It wasn’t what I hoped or dreaded it was

IndyDenise

I received an email notification concerning my upcoming cruise. I’ve received many of these the past few months , some were fantastic, some were bad.

What could it be this time ? Another flight change ( yuck! ) or maybe a free upgrade from a NS to a PS ( as if ) .

Nope, this one I could of never guessed!

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

We are happy that you will be on board Oosterdam on April 27, which is

King's Day, a national holiday in the Netherlands in honor of King Willem-Alexander's birthday. With our company's deep history and roots in

the Netherlands, we are proud to celebrate this day on board Holland America Line ships around the world. King's Day is marked by various festivities throughout the Netherlands, and a common theme is an abundance of the color orange, the national color of the Netherlands and the Dutch Royal Family. So

as you prepare for your cruise, we encourage you to consider packing something orange to wear on April 27. Whether it's an orange hat, tie, socks or

necklace, your "touch of the Dutch" will fit right in during our King's Day celebrations.

————

I look terrible in orange but I do have a coral colored blouse that I will now pack . Has anyone experienced an onboard celebration before? What does HAL do ? I’m hoping for an open bar and with double Wang Wangs but like the PS upgrade I’m sure I that is a pipe dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I received an email notification concerning my upcoming cruise. I’ve received many of these the past few months , some were fantastic, some were bad.

What could it be this time ? Another flight change ( yuck! ) or maybe a free upgrade from a NS to a PS ( as if ) .

Nope, this one I could of never guessed!

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

We are happy that you will be on board Oosterdam on April 27, which is

King's Day, a national holiday in the Netherlands in honor of King Willem-Alexander's birthday. With our company's deep history and roots in

the Netherlands, we are proud to celebrate this day on board Holland America Line ships around the world. King's Day is marked by various festivities throughout the Netherlands, and a common theme is an abundance of the color orange, the national color of the Netherlands and the Dutch Royal Family. So

as you prepare for your cruise, we encourage you to consider packing something orange to wear on April 27. Whether it's an orange hat, tie, socks or

necklace, your "touch of the Dutch" will fit right in during our King's Day celebrations.

————

I look terrible in orange but I do have a coral colored blouse that I will now pack . Has anyone experienced an onboard celebration before? What does HAL do ? I’m hoping for an open bar and with double Wang Wangs but like the PS upgrade I’m sure I that is a pipe dream.

We celebrated Queens day on board, now changed to Kings day, because of the now King of the Netherlands.

MDR was decorated in orange and with Dutch flags and there was an orange drink as special of the day (Oranje Bitter) and there was a special reception for all of the Dutch guests on board.

Once we were on a ship when there was some kind of a celebration -- can't remember what it was.

But there was no open bar. They had a special drink for that day but you paid for it.

Since I have Explore 4 I may explore the special drink 15 times !

Teehee!!!

We were onboard the day the Queen abdicated and the Prince became King. HAL had quite a party in the Queen's Lounge to watch the proceedings on the big screen. We were sailing in Europe so there were lots of Dutch people onboard. Tons of people were wearing orange that day!!! (Just to warn the OP, it was bright orange, like carrots. Not sure if coral is going to work. However, I recall it was only during the daytime that the orange was worn, not in the evening (if that helps).)

If bright orange isn't your colour, you could always pin an orange ribbon onto your blouse or t-shirt, or wrap the ribbon around your wrist. Have a great cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If bright orange isn't your colour, you could always pin an orange ribbon onto your blouse or t-shirt, or wrap the ribbon around your wrist. Have a great cruise!

Great idea about the ribbon, Will show Denise made some att empt to join in the festrivities. :)

I agree, coral isn't going to c cut it.

Netherlands color is ORange, .... :)

We were in Amsterdam a few years ago the day after the Dutch lost the world soccer championship. Even tho' they lost, they were number 2, so there was an enormous celebration. We were just starting a river cruise, so we had front row seats to a floating parade that went right past us. Every floating device in the city participated--including rubber rafts--and everyone wore orange. Those of us who didn't have orange clothing wore our bright orange life jackets. Factory smokestacks belched out orange smoke! It was enormous fun. Very patriotic people!

The Rotterdam: HUGE, packed party in the CN. VERY high spirits. Orange everywhere, including 90% of pax wearing something orange.

Dinner in MDR had a great menu with several Dutch options. Dutch couple at next table: he in orange shirt and pants and SHOES, with blue sox. Super!

I think the Rotterdam goes all out; other ships maybe not so much from what we have seen.

Great day. great people!

Sounds like it could be something really special. How nice of them to let you know to bring something orange. I agree that even a ribbon or little scarf tied around your wrist or pin on your blouse which showed that you want to participate!

I recall a picture here showing someone wearing big fluffy bedroom slippers that were in the shape of wooden shoes. wooden shoe slippers

Here you go - eBay -99 cents - an orange flower pin: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rose-Flower-Bridal-Hair-Clip-Hairpin-Brooch-Wedding-Bridesmaid-Party-Accessories/192102340096?var=492001121795&hash=item2cba311600:g:QXUAAOSw4A5Ynr8O

This is a great idea !! Orange is not my color ( I’m a pink or green gal ) .

We will be in Dubrovnik that day and I will rock the orange ribbon ( also used for gun violence awareness) .

We were in Amsterdam a few years ago the day after the Dutch lost the world soccer championship. Even tho' they lost, they were number 2, so there was an enormous celebration. We were just starting a river cruise, so we had front row seats to a floating parade that went right past us. Every floating device in the city participated--including rubber rafts--and everyone wore orange. Those of us who didn't have orange clothing wore our bright orange life jackets. Factory smokestacks belched out orange smoke! It was enormous fun. Very patriotic people!

Um.. I wish you had never said this because I’m the type to wear the life jacket proudly. I wonder if that’s a no no in the main dining room.

Orange flower garlands were handed out to all the passengers. So everyone had something orange.

When The Netherlands were in the football world cup final a few years ago, people wore orange, even the captain. The main theatre was used to televise the final with Spain. It was packed and we had a blast.

Sandra

We were on Koningsdam last year on Kings Day and there was nothing, zilch!

We received a similar email before we left home and I went out and bought a Nederland soccer shirt (bright, bright orange!)

When Kings day arrived I wore the shirt to breakfast in the lido. There were a few wearing bits of orange, but nothing much out of the ordinary. The lido staff were wearing orange ribbons pinned to their shirts!

Complete non event!

We were on Koningsdam last year on Kings Day and there was nothing, zilch!

We received a similar email before we left home and I went out and bought a Nederland soccer shirt (bright, bright orange!)

When Kings day arrived I wore the shirt to breakfast in the lido. There were a few wearing bits of orange, but nothing much out of the ordinary. The lido staff were wearing orange ribbons pinned to their shirts!

Complete non event!

Oh, I was all excited until I read this.

We're on board Volendam on the 27th, plus it's DW's birthday and our 15th Anniversary to boot!

I do look horrible in Orange, but have a Blackpool FC shirt I could pack to wear.

Here is an article (in Dutch, so use google translate) that talks about the Koningsdag celebration on board a year ago, it doesn't say which ship, but it looks like an S or R.

As said, they do not serve drinks for free, but as with many celebrations, they offer a special mix of the day.

https://verkeersbureaus.info/nieuws/2017/04/28/94961-holland-america-line-schepen-kleurden-oranje-koningsdag/

I would not pass up a party, but would not wear orange. I would not be comfortable honoring a monarch or any other foreign leader. Leave that part of the observance to any Dutch onboard.

We're on board Volendam on the 27th, plus it's DW's birthday and our 15th Anniversary to boot!

I do look horrible in Orange, but have a Blackpool FC shirt I could pack to wear.

now, now take it easy big boy! ;p

They will make more of a fuss over the birthday and anniversary. Nothing like a good old sing-song in the MDR;p

Wear your orange with a smile on your face and in the spirit of fun it is intended to generate and you will look beautiful.

I would not pass up a party, but would not wear orange. I would not be comfortable honoring a monarch or any other foreign leader. Leave that part of the observance to any Dutch onboard.

I (US citizen) was living in Switzerland during the US Bicentennial - I loved how they got in the spirt with colors, banners, menus and even shopping bags with the Declaration of independence printed on them. I was happy they wanted to share this with us. Honoring a country's own celebration is not pledging allegiance to a foreign power.

Relax I seriously doubt anyone will be asked or expected to swear allegiance. It's a birthday party :)

And I've never heard him referred to as a cruel monarch with outrageously abused p;ower...... nor any of his beautiful family.

Yesterday, I wrote a post here on CC a bout how it has been my impression, HAL has backed off from fun... they plan a fun party and This is what they get. :eek: Sometimes you just cannot win. :D

Edited by sail7seas