libraries and librarians.

CameraCrazy

i just booked a cruise on the NOORDAM for 2019 to Australia and New Zealand and asked where the library is, since I didn’t see it in the deck plans. I’ve sailed on the smaller ships - PRIMSENDAM, MAASDAM, VOLENDAM, but never on the NOORDAM. I was told that there were no more libraries on the HAL ships! Is this possible? As a former librarian and avid reader, I was appalled. People loved the libraries and the room was always packed. I’ve been searching threads and see no mention of it here on the Forums. I was told the reason for this was that the librarians did not renew their contracts. They didn’t like cleaning up after the clientele.

What is going on?

As far as I know, the Noordam still has a library. It never was in the same area as on the other Vista ships, though, so perhaps you are looking in the wrong place?

Try looking on Promenade Deck, aft of the forward elevators, on starboard side. It's across from the Hudson (and a couple of other) small meeting rooms.

Librarians have been gone from the ships for a bit now.

Libraries still exist on some ships.

Those that have them in the Crow's Nest are suffering from the updates and many books are gone.

those that don't have their libraries in the Crow's Nest (like the Noordam) still have libraries so far.

Staff put away the returned books, or, I suspect with you being familiar with a library, like myself, I just put the book back where it goes when I return it ;)

i just booked a cruise on the NOORDAM for 2019 to Australia and New Zealand and asked where the library is, since I didn’t see it in the deck plans. I’ve sailed on the smaller ships - PRIMSENDAM, MAASDAM, VOLENDAM, but never on the NOORDAM. I was told that there were no more libraries on the HAL ships! Is this possible? As a former librarian and avid reader, I was appalled. People loved the libraries and the room was always packed. I’ve been searching threads and see no mention of it here on the Forums. I was told the reason for this was that the librarians did not renew their contracts. They didn’t like cleaning up after the clientele.

What is going on?

When people can pack and take with them hundreds of books, without increasing the weight of their luggage by one micro-ounce, the demand for libraries in ships goes down. I'd rather pick my own reading material than depend on selecting from the relatively few books a ship library would contain.

I am an avid reader and proponent of libraries. With that said, I choose my reading material for vacation carefully and would never leave it up to chance by presuming an onboard library would have something I’d like to read. YesI load up my Kindle. It has been a godsend not to have to pack 5-7 books. I don’t even have to leave my PJs to get books.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have an Ipad too. And the books I have on it have still not been read. Started, but not finished and they are good books, I find the glare too harsh and the manouering a PITA.

I read them when I have to, but I traditonally sail on ships with decent libraries where I can find something that intrigues me.

There's probably tricks to Ipads I haven't learned yet but for now, I sail on ships that have libraries. It's not a must, but it's high on the list. And they usually have the best itinerearies for us too, ironically :)

We were on the Noordam in December and it does have a Library. I believe it was on Deck 3. Look for the Explorer Cafe on the deck plan . The Library is nearby. I think the Librarians have been replaced by internet helpers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Noordam in December and it does have a Library. I believe it was on Deck 3. Look for the Explorer Cafe on the deck plan . The Library is nearby. I think the Librarians have been replaced by internet helpers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No internet helpers on the Zuiderdam or Prinsendam last year. The printers in both libraries were either out of ink, paper, or something else. Called the front desk, they said they would "send someone"........

No internet helpers on the Zuiderdam or Prinsendam last year. The printers in both libraries were either out of ink, paper, or something else. Called the front desk, they said they would "send someone"........

I never report something to the front desk. I get a complaint card and fill it in. We have always had prompt attention.

I then get a another card and write a compliment about the prompt service.

IMO, if your technical enough to use a Kindle than that is the way to travel when cruising.

Do I enjoy holding and reading a good book? You bet! However, my Kindle is my choice while traveling.

I enjoy reading my favorites reads, themes and books and would never rely on what’s available in the ships library.

I also understand for some it’s hard to change.

Even my son who is a New York City Library Libarian has a Kindle for convience while traveling.

What I will miss is the eventual loss of a Hal Library for a place to read my Kindle.:')

i have a kindle...don't care for it....the libraries are a wonderful spot on the ship to sit and read whether you prefer a kindle or a regular book....all of the holland cruises i have done the library has always been one of the most well used areas on the entire ship....i am sure some of the bean counters hate the idea that all this space hasn't been turned into some revenue producing venues....be careful what you wish for with the kindles or it will encourage the demise of these special places....

The Front Desk...no help ever. This was only our second cruise with HAL we were on the Westerdam before which had the library on the upper Forward deck with comfy chairs facing floor to ceiling windows. Very nice. But, I do have a Kindle. Just have to cover all the bases.

i have a kindle...don't care for it....the libraries are a wonderful spot on the ship to sit and read whether you prefer a kindle or a regular book....all of the holland cruises i have done the library has always been one of the most well used areas on the entire ship....i am sure some of the bean counters hate the idea that all this space hasn't been turned into some revenue producing venues....be careful what you wish for with the kindles or it will encourage the demise of these special places....
I have noticed that the “Starbucks “ is right next to the Library. It’s all about revenue. I do love my Kindle but there is something special about browsing the Library or the bookstore.

I never report something to the front desk. I get a complaint card and fill it in. We have always had prompt attention.

I then get a another card and write a compliment about the prompt service.

Well played. :)

Still a nice, well-used library on the Amsterdam. Orlando Ashford told us last week that the libraries were not being removed but did not expand on this.

Thank you, thank you, thank you - for reporting this, Kathi. I am relieved. It would be a long, long cruise without a library. (and yes, Kindle lovers, we have ebooks.)

Even my son who is a New York City Library Libarian has a Kindle for convience while traveling.

My son would definitely comment on my spelling of librarian!:confused:

Ebooks have their place(s), and they are wonderfully handy. But for a 90 or 120 day cruise, I want a library! So enough, you ebook devotees! We know all about their attributes but prefer, for various reasons, to have the proximity of a physical library on occasion..

Have an Ipad too. And the books I have on it have still not been read. Started, but not finished and they are good books, I find the glare too harsh and the manouering a PITA.

I read them when I have to, but I traditonally sail on ships with decent libraries where I can find something that intrigues me.

There's probably tricks to Ipads I haven't learned yet but for now, I sail on ships that have libraries. It's not a must, but it's high on the list. And they usually have the best itinerearies for us too, ironically :)

I too vastly prefer a real paper book. But I have found that kindles are vastly superior to my IPad for reading. I have read only one novel on my IPad but dozens on kindle. There is no glare and they are easy to maneuver and load. I have recently discovered the joys of book bub.

I had an original kindle but prefer my new paperwhite.

The older ships that still have the dedicated library space have very large array of choices - not just a "few books". That is now the case in the ships that have done away with the dedicated library space and have installed a few cubicles of what they now call "curated" selections. Those are the ships to avoid if if you want a "real" library experience while onboard and not rely on brining along your own selections. ("Real library" - ranging collections under general collections, where browsing the titles can lead to serendipitous surprises.)

This means now only the older, smaller R&S class ships and the Noordam still have what we used to know as the previously wonderful HAL library spaces. These luckily are still the ships that do the longer cruises where dedicated library time is the most welcome.

I’ll add my two cents worth to this discussion, hoping the powers that be will realize there a plenty of cruisers that enjoy real books and the wonderful HAL libraries.

While I bring my kindle paperwhite and ipad on cruises instead of books due to luggage space and weight restrictions, I still much prefer to read a physical book. As a side note, since I stopped packing books in my checked luggage, the TSA has not opened and inspected my luggage.

One of the things I do when there is a real library on a ship, is look to see if there are books I want to read. We also do long cruises, so I check out the library several times in case a good book has been returned.

Besides the R and S class ship libraries, don’t forget the great library on the Prinsendam. Just wish I could find a place to sit in there more often.

As far as ease of reading, the kindle is much easier to read, especially outside than an ipad.

We got off the Zaandam in Ft Lauderdale on April 2. It was headed for drydock next.

On disembarkation morning, all books had been cleared off the library shelves. Could be just to accommodate renovations, or it could mean the end of the library. Will be curious to learn the status once Zaandam resumes sailing.