What broadway play?

George C

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I didn't know they were doing a show about Diana Ross, I mean Princess Diana.  I hope the 6th one isn't the Michael Jackson musical.  That just seems like a bad idea to me.

We are in NYC over the upcoming holiday weekend and have tickets to nothing and no dinner reservations.  No shows are "calling" to us.  Might actually hit up TKTS for the first time in years, or utilize our underused TDF membership

You can try checking some off off broadway theaters where you can call and get tickets for Saturday matinees.

7 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I didn't know they were doing a show about Diana Ross, I mean Princess Diana.  I hope the 6th one isn't the Michael Jackson musical.  That just seems like a bad idea to me.

We are in NYC over the upcoming holiday weekend and have tickets to nothing and no dinner reservations.  No shows are "calling" to us.  Might actually hit up TKTS for the first time in years, or utilize our underused TDF membership

I like tkts , I see “Come from away” and “ Book of Mormon “ is listed , wouldn’t mind seeing them again. 

3 minutes ago, George C said:

I like tkts , I see “Come from away” and “ Book of Mormon “ is listed , wouldn’t mind seeing them again. 

When are you going, George? Rachel Tucker takes over Beverly Bass in March. She was amazing in London. 

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

You can try checking some off off broadway theaters where you can call and get tickets for Saturday matinees.

we have looked at everything out there

10 minutes ago, George C said:

seen them both with original casts, but CFA could happen again 

Just now, markeb said:

When are you going, George? Rachel Tucker takes over Beverly Bass in March. She was amazing in London. 

We are there in May for 5 nights flying home on Memorial Day which we normally do. We most likely prebuy tickets for one show and do tkts for all the others will see 4 or 5 shows . Curious how “ girl from the north country “ will be since I love Dylan’s music.

I saw Come From Away last year...…..WOW!!!!!

Lenny, I am thinking about coming up in March for my birthday for 3 or 4 nights....and will see 3 or 4 shows...…...

Last time I was there I saw Come From Away and BEAUTIFUL...….

I have to decide about this "long weekend trip"....maybe Tina and The Temptations LOL...….To Kill a Mocking Bird

and West Side Story...….those would be great birthday gifts from me to me:classic_smile:

On 1/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, Lois R said:

I saw Come From Away last year...…..WOW!!!!!

Lenny, I am thinking about coming up in March for my birthday for 3 or 4 nights....and will see 3 or 4 shows...…...

Last time I was there I saw Come From Away and BEAUTIFUL...….

I have to decide about this "long weekend trip"....maybe Tina and The Temptations LOL...….To Kill a Mocking Bird

and West Side Story...….those would be great birthday gifts from me to me:classic_smile:

Lois R:

I am seeing Tina and West Side Story this spring.I saw the Temptations and To Kill A Mockingbird.I recommend both.

• Like 1

Is anyone planning to see American Buffalo ? It is opening in March and will play for 16 weeks starring Laurence Fishburne,Sam Rockwell and Darin Criss.

In my opinion this is one of the best plays ever written.

Great cast , Sam Rockwell has had some great roles recently, will have consider that for May visit .

I expect we will see it as well.  Huge Sam Rockwell fans ever since he was in McDonagh's worst play, A Behanding in Spokane.  We saw him at the Williamstown Theater Festival (*****) a few years ago in Fool For Love and then saw it again on Broadway and got to talk with him after the show for awhile.

Edti:  Ha!  The *** in parenthesis was me abbreviating the Theater Festival as they do in all of their branding.  A W followed by a T followed by an F

Edited by Nitemare
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Lois R:

I am seeing Tina and West Side Story this spring.I saw the Temptations and To Kill A Mockingbird.I recommend both.

Hi Lenny, I remember when I was in NYC last year and thought if/when I come back I would want to stay at the

Marriott---it is close to all the theaters:classic_biggrin:.....I could walk to all of them LOL

I haven't really been following the thread to see if it's been suggested but I see SIX is now on Broadway in NY.  I saw the show on the NCL Bliss and thought it was really fun.  I'm contemplating seeing it in NY at some point.

50 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I hope you like West Side Story. One of my friends just saw it and really disliked it. 😮

WOW....what was it they disliked? It is one of my all time favorite shows ever.....it is a classic.

So the actors? What?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

WOW....what was it they disliked? It is one of my all time favorite shows ever.....it is a classic.

So the actors? What?

It's definitely a classic, one of the best shows ever.  I think the issue is that they have sort of "modernized" it, and it's not a classic production.  (They are not using Jerome Robbins's choreography, for one thing.)   One example my friend gave was that there are videos playing behind the actors, which she found incredibly distracting.  ("I Feel Pretty" has been removed, as has the "Somewhere" ballet.) 

You might want to read up on it before deciding whether this is a production you'll like.  I'm not saying you won't, I haven't seen it.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Lenny, I remember when I was in NYC last year and thought if/when I come back I would want to stay at the

Marriott---it is close to all the theaters:classic_biggrin:.....I could walk to all of them LOL

There is a theater in the Marriott as well .Yes ,I think that is a good idea plus it close to all the restaurants that have been discussed on CC.

46 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It's definitely a classic, one of the best shows ever.  I think the issue is that they have sort of "modernized" it, and it's not a classic production.  (They are not using Jerome Robbins's choreography, for one thing.)   One example my friend gave was that there are videos playing behind the actors, which she found incredibly distracting.  ("I Feel Pretty" has been removed, as has the "Somewhere" ballet.) 

You might want to read up on it before deciding whether this is a production you'll like.  I'm not saying you won't, I haven't seen it.

Spielbergs West Side Story movie coming out in December 2020 will be the authentic West Side Story.

11 hours ago, George C said:

Great cast , Sam Rockwell has had some great roles recently, will have consider that for May visit .

When you lived in Brooklyn did you ever go to the Rugby theater ?The owner had a daughter who was in the original production of West Side Story and he had signs all over the outside of the theater.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

OMG...seriously? A video? And "Somewhere" is one the best songs in the show!  Maybe I will pass on it..glad you 

posted this!

• Like 1

Spielbergs West Side Story movie coming out in December 2020 will be the authentic West Side Story.

I will watch this for sure:classic_biggrin: I am quite sure this movie will pay homage to the original...…..

15 minutes ago, Lois R said:

OMG...seriously? A video? And "Somewhere" is one the best songs in the show!  Maybe I will pass on it..glad you 

posted this!

The “Somewhere” ballet has been cut out, it’s not clear if the song itself has been. Also, no intermission.  This article has a good bit of info. 

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/broadway-revival-west-side-story-i-feel-pretty_90172.html