruise lines allow one to book a cruise directly and then transfer to a TA. I’ve done that a couple of times.

We took about 4 cruises before I got into a conversation with a lady on the ship one day. She mentioned her travel agent, which happened to be a big on-line cruise agent. I asked basically your same question. She told me what they did and it's precisely what we do now. We either book ourselves or call the TA, but we always know the exact cruise we want and the cabin we want, so we really don't need the TA for anything, other than additional money.

We get the same 'deals' or 'perks' that the cruise line is offering at that point. Then, depending on length of sail and cabin category (for us usually 10-14 days and sky suite) we get more perks if we don't have them included already in the cruise line's offer PLUS we get on board credit. We usually get $300 from the cruise line and then depending on the promotion we get more.

Booking on Black Friday it's even better. We have an upcoming cruise on Azamara for 15 nights in Norway and we booked it while on Celebrity Equinox in Nov. 2016. We got double the on board credit from Celebrity/Azamara ($600) and then we emailed the TA. We had to email and transfer to them on Black Friday which was all done on an email. TA gave us $600 as well and then 10% of the cruise cost, and a couple other promotions only good if you booked on a ship on Black Friday. It was kind of a perfect storm of perks piled upon perks because of the day. Total we have this July?? $2700!!! $1500 is refundable to our credit card if we don't use it. We're using a good bit of it for unique excursions that can only be had through the ship because of the small towns we're going to in the fjords. So win/win.

So bottom line, you don't NEED a TA. But if you want perks, there's no downside as far as I can see. An average 10 day cruise we get only about $300 additional, plus $50 that we get just for using the same TA (loyalty credit) but that's $350 we wouldn't have otherwise if we just used the cruise line.

There are pros and cons for both using a TA and for booking direct. We have done both. For a first time cruiser, I think a TA is a good move. After 3 or 4 cruises, however, you’ll probably find you know as much about cruising as a TA. The advantage then is controlling your cruise. If you have a TA, the cruise line will not talk to you. I have recently discovered that RCCL, for example, will offer cheaper fares if booking direct. Explore. Sometimes this might negate any extra OBC you might receive from your agent ( not always). Often the OBC offered by your TA is actually from the cruise line and available when booking direct. Do some research and choose based on the results you find. For me, i’ve Cruised enough to look exclusively at the price. Use cruisecritic. It has been invaluable as a resource.

There are pros and cons for both using a TA and for booking direct. We have done both. For a first time cruiser, I think a TA is a good move. After 3 or 4 cruises, however, you’ll probably find you know as much about cruising as a TA. The advantage then is controlling your cruise. If you have a TA, the cruise line will not talk to you. I have recently discovered that RCCL, for example, will offer cheaper fares if booking direct. Explore. Sometimes this might negate any extra OBC you might receive from your agent ( not always). Often the OBC offered by your TA is actually from the cruise line and available when booking direct. Do some research and choose based on the results you find. For me, i’ve Cruised enough to look exclusively at the price. Use cruisecritic. It has been invaluable as a resource.

With more than twenty cruises on different lines, I certainly know how to book a cruise without a TA. However, before ‘giving up control’ of my booking ( to a trusted TA who I have used for several years) I compare how much I save by doing so. In addition to keeping all of the cruise line perks, I have saved an additional 8-10%. I do agree, however, that if that changes I would prefer to handle the booking myself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums