3/23/18 Reflection Cruise thoughts and why goodby to Celebrity

bbrule7

This was our 14th cruise overall and 4th on Celebrity. These are going to be our(wife and I) thoughts and opinions on process from embarkation to disembarkation. Embarkation ,as usual in Fort Lauderdale, not very organized. Were not able to park close to area to drop off checked bags. After dragging two large bags a considerable distance, security and check in went smoothly. ...

You should drop off bags with the porters before parking....it's so much easier!

I'm not sure why your embarkation in Fort Lauderdale is usually disorganized. I've done over 40 embarkations in Fort Lauderdale and only found them to be disorganized a couple of times. Disembarkation can be a bit chaotic though.

This to add some clarity to my original post. The post was meant to share our thoughts and concerns on the cruise, not to solicit disagreements or agreements. If after speaking to the Captains Club hostess on the ship she would have stated "no cruise no points" I would not have agreed but would have considered it a done deal and moved on. But she advised me to contact someone in a management position which led me to believe these cases could be handled on a case by case basis. After reading one post it can be handled that way. So apparently it is not a firm rule.

After following different sub forums it seems like every different cruise line has its own little fan club and when certain fans don't agree with posts they pounce.

She shouldn't have really said this to you and maybe an example when honesty is the best policy rather than trying to placate someone in front of you who may have reacted to what you said. I've no idea. I wasn't there, but perhaps a "you can try, but don't hold your breath" approach would have been better. You read one post from one poster on an anonymous message board saying they had an alternative result, with everyone else here stating "no cruise, no points" and deduce it's not a firm rule? The reason it's like it is has been given a few times on this thread. After reading those don't you think it's a reasonable policy? To me it is perfectly sensible.

Phil

This to add some clarity to my original post. The post was meant to share our thoughts and concerns on the cruise, not to solicit disagreements or agreements. If after speaking to the Captains Club hostess on the ship she would have stated "no cruise no points" I would not have agreed but would have considered it a done deal and moved on. But she advised me to contact someone in a management position which led me to believe these cases could be handled on a case by case basis. After reading one post it can be handled that way. So apparently it is not a firm rule.

After following different sub forums it seems like every different cruise line has its own little fan club and when certain fans don't agree with posts they pounce.

Or you had a Captains Club Hostess that wanted to avoid the issue by giving you an answer that moved it to post cruise and out of her area.

If there was any fault on the part of anyone at Celebrity it was her. Of course by doing what she did she reduced that chance of someone complaining about her.

I don’t know why anyone would expect cruising points for a cruise they did not take.

With that said, the Captains Club Hostess should not have encouraged calling someone else to negotiate points for a cruise never taken.

We do know exceptions are made in different situations, including another post where someone called two weeks prior to a cruise, canceled for medical reasons (did not have insurance), and the cruise line agreed to give them another cruise at no cost. Meanwhile others pay a lot of money each and every cruise to have just medical and/or trip cancellation insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t know why anyone would expect cruising points for a cruise they did not take.

With that said, the Captains Club Hostess should not have encouraged calling someone else to negotiate points for a cruise never taken.

We do know exceptions are made in different situations, including another post where someone called two weeks prior to a cruise, canceled for medical reasons (did not have insurance), and the cruise line agreed to give them another cruise at no cost. Meanwhile others pay a lot of money each and every cruise to have just medical and/or trip cancellation insurance.

Well logically you paid for a cruise so you should get the points.

But as with airlines you have to travel.

Well logically you paid for a cruise so you should get the points.

But as with airlines you have to travel.

Logically you get your money back on travel insurance if you can’t go so you won't have paid for it. Same with airline tickets. I don’t get why that is so hard for some to understand that.

Phil

Logically you get your money back on travel insurance if you can’t go so you won't have paid for it. Same with airline tickets. I don’t get why that is so hard for some to understand that.

Phil

Not if you have to cancel for work reasons. I have lost many flights over the years but I accept that risk as I book early and get cheaper tickets.

You should drop off bags with the porters before parking....it's so much easier!

I'm not sure why your embarkation in Fort Lauderdale is usually disorganized. I've done over 40 embarkations in Fort Lauderdale and only found them to be disorganized a couple of times. Disembarkation can be a bit chaotic though.

should have said uber driver was not able to get close to the porters because of the congestion and people directing traffic

Unless something really terrible happens I rarely understand why people say "I will never sale with .... cruiseline again" - there is only so much choice, it's not the same as saying "I won't stop in Hotel XYZ in New York", when there's another 5000 hotels to pick from.

You risk looking a bit foolish if you publicly declare "Never Again" and then rebook because of a good deal or that great itinerary. Better to say you're taking a break, looking at other options etc etc

Phil

Not sure that logic matters. The trip was paid for whether you were reimbursed by insurance or not.

The operative fact is the trip wasn't taken. And actually cruising (or flying, staying in a hotel, etc.) is what's tracked in loyalty programs, not whether the cruise (flight, hotel room) was paid for.

You risk looking a bit foolish if you publicly declare "Never Again" and then rebook because of a good deal or that great itinerary. Better to say you're taking a break, looking at other options etc etc

The beauty of the internet: It's a anonymous. You never really look foolish because nobody knows who you are. Exaggerstions are so damn easy.

Same reason I don't believe half of what I read only any forum, not just CC. Whether it's complaints, special snowflake upgrades or experiences, etc. I read it with a grain of salt the size of a baseball.

I won't post to this thread again because it's obvious some really don't get it and will argue that black is white.

Phil

I agree with you that's why I've decided to post a lot less on this board, people will argue almost everything.

Bottom line here is that when you sign up for the Captains Club, you AGREE to follow the rules of the Club. One of the rules you agree to when you sign up is that you have to actually take the cruise to get the points. That is very clear all people need to do is read. Some just think the rules don't apply to them. Some may report they got them but you can chalk that up to a mistake on someone's part.

I was surprised to hear the hostess pass the buck.

I was surprised to hear the hostess pass the buck.

I'm repeating myself from other threads, but there have recently been lots of new people promoted to Captains Club Host/Hostess and training appears be be insufficient. It might be that this particular CCH was one of the newly annointed people and just did not know the correct answer. Or, they may have just wanted to pass the buck. I would expect to see, and am seeing, more complaints about CCHs then in the past.

I agree with you that's why I've decided to post a lot less on this board, people will argue almost everything.

Bottom line here is that when you sign up for the Captains Club, you AGREE to follow the rules of the Club. One of the rules you agree to when you sign up is that you have to actually take the cruise to get the points. That is very clear all people need to do is read. Some just think the rules don't apply to them. Some may report they got them but you can chalk that up to a mistake on someone's part.

Both of you are correct, IMO, many want to run towards the anomaly in lieu of reading and understanding the rules and abiding by them...

After all, we all are 'special' cases which deserve breaking of the rules and policies??

bon voyage

This is akin to another poster leaving X due to the MDR having 'inedible food' and children aboard....

I have always had issues with inedible children. Would never cruise :)again on a cruise line that served them.:D:D:D:D:D

Both of you are correct, IMO, many want to run towards the anomaly in lieu of reading and understanding the rules and abiding by them...

After all, we all are 'special' cases which deserve breaking of the rules and policies??

bon voyage

I often do have to scratch my head and say "hmmmm." I don't quite understand why posters offering differing points of view are classified as either "cheerleaders" or "whiners." The purpose of this forum (I thought) was for a healthy dialogue of ideas and information relative to cruising.

What’s that got to do with the price of fish?

Phil

You can’t claim for that on insurance.

But if I pay for fish in the supermarket,

I receive supermarket points irrespective of whether I eat the fish. More logic....

You can’t claim for that on insurance.

But if I pay for fish in the supermarket,

I receive supermarket points irrespective of whether I eat the fish. More logic....

Don't you only receive your supermarket points once you pay and go through the line? Same notion as Celebrity. You get your points when you swipe your card to exit the ship.