HONEYMOON - Crown Princess vs Celebrity Silhouette - Which would you pick?

Hi everyone. I am a long time cruiser but looking to do something different for my honeymoon. I have never sailed Princess or Celebrity but have on their sister lines Carnival and RCI. I have been trying to read up on both, but I am overwhelmed.

I cruise for 1)ports 2)food and usually in an upper deck Interior. We usually hang out wherever there is live music on the ship. Not much for shows as we are usually exhausted after long days in port.

I have the following options available.

Crown Princess - 10 night to Princess Cay, St Thomas, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados & St Kitts

Celebrity Silhouette - 12 night to St Thomas, St Maarten, St Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, Dominica & St Kitts

Which would you pick?

Hi everyone. I am a long time cruiser but looking to do something different for my honeymoon. I have never sailed Princess or Celebrity but have on their sister lines Carnival and RCI. I have been trying to read up on both, but I am overwhelmed.

I cruise for 1)ports 2)food and usually in an upper deck Interior. We usually hang out wherever there is live music on the ship. Not much for shows as we are usually exhausted after long days in port.

I have the following options available.

Crown Princess - 10 night to Princess Cay, St Thomas, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados & St Kitts

Celebrity Silhouette - 12 night to St Thomas, St Maarten, St Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, Dominica & St Kitts

Which would you pick?

We’ve been on several Princess cruises, currently booked on the Crown for Oct, have sailed the sister ship, Emerald on the 10 day Caribbean. Also, we’ve been on the Celebrity equinox several times, Sister ship to the Silhouette. I would choose the Silhouette, if I were you. Celebrity has such a nice atmosphere, an enclosed pool, which is nice, doesn’t feel as crowded as the Crown. I love both lines, but the crowds are much more apparent on the Crown/Emerald vs the Equinox/Silhouette. I personally prefer the atmosphere of Celebrity. They usually have packages now where you can get two perks, ie, prepaid gratuities, $300 onboard credits and or drink packages, also.

What I didn’t like about the Emerald/Crown was the poorly laid out buffet. On Celebrity it is a better layout.

Both lines’ food is about the same, unless you go Aqua class on X and Blu would be your assigned restaurant. I would choose Aqua on Celebrity every time over Princess if I could! [emoji2]

Oh, one other thing, the entertainment overall is better and more plentiful on Princess, but the showroom on that ship will be too crowded compared to the one on the Silhouette.

Basically, both cruise lines have good party bands.

I prefer the atrium on Princess and the activities going onto the central area on Celebrity, which is nothing to write home about.

Best spot on the ship is the Martini bar. Good martinis and they play Euro Techno type music, unlike at Crooner’s on Princess, where you have a piano bar.

Truthfully, we feel the vibe on X is trending younger. It used to be much older than the vibe on Princess.

Edited by 4cats4me

Since you mention that port selection is your first priority: when are you planning this cruise for? Both St Maarten and Dominica are still only bombed-out shells of their former selves since last summer's three major hurricanes. In fact Princess has yet to resume calling at Dominica though there are future cruises with it penciled in. Does that Celebrity itinerary include an overnight at any of the ports? Again if it does at St Maarten or even St Thomas there may be little to see after dark with all the infrastructure damage.

While 12 days is always better than 10, a Caribbean cruise with a private island call (Princess Cays) trumps one without in my book.

I keep reading that Celebrity has a younger crowd. It could have been just the dates we've cruised the two lines, but we've always found more young people on Princess, although both do tend to attract an "older" demographic.

As noted, many of the Caribbean islands are not really "up and running" yet, even though cruise ships may be docking or tendering there.

We know very little about you, but my gut is to look carefully at both of these cruises. If ports are your primary focus, you need to be very careful about Caribbean ports and how functional they are. Princess food seems to have improved a lot in the last year or so...or maybe I just was on the right ship at the right time. Another hint--if you are on Princess, check out an area toward the back of the buffet called "Planks" and "Steamers." This area has an upcharge at night, but had nice lunch offerings with no upcharge. I never tried breakfast there, but reports are that they have good breakfast choices as well.

Since you mention that port selection is your first priority: when are you planning this cruise for? Both St Maarten and Dominica are still only bombed-out shells of their former selves since last summer's three major hurricanes. In fact Princess has yet to resume calling at Dominica though there are future cruises with it penciled in. Does that Celebrity itinerary include an overnight at any of the ports? Again if it does at St Maarten or even St Thomas there may be little to see after dark with all the infrastructure damage.

While 12 days is always better than 10, a Caribbean cruise with a private island call (Princess Cays) trumps one without in my book.

December 2018 is our cruise dates. We will both be 43 at sailing.

