3/23/18 Reflection Cruise thoughts and why goodby to Celebrity

bbrule7

The rule is the rule. No amount of hand wringing, foot stomping or arguing will change it. The rule is not new. If some regard it as unjust or unfair, they knew, or should/could have known beforehand and chose to submit themselves to the application of the rule. If said cruisers then don't like it they are certainly free and within their rights to not sail again. I don't know what more there is to say.

I often do have to scratch my head and say "hmmmm." I don't quite understand why posters offering differing points of view are classified as either "cheerleaders" or "whiners." The purpose of this forum (I thought) was for a healthy dialogue of ideas and information relative to cruising.

Some people often resort to name calling or playing the blame game when they see that they are losing the argument. Just human nature.

This was our 14th cruise overall and 4th on Celebrity. These are going to be our(wife and I) thoughts and opinions on process from embarkation to disembarkation. Embarkation ,as usual in Fort Lauderdale, not very organized. Were not able to park close to area to drop off checked bags. After dragging two large bags a considerable distance, security and check in went smoothly. Wife needs wheel chair assistance to get up ramp to ship. We waited over 35 minutes and finally we walked on board. Was supposed to have a line for suite guests but we were sent to wrong area. Don't believe this can be blamed on Celebrity as I think most of people at terminal are port employees. Ship was in very good condition and staff was super. Every cruise the selection of food seems less appealing. Staff in Luminae and Blu and Ocean Vue were all super. Our orders In Luminae were wrong four different times, different waiter on orders so must have been kitchen goof ups. Ate one night in Tuscan Grille and food and service were extraordinary. Butler and cabin attendant were always asking what more they could do to make our cruise enjoyable. Dismbarkation went quite smoothly. Out of cabin by 8:30, hung out in Michael's till about 9:30 requested a wheelchair and off the ship picked up luggage went through customs and were dropped off by UBER pickup area in 15 minutes. All in all an enjoyable cruise. So why good bye to Celebrity? Feb/Mar 2017 we had to cancel a cruise on the Reflection (Sky suite deck 12) approx. 2 weeks prior to sailing. Our travel agent called and cancelled. We understood that we would not receive our fare refunded. At my request travel agent called later and asked if we would receive Captains Club points as we had paid and cancelled allowing Celebrity to resell the cabin. Celebrity rep said no, points are only awarded after cruise is completed. I didn't agree but let it go at the time. While we were on the 3/23/2018 cruise I visited the Captains Club hostess on Reflection and went through the whole scenario with her. She made a call and received the same answer that our travel agent received.The hostess said most of the reps on the phone are more or less reading from a script and suggested that when I got home to call and speak with a manager, which she was unable to do. I did as she suggested, had to go through the whole scenario with a script reader in order to talk to a manager. Got to a manager (?) and again went through the whole story again. His reply was hard fast rule no points. I again went through the process of paying and not using the four perks and Celebrity being able to resell the cabin. Again his reply no points. In hindsite I should have just been a noshow, then I don't believe they would have had the option to resell. In the end I'm sorry it ends this way, but it has now become matter of principle with me. I really like Celebrity but I just returned from my travel agent with brochures for Holland America and Viking Ocean Cruises.

We found the food declined so much on our 2017 Eclipse tour from the prior year. Maître D made the chef come out & apologize to the diners. We decided to try out The Oceania Riviera this past Jan. The food was fantastic. Being foodies & owning a large catering company, it was nice to see something done right. You saw NOT one photographer on board. No crappy art sales, no "Gold by the foot". The sidewalk sales were small & had high quality merchandise. The entertainment was quite lack luster as the food is where the budget's at. Overall our 10 day cruise was about $1000PP more. We cancelled our 2019 14 day trip on the Reflection for a 14 day cruise again on the Riviera. It's about $1550PP more, but feel the price is worth the extra.

We found the food declined so much on our 2017 Eclipse tour from the prior year. Maître D made the chef come out & apologize to the diners. We decided to try out The Oceania Riviera this past Jan. The food was fantastic. Being foodies & owning a large catering company, it was nice to see something done right. You saw NOT one photographer on board. No crappy art sales, no "Gold by the foot". The sidewalk sales were small & had high quality merchandise. The entertainment was quite lack luster as the food is where the budget's at. Overall our 10 day cruise was about $1000PP more. We cancelled our 2019 14 day trip on the Reflection for a 14 day cruise again on the Riviera. It's about $1550PP more, but feel the price is worth the extra.

Thanks. We are considering Oceania in August. Azamara may also tick the box for you - had a lovely cruise with them last October. And indeed we found most of the food excellent on the QM2 last year for a winter cross - also the best musicians we have seen on a ship.

We did get a very good rate for Celebrity next month so in our minds it is transport and a bed rather than a culinary experience.

We have low/realistic expectations on the MDR, if the weather is nice we will probably do the outside area of the buffet, some speciality restaurants etc. And will definitely do a few nice lunches off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This was our 14th cruise overall and 4th on Celebrity. These are going to be our(wife and I) thoughts and opinions on process from embarkation to disembarkation. Embarkation ,as usual in Fort Lauderdale, not very organized. Were not able to park close to area to drop off checked bags. After dragging two large bags a considerable distance, security and check in went smoothly. Wife needs wheel chair assistance to get up ramp to ship. We waited over 35 minutes and finally we walked on board. Was supposed to have a line for suite guests but we were sent to wrong area. Don't believe this can be blamed on Celebrity as I think most of people at terminal are port employees. Ship was in very good condition and staff was super. Every cruise the selection of food seems less appealing. Staff in Luminae and Blu and Ocean Vue were all super. Our orders In Luminae were wrong four different times, different waiter on orders so must have been kitchen goof ups. Ate one night in Tuscan Grille and food and service were extraordinary. Butler and cabin attendant were always asking what more they could do to make our cruise enjoyable. Dismbarkation went quite smoothly. Out of cabin by 8:30, hung out in Michael's till about 9:30 requested a wheelchair and off the ship picked up luggage went through customs and were dropped off by UBER pickup area in 15 minutes. All in all an enjoyable cruise. So why good bye to Celebrity? Feb/Mar 2017 we had to cancel a cruise on the Reflection (Sky suite deck 12) approx. 2 weeks prior to sailing. Our travel agent called and cancelled. We understood that we would not receive our fare refunded. At my request travel agent called later and asked if we would receive Captains Club points as we had paid and cancelled allowing Celebrity to resell the cabin. Celebrity rep said no, points are only awarded after cruise is completed. I didn't agree but let it go at the time. While we were on the 3/23/2018 cruise I visited the Captains Club hostess on Reflection and went through the whole scenario with her. She made a call and received the same answer that our travel agent received.The hostess said most of the reps on the phone are more or less reading from a script and suggested that when I got home to call and speak with a manager, which she was unable to do. I did as she suggested, had to go through the whole scenario with a script reader in order to talk to a manager. Got to a manager (?) and again went through the whole story again. His reply was hard fast rule no points. I again went through the process of paying and not using the four perks and Celebrity being able to resell the cabin. Again his reply no points. In hindsite I should have just been a noshow, then I don't believe they would have had the option to resell. In the end I'm sorry it ends this way, but it has now become matter of principle with me. I really like Celebrity but I just returned from my travel agent with brochures for Holland America and Viking Ocean Cruises.

Last month I had an emergency requiring me to cancel a Delta flight to PA. My fare was paid in full and it was a non-refundable ticket. My seat was then resold to another soul needing to get to PA. By your way of thinking, are you suggesting that I call Delta and ask to receive the sky miles that would have been awarded to me had I taken the flight since I essentially paid for them? And when they refuse, I should then seek out another airline? It just doesn't work that way, my friend.

" I don't like the rules but I'm still gonna play the game........"

There are quite a few policies put forth by Celebrity and other cruise lines that I may not be exactly fond of, but when I book I agree to abide by them.

Last month I had an emergency requiring me to cancel a Delta flight to PA. My fare was paid in full and it was a non-refundable ticket. My seat was then resold to another soul needing to get to PA. By your way of thinking, are you suggesting that I call Delta and ask to receive the sky miles that would have been awarded to me had I taken the flight since I essentially paid for them? And when they refuse, I should then seek out another airline? It just doesn't work that way, my friend.

No you should call Delta 3 or 4 times asking about the Sky Pesos and when they refuse to give them to you post on FlyerTalk about why you will never fly them again. The people over there make the people on this board look tame.

No you should call Delta 3 or 4 times asking about the Sky Pesos and when they refuse to give them to you post on FlyerTalk about why you will never fly them again. The people over there make the people on this board look tame.

Lol. You got that right!

Phil33f86ad85884257a0393c4937e09fa44.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tru dat!

People have never seen or felt flame until a poster makes a broad or over the top comment or complaint.

One may not run away, yet will ask 'what in tar nations just happened' and why is my keyboard singed?

I have been the recipient of several of this lashings for sure over the years. Much better at taking them now, when warranted.

LOL

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I also am v impressed w Oceania. I loved our June 2016 Baltic cruise on Marina. Food was fabulous. Wish all my cruises would be on Oceania.

Next up is a July Alaska cruise on Millie in Aquaclass. Am expecting good experiences in Blu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums