Mini-Suite upgrade, worth it

Fishkillbill

On the Escape, the cabin size is basically the same size as a regular balcony, however, the bathroom is much larger (double sink, larger shower with jet sprays). The larger bathroom is the reason why we usually book a mini-suite. It depends if this matters to you or not.

Depends on the ship and what category mini-suite specifically.

Yes, you need to know what the differences are for the ship you are on.

On some of the ships a Mini-Suite has a combined bathtub/shower. We personally do not like stepping into the narrow bathtub to shower.

Yes, you need to know what the differences are for the ship you are on.

On some of the ships a Mini-Suite has a combined bathtub/shower. We personally do not like stepping into the narrow bathtub to shower.

On the Sun the Mini's are HUGE

On the Sun the Mini's are HUGE

Good to know:)

It would be great if someone with knowledge of the difference in Minis across the fleet would put that info into one thread. Otherwise, we each have to research for a ship to see if we are interested in it.

It's such a personal decision and so many different factors involved.

Is the larger bathroom worth it? Does it have a bathtub? Is the actual room larger? More storage? Bigger balcony?

Is it worth it to upgrade from balcony to mini-suite ?

IMO-absolutely yes. The NCL cabins are extremely small. Best to consider upgrading. I personally, would only book a haven cabin. But if that doesn't work for your budget, go for a mini suite so you don't trip over the person you are sailing with.

Is it worth it to upgrade from balcony to mini-suite ?

For us on the mega ships it is not worth it. On the Dawn and Jewel class ships I would say no if there are only 2 people in the room, but yes if there are more than 2. Only other consideration for our family is sometimes we do it for the bathtub since we have little kids and that is easier for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a balcony cabin on the Gem. Had a minisuite on the Pearl (same class ship as Gem). Primary difference is the mini-suite has a tub/shower instead of just a shower (didnt love the tub...big step to get in/out) and a bigger couch. Minisuite did seem a little bigger. Really liked both cabins but our first choice would be a balcony on that class ship going forward. Also I beliieve all minisuites on the Gem/Pearl are on floor 11 which is the floor below the great outdoors/pool, etc. so it may be necessary to take location of the cabin into consideration if you want to avoid noise (although we did not experience any noise in our mini suite, I have seen some make mention of such in other posts)

Minisuite did seem a little bigger.

These threads always amaze me. Endless speculation about the sizes of things. There are websites (probably can't name here) that give specific sizes of cabins and balconies. On the Jewel class ships, for example, the cabin itself (balcony vs. mini-suite) is 162 sq ft vs 221 sq ft -- 36% bigger -- and the balcony is 38 sq ft vs 54 sq ft -- 42% bigger. This assumes the "standard" cabin/balcony and there are exceptions.

These threads always amaze me. Endless speculation about the sizes of things. There are websites (probably can't name here) that give specific sizes of cabins and balconies. On the Jewel class ships, for example, the cabin itself (balcony vs. mini-suite) is 162 sq ft vs 221 sq ft -- 36% bigger -- and the balcony is 38 sq ft vs 54 sq ft -- 42% bigger. This assumes the "standard" cabin/balcony and there are exceptions.

Nice of you to provide the specific detail and measurements. However, there was no speculation....even though minisuite may have actually been 36% bigger....to us the minisuite felt just a lttle bigger than a balcony....just our opinion. Just wanted to share our impression of both cabin types in case it would be helpful to the original poster or any others. But glad you found it amazing

I was thinking about the Gem.

On the Gem (and other Jewel class ships), I think the mini-suites have two big negatives. The first is that there is no stall shower; you have a tub/shower combo, and the tub is very narrow (probably okay for little kids, but not for adults imho), and it's a very high step to get over in order to shower. Not fun if you are short, have bad knees, and/or the ship is rolling. Second, the minis are on Deck 11, under the potentially noisy public spaces of Deck 12. So you'd have to be very careful with your location.