Another hint--if you are on Princess' date=' check out an area toward the back of the buffet called "Planks" and "Steamers." This area has an upcharge at night, but had nice lunch offerings with no upcharge. I never tried breakfast there, but reports are that they have good breakfast choices as well.[/quote']

Those are not on Crown Princess. Actually only on one ship, Caribbean Princess.

Though I must add that I strongly agree that Princess has better evening entertainment and more of a late-night crowd even if the faces may appear younger on Celebrity. On my one Celebrity cruise (on Infinity, so a very different class of ship than the one being considered) after emerging from late dinner each evening there were so few others about I felt like I was on the Mary Celeste.

Best spot on the ship is the Martini bar. Good martinis and they play Euro Techno type music, unlike at Crooner’s on Princess, where you have a piano bar.

Truthfully, we feel the vibe on X is trending younger. It used to be much older than the vibe on Princess.

Nope. You just totally lost me with the Euro Techno type music. I would prefer no music at all to that choice.

I'd vote for the Silo - but then again, I've done 3 voyages on her, so I'm a bit biased. I love the ship and the friendly crew. Entertainment is the weak spot - their guest entertainers are good. But I don't care for their inhouse productions at all.

We just returned from St Thomas and St. Martin. I don't really agree with the "bombed out shell" assessment, but a lot depends upon what you want to do. The French side of St. Martin is gone - very bad. The Dutch side is working hard to get back on its feet, doing pretty darn good and is definitely welcoming tourists. We did a horseback excursion and some shopping in St Martin and had a GREAT time.

Nope. You just totally lost me with the Euro Techno type music. I would prefer no music at all to that choice.

Gotta agree with you on that one and I'm on the younger side. HATE techno. I'd definitely prefer a classic piano bar. :cool:

To start if you like ports I would go for the longer one as for the ship selection for my hands down with the Silo.

That class of ship are amongst my favorite of all cruise line. It is true that Celebrity has been changing the vibe on there fleet as I also thought during night time it was more like a Miami vibe.

Food wise I think both are pretty much the same except the buffet area on the Silo is much nicer than on the Crown. The main theater show and overall entertainment is a bit better on Princess.

The bars are more trendy on Silo than the more Nautical ones on Princess.

The adult pool area on the Silo is just so so perfect as Princess you have to pay to get that.

I do prefer the free option on Princess at the International Cafe.

Desserts my opinion are the best on Princess especially the Norman Love ones.

It would of been a total a diffrent opinion on my part if it would of been on the Regal or Royal but for me like I mentioned above definitely the Silo over the Crown.

Sea ya

Eric

December 2018 is our cruise dates. We will both be 43 at sailing.

Well, i need to amend my post from above then. We sailed around October 4 last year and had a party crowd on Celebrity, as we had when sailing in April (non spring break 10 day cruises) the other times on Celebrity and it’s always been lively.

Only one Princess out of the last four from Ft Laud has been “lively.” The last one was moderately entertaining, but still kind of boring.

If you are sailing in early to mid December, the crowd will be very, very mature. We’ve gone at that time of the year as well and everyone had gone to bed by 9, it seemed, NOBODY at the deck party,

BUT the entertainment and live orchestra is better on Princess.

As long as you don’t care to be a party animal, then both should be fine. I still prefer Celebrity over Princess. Also, the cabins are nicer on the Silhouette Solstice class ships. Bathroom is much roomier than on Princess. Princess has better closet space though.

Regarding St Martin, I just got back from there and yes,there is work to be done, but we went all over the island and it didn’t look much different than the last time we went there. They are busy rebuilding and need visitors! The tourist areas are up and running, and they are so appreciative that anybody is coming at all.

St Thomas near the port area looks fine, but there is still a lot of work to be done elsewhere.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Tough choice!

We sailed last year back to back on

Silhouette and Royal Princess (a bit worse design, but better buffet) and I’d break my head choosing between them.

I’d probably pick 12 dayer though... 2 more days.

Love ambiance of both... Princess offers more dancing in Piazza, fun to watch.

Silhouette has all cushioned loungers by both pools.

You won’t go wrong with either!

Have you been on a Solstice class ship yet? They’re beautiful.

Now that I think about it, most of the time I can’t hear my favorite Euro trendy music since the bar is packed and everyone is so loud it drowns out the music!

On our last cruise on the Royal the crowd at Crooner’s was comprised of the Perry Grant followers, and music which spanned from the year 1866-1942[emoji79][emoji79]🤣 but Perry was a lot of fun! I kind of enjoyed those archaic songs, but not as much as the nice, soothing techno. [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji6]

Gotta agree with you on that one and I'm on the younger side. HATE techno. I'd definitely prefer a classic piano bar. :cool:

Boo! Hiss! KEEP TECHNO ALIVE! [emoji81]

I’d do the Crown because we were not wowed by Celebrity at all, but we love Princess. The food is significantly better to us on Princess, which really surprised me given Celebrity’s notoriety with food. Both itineraries and ships are great, so to me it would come down to the food and the service. We had decent service on Celebrity, but Princess consistently has wonderful service in our experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a Princess cruise as well as a Celebrity cruise lined up (and RCI for that matter). I really enjoy both lines or wouldn't book them But for a HONEYMOON? Silhouette hands down.

I've cruised both of them going back to the early 90's and while I used to think Celebrity was shut up for bed by 10PM, it's now seeming to appeal to a younger more lively demographic. So there isn't the same "rolling up the sidewalks at dark" feel. In fact in my 60's sometimes I feel as if I'm ready to look elsewhere for something more laid back and sedate. Most times, though, I am very happy with Celebrity.

But also let me say, not actually KNOWING you, I think you can't go wrong w/ either. But I vote for the Silhouette for honeymooners.

PS: I just caught your ages. IMHO you're EXACTLY who Celebrity is targeting.

I have a Princess cruise as well as a Celebrity cruise lined up (and RCI for that matter). I really enjoy both lines or wouldn't book them But for a HONEYMOON? Silhouette hands down.

I've cruised both of them going back to the early 90's and while I used to think Celebrity was shut up for bed by 10PM, it's now seeming to appeal to a younger more lively demographic. So there isn't the same "rolling up the sidewalks at dark" feel. In fact in my 60's sometimes I feel as if I'm ready to look elsewhere for something more laid back and sedate. Most times, though, I am very happy with Celebrity.

But also let me say, not actually KNOWING you, I think you can't go wrong w/ either. But I vote for the Silhouette for honeymooners.

PS: I just caught your ages. IMHO you're EXACTLY who Celebrity is targeting.

Your so right Celebrity seems to want to target the X generation it seems then funny part X generation for X Celebrity lol lol.

We are booked on the 7th Dec 2018 Crown sailing, is that the one you're looking at? We're both 32 so going by the comments we might be the youngest on the ship lol! Byt we don't mind, we aren't party animals.

You won’t be the youngest but for sure won’t be the majority. At your age it would of been the same on Celebrity.

As for your cruise on the Crown I’m sure you will like it as Princess is an overall good product for pretty much any demographic.

Sea ya

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you're open to flying to San Juan, I'd suggest considering Celebrity Summit. Do a day or two on both sides down in SJU and sail r/t out of San Juan and maximize your number of ports. I have a hard time getting excited for anything >2 sea days, but that's just me. P.S. X Summit 1/6/2019 has some screaming deals on concierge class and down, I think Summit has fewer Aq class rooms than the larger Solstice class as Summit is the older generation ship (Millennium class). Weather in Dec & Jan can be on the cooler side in both FL and Bahamas. We did a NYE in Nassau and the water was pretty cold for swimming.

W.r.t. Puerto Rico, Hilton Caribe is a nice resort right in San Juan, or El Conquistador resort on the East end of the island is beautiful if you're open to the 1.5hr transfer to get there. Wyndham Grand Rio Mar is also nice, more beach space than Hilton but closer to SJU than El Con (I think Wyndham is also a little less fancy than EC though too).

Between Crown and Silhouette, I'd probably pick Sil. Especially specific to the itineraries you mention. More solidly Caribbean ports is always a win imho, and if price is similar 2 extra vacation days is a pro too. I've been on both ships fairly recently and thought X felt more "premium". I preferred the entertainment shows on X, crowd will likely skew a little younger. One caution though, X has moved to more "tiers" where friends in an interior joked it did feel a little like steerage, especially with X's push to offer shorter lines and special amenities for Concierge, Aqua, and Suite guests. I loved Aqua class as the dining in Blu was great. I think MDR vs. MDR food was a hair better on Princess, buffet I think I preferred X by a bit; food and service has been consistently solid on both lines. DW and I choose based on price and itinerary and are open to sailing either line.

Added in edit: I also find the private cruise line islands in the Bahamas to be sort of meh. Better than a sea day, but not as much value as normal port days, especially if one has to tender in.

Edited by jb008

We are booked on the 7th Dec 2018 Crown sailing, is that the one you're looking at? We're both 32 so going by the comments we might be the youngest on the ship lol! Byt we don't mind, we aren't party animals.

Yes that is the same cruise! I did book it! Would love to meet up :-)

Silhouette is our favourite S class ship (and we’ve sailed them all at least once); sorry, can’t comment on the Crown. The Lawn Club Grill is worth visiting and Silhouette is much less crowded then Reflection. Personally, Aqua Class isn’t worth it just for Blu (seats are far too close together and most of the cabins are in the least desirable locations - under the huge overhang). You’re better booking a 1A and purchasing specialty restaurant dining with the money you save.