Radiance cruise cancelled last minute

Repairs will take place in Newcastle from 6 April to 17 April.

Things break and it's not often at a convenient time. Sounds like this happened during a cruise and they are able to complete the cruise. They claim they can use the 11 days to repair it so it may not need to be drydocked. If it does need to be drydocked, I believe Singapore may the closest drydock large enough.

Newcastle.

I am so sorry this is so disappointing for those cruising. We are supposed to board in Hawaii. This is my 81 year old mothers once in a life time cruise. I hope they get this straightened out.

I think the Radiance is the ship we sailed on out of Tampa that had izapod issues. We ended up leaving port 8-10 hours late.

Wow, I'd be choked with a last minute cancellation. So disappointing. I'm sorry this has happened to you.

I would be disappointed for sure... but my wounds could be salved with the FREE cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There has been no mention of the ship running aground or any extensive damage to the ship at all. I doubt that is correct.

The Captain explained that the issue was that some of the wiring in the motor that drives the starboard propeller overheated and burnt out. It seems this occurred in the manoeuvring into the Airlie Beach anchorage against a very strong current due to the wind.

The ship does not need to be drydocked but just needs to be alongside for 7 days - no space in Sydney to do this.

New wiring is enroute from Germany and so are a bunch of technicians to fit it.when that job is complete they will also inspect the port motor as well just to be sure.

The crew will remain onboard and do a deep clean and maintenance.

The ship will make Newcastle as scheduled tomorrow.

To go ahead with the next cruise would have meant the cancellation of at least 2 ports and they did mot want to undertake the trans pac with just one propeller working

There has been no mention of the ship running aground or any extensive damage to the ship at all. I doubt that is correct.

The Captain explained that the issue was that some of the wiring in the motor that drives the starboard propeller overheated and burnt out. It seems this occurred in the manoeuvring into the Airlie Beach anchorage against a very strong current due to the wind.

The ship does not need to be drydocked but just needs to be alongside for 7 days - no space in Sydney to do this.

New wiring is enroute from Germany and so are a bunch of technicians to fit it.when that job is complete they will also inspect the port motor as well just to be sure.

To go ahead with the next cruise would have meant the cancellation of at least 2 ports and they did mot want to undertake the trans pac with just one propeller working

Thanks for the factual update. Safe travels back to SYD.

Man I feel bad for those who are affected by this. Wishing you only the best.

This is so much bigger than the Carnival ship I had booked that caught fire and cancelled a few years ago. It was out of LA and we were given enough notice that we were able to book another trip with the same dates on Princess.

My wife and I were talking about this over breakfast and we both feel that when all is said and done, there are going to be a lot of people who are going to be hurt financially because of this.

Was there mention of the ship going onto Sydney?

Juan Diego, the Concierge, has posted on FB and confirmed that the Radiance will be in Newcastle for 7 to 8 days.

Juan Diego, the Concierge, has posted on FB and confirmed that the Radiance will be in Newcastle for 7 to 8 days.

I predict a mess in Newcastle in a few hours (ship about 30 miles out) as folks get bused to Sydney.

Two years of planning, gone at the last minute.

The "plan" was do the Radiance 11 night New Zealand, then 5 nights in Sydney (prepaid hotel and tours, of course) then board the Explorer transpac to Seattle.

Not sure what happens to the second cruise now. If they take the tact of "TS, that cruise isn't cancelled" I may just fly to Miami.

Your insurance will cover everything

I predict a mess in Newcastle in a few hours (ship about 30 miles out) as folks get bused to Sydney.

I'm still reading that the ship is going to Sydney to disembark passengers and then heading back to Newcastle for repairs. There should be no busses.

From Newcastle Port info -

Radiance has confirmed 06:30 pilot arrival on 5th. Departure 17:00 for Sydney.

Sydney Port giving arrival 06:30 & departure earlier at 16:00 for Newcastle.

We are safely in Newcastle and everything is fine. A tug helped with the manoeuvring on the starboard side. Just a normal day and shorex are about to depart. Only people disembarking today are those that were already booked to do so and some of the entertainers.

Your insurance will cover everything

Under what category? And what are you considering ‘everything’? I’m just curious. We always get insurance but I heard so many stories of people getting left out in the rain so to speak during Harvey.

Horrible news.

Does RCI understand passengers must pay change fees plus the change in the cost of the ticket? The tickets you have now are useless.

They re also only giving people thirty days to produce a copy of the change fees. I take it that would mean they have to book new flights within 30 days so they only have that amount of time to decide on a new cruise?

This could get real ugly if they can't fix it in the next week - the following sailing is the TP to Hawaii.

I'm on radiance ATM and the captain said the starboard motor is broken and will be replaced in Newcastle which will take 6-7 days. There are 100 Americans on here that were doing the next one and then the one to Hawaii.

It's a nightmare for them.

I'm on radiance ATM and the captain said the starboard motor is broken and will be replaced in Newcastle which will take 6-7 days. There are 100 Americans on here that were doing the next one and then the one to Hawaii.

Take them home with you. (just kidding. sort of. :D)

Having to spend 11 days in Australia should not be described as a nightmare.

it is if it is all out of pocket.

They’re getting a refund for the cruise plus an FCC. The cruise refund should cover accommodation. They may be out some money depending on what they do but she said they were Americans so they’re getting a 30% currency discount too.

They’re getting a refund for the cruise plus an FCC. The cruise refund should cover accommodation. They may be out some money depending on what they do but she said they were Americans so they’re getting a 30% currency discount too.

All well and good, but consider the refunds from Royal can take several weeks. People will still be out of pocket while here in Australia if they're waiting for their refund or travel insurance.