Laundry facilities

1Stormy

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I have only sent out a couple of items to the laundry & they came back on hangers or folded & wrapped in tissue paper

The irons have the spray steam feature & I used one of the bottles of water  in the fridge to fill the iron on the O class ship  the R ships have a sink in the room  to use

Good idea.  Thanks for that idea.

In the days when Howard was still employed most of my ironing was his shirts -- even the permanent press ones, which most of his were.  But now that we are both retired, our clothing rarely needs ironing.  And we pretty much dress casually the vast majority of the time.

My mother, on the other hand, ironed her sheets ... when we were young she had a mangle, which made that a lot easier.  Later on she just ironed them the usual way ... I think you can gather that I never did!

Mura

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mura said:

And we pretty much dress casