Prepaid Gratuities

Angelicro

I haven't cruised for 7 yrs due to health reasons. I noticed that Carnival when we recently booked offered the option of prepaid gratuity of 129.00 for a five day cruise. Does everyone pay this ahead of time?

I always prepay the gratuities. Then, I bring extra for those who go above and beyond. Our cabin steward always get between $50-60 extra for the week.

On our upcoming journey cruise, we will most likely give him or her $50 at the end of the 1st week and $50 at the end of the cruise.

For all the work they do, the prepaid gratuities are never enough!!

Karen

Thank You all I think I will prepay it and take extra for the special people who go up and beyond. I appreciate the advice.

This is also what we do, its nice to have it already taken care of before we cruise. Many people remove their gratuities not realizing that it not only goes to who they have direct contact with but also the many crew that work behind the scenes making your cruise a fantastic vacation!!

Thank You all I think I will prepay it and take extra for the special people who go up and beyond. I appreciate the advice.

I never prepay, depends on how much i plan on buying onboard or in the ports.

I cruise solo, and so get to use all the obc, and usually have some from stock, booking promos whatever.

usually have some left over to apply to tips, but not always, but i leave it open to use my obc to apply to tips in case i do most of my shopping in the ports.

why would you want to prepay, idk. just not me.

I never pre-pay, I always have an OBC that partially or fully takes care of it. I don't like a bill at the end either but the one thing I like worse is using my own money.

yep, and my parents are older, and big chance i might have to cancel, just makes it more complicated.

I guess i have enough in my checking book, i dont worry about bills. Im with you.

I never prepay, depends on how much i plan on buying onboard or in the ports.

I cruise solo, and so get to use all the obc, and usually have some from stock, booking promos whatever.

usually have some left over to apply to tips, but not always, but i leave it open to use my obc to apply to tips in case i do most of my shopping in the ports.

why would you want to prepay, idk. just not me.

Why? Simple answer. Because we don't have obc or some from stock. We save up for our cruises. We have the money ahead of time so there's no reason to not pay for it when we book and get it out of the way. And if the money sat in the bank for that two months, we might get twenty cents interest on it. Not worth it.

Do you pay the same amount whether it's pre paid or paid at the end?

same amount. The best thing about pre-paid is IF Carnival raises the gratuities rates and you pre-paid, you will be locked in at the old price.

Do you pay the same amount whether it's pre paid or paid at the end?

I think there is a small discount by pre-paying gratuities. We recently booked a 6 day Horizon cruise. Our PVP advised us to pay them before the due date. Normal gratuities are $13.50 per person per day, a total of $81.00. The gratuities are showing up on our invoice at $77.70, a cost of $12.95 per person per day.

Edited by ddloml
typo

I think there is a small discount by pre-paying gratuities. We recently booked a 6 day Horizon cruise. Our PFP advised us to pay them before the due date. Normal gratuities are $13.50 per person per day, a total of $81.00. The gratuities are showing up on our invoice at $77.70, a cost of $12.95 per person per day.

you did not get a discount, by prepaying the gratuities you can lock in at the old price if the price changes. at the time of your booking, gratuities was only $12.95 and that was the price you had to pay. if you did not pre pay and let it charge onboard, then you will pay the higher price

you did not get a discount, by prepaying the gratuities you can lock in at the old price if the price changes. at the time of your booking, gratuities was only $12.95 and that was the price you had to pay. if you did not pre pay and let it charge onboard, then you will pay the higher price

Not quite fair to the stewards and dining room staff when that happens. They get a raise in general but if people prepay tips they do not see the raise for up to 18 months.

They get a raise in general but if people prepay tips they do not see the raise for up to 18 months.

sounds like most land based jobs. i know at my job, any kind of raise requires union approval, promotion to a different title and so on.its a big mess

sounds like most land based jobs. i know at my job, any kind of raise requires union approval, promotion to a different title and so on.its a big mess

Glad I am not a member of a union but if someone gets a raise they ought to see it on next pay check not months or year out.