Port Canaveral customs -- HORRIBLE!!

Have NEVER had a long line on any PC cruise either boarding Or disembarkation.

Same here, things have always gone very smoothly for us at PC, especially since Terminal 1 was completed.

Hopefully they have this resolved soon, we'll be debarking from PC in 11 days. My parents sailed in Feb and didn't report any issues, but they did self-assist, which is what we'll be doing as well. We've sailed Carnival out of PC and always found debarkation to be very smooth, we did self-assist as well. 4 customs agents does not seem like enough for 6k people. Assuming debarkation takes 3.5 hrs and if you assume 2.2 people per customs declaration you would be looking at 194 forms per hour that a customs agent has to process. I'm not sure that is even doable.

Did she embark in Rome? I am talking about closed loop U.S. citizens leaving from the U.S. and returning to the U.S. not having to fill out the customs forms now.

Yes in Rome. Btw they haven't been using the machines in Aruba for a couple of months now.

Same here, things have always gone very smoothly for us at PC, especially since Terminal 1 was completed.

The point/warning I was trying to make is that things seemed to have changed recently. I previously also had great experiences with Port Canaveral. But, recent changes to how they run things have seemingly changed all that. I've previously debarked in every way that has been suggested on this thread; but my most recent experience this week was completely different! So, yes, many of you have have had great experiences in the past -- but, be prepared for a completely different experience if things don't get fixed.

We got off the Majesty of the Seas yesterday. Port Canaveral customs was HORRIBLE! I have been on 16 cruises -- probably half of them out of Port Canaveral. I have never waited so long to clear customs (an hour +). There were three windows open. The porters got priority at one of them, slowing the line down even further. ................... Has anyone else experienced this recently at Port Canaveral?

I too wonder if it was a bad day, or a trend. Your question is worded that way and I see you have experience. I was suprised you said this happened (but not doubting) with Majesty. Although when I have done Majesty and soon to be Port Canaveral, I will be doing self assist. Did you go at an assigned time? But Majesty does seem to have a high percentage of people using self assist, so maybe that doesn't matter.

Have NEVER had a long line on any PC cruise either boarding Or disembarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

and NEITHER have I! Until this week! This is why it was so surprising and disappointing. So, the fact that you have "NEVER" had a long line does not mean that will ALWAYS hold true.

I too wonder if it was a bad day, or a trend. Your question is worded that way and I see you have experience. I was suprised you said this happened (but not doubting) with Majesty. Although when I have done Majesty and soon to be Port Canaveral, I will be doing self assist. Did you go at an assigned time? But Majesty does seem to have a high percentage of people using self assist, so maybe that doesn't matter.

I probably would have normally just assumed that the port was short-staffed that day; that my timing was just the worst; that this was a rare exception; or any number of other abnormal factors that caused the wait to be over an hour. However, I spoke with Royal Caribbean staff at the port AND third party transportation staff who all expressed frustration about recent changes and basically urged me to contact Port Canaveral directly with complaints. I was also told by both people that debarkation the day before with Oasis was even worse. The ship announced that they were clear for debarkation at about 7:40AM. We had a nice breakfast and then departed the ship at about 9:00AM. The line snaked from one end of the building to the other for a total of about 5 times before you got to one of the three open windows. The appropriate solution is not to just get up earlier or get off the ship earlier. Self-debarkation is very difficult when traveling with a small child. So, it would be great to see the problem fixed.

The point/warning I was trying to make is that things seemed to have changed recently. I previously also had great experiences with Port Canaveral. But, recent changes to how they run things have seemingly changed all that. I've previously debarked in every way that has been suggested on this thread; but my most recent experience this week was completely different! So, yes, many of you have have had great experiences in the past -- but, be prepared for a completely different experience if things don't get fixed.

I appreciate the info.

Will monitor this thread and will probably contact the Port Authority. We had problems with Terminal 1 the first time we disembarked from Freedom but learned to go directly to the car and not have me wait with the luggage while my husband brought the car.

Spring Break and this was a Fluke. Sorry but happens at all ports once in while, not a regular thing. I've waited 90 min CBP at Ft Lauderdale and Tampa ports, just once each... The Porter thing isn't new, use to be a Regular thing going to separate line at Tampa and Ft Lauderdale...

I was just offering a solution if it’s important to you to not wait in line.

Your "solution" is not a reasonable one. There are a very limited amount of suites. So, that really can't help thousands of people waiting in line, can it?

Another simpler solution is to call / write / email and complain to people who can make a difference.

I paid enough for my cruise. I shouldn't have to pay even more just to get reasonable service when I get off this ship. Was spring break a surprise to the port? They could not have predicted all the extra people? I think not. They could simply have had more agents working customs.

We got off the Majesty of the Seas yesterday. Port Canaveral customs was HORRIBLE! I have been on 16 cruises -- probably half of them out of Port Canaveral. I have never waited so long to clear customs (an hour +). There were three windows open. The porters got priority at one of them, slowing the line down even further. I kindly complained to several people who all emphatically explained that this was not Royal Caribbean's fault, but rather the fault of changes made by Port Canaveral people. I believe it. Everyone was frustrated -- customers, agents, shuttle drivers, etc. Multiple people stressed that we call the Port directly to complain. I was told that the day before was even worse (bigger ship)! If you have experienced problems or experience them in the future please reach out to the Port to complain -- that is the only way this thing will get fixed. I would very seriously reconsider cruising out of Port Canaveral in the future if this does not get fixed. Nobody wants to end a cruise with such a negative (and easily fixable) experience. Has anyone else experienced this recently at Port Canaveral?

We were on this exact same cruise as yourself. We had #1 tags, and we got walked off the ship, got our bags, only to realize that the porters had the left side customs line for themselves. Pissed me off. We stood in the line with our bag for about 45 minutes to an hour. The "Porter" line just went straight through. What a scam.

Your "solution" is not a reasonable one. There are a very limited amount of suites. So, that really can't help thousands of people waiting in line, can it?

Another simpler solution is to call / write / email and complain to people who can make a difference.

I paid enough for my cruise. I shouldn't have to pay even more just to get reasonable service when I get off this ship. Was spring break a surprise to the port? They could not have predicted all the extra people? I think not. They could simply have had more agents working customs.

It might be unreasonable to you but some may have not known this. Suites get first walk off most of the time.

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

Well folks, you get what you vote for. With large across the board cuts in various federal organizations, there simply isn't the same number of employees to do all the work.

Another point, birth certificates and IDs are usually given a longer check than a passport. I have been in Tampa where there were three lines for Immigration and Customs: non-USA citizens, passport holders and Birth Certificate with ID (if anyone in the part had only a birth certificate with ID, everyone went in the birth certificate line). The passport line was speedy. The birth certificate line was very slow.

Well folks, you get what you vote for. With large across the board cuts in various federal organizations, there simply isn't the same number of employees to do all the work.

Another point, birth certificates and IDs are usually given a longer check than a passport. I have been in Tampa where there were three lines for Immigration and Customs: non-USA citizens, passport holders and Birth Certificate with ID (if anyone in the part had only a birth certificate with ID, everyone went in the birth certificate line). The passport line was speedy. The birth certificate line was very slow.

I voted for less Government. It doesn’t take 50 people to do a one person job.

We shouldn’t be dependent on Government for so many things.

We disembarked on April 7 and it was horrible, embarking wasn’t really any better. This was the first time I have sailed out of Port Canaveral and I’m certainly not in any rush to do it again. We did end up getting a porter after noticing the line hadn’t moved in 20 minutes, considered the best money spent on the entire trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We got off the Majesty of the Seas yesterday. Port Canaveral customs was HORRIBLE! I have been on 16 cruises -- probably half of them out of Port Canaveral. I have never waited so long to clear customs (an hour +). There were three windows open. The porters got priority at one of them, slowing the line down even further. I kindly complained to several people who all emphatically explained that this was not Royal Caribbean's fault, but rather the fault of changes made by Port Canaveral people. I believe it. Everyone was frustrated -- customers, agents, shuttle drivers, etc. Multiple people stressed that we call the Port directly to complain. I was told that the day before was even worse (bigger ship)! If you have experienced problems or experience them in the future please reach out to the Port to complain -- that is the only way this thing will get fixed. I would very seriously reconsider cruising out of Port Canaveral in the future if this does not get fixed. Nobody wants to end a cruise with such a negative (and easily fixable) experience. Has anyone else experienced this recently at Port Canaveral?

We got off this morning and were out waiting for our ride very quickly.

Returning from a B2B we did notice on Monday that the ship did clear very slowly and in our experience at PC that was a very unusual situation. It did appear that all Customs slots were in use today.

That is a function of Homeland Security and one would have to contact their elected official in the Senate or House of Representatives about manpower at the Port. Not RCI's problem. In Florida, Senator Nelson is a big advocate of Port Canaveral so he might be one that can be contacted!

On oasis last October did self assist and walked off. Granted the line did wrap around stairs but it moved. The porter situation is a scam IMO. We pay enough for a vacation shouldn’t have to pay to get to front of lines. Will let you know in May how we encounter it again...

We disembarked on April 7 and it was horrible, embarking wasn’t really any better. This was the first time I have sailed out of Port Canaveral and I’m certainly not in any rush to do it again. We did end up getting a porter after noticing the line hadn’t moved in 20 minutes, considered the best money spent on the entire trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You must have meant Friday, April 6th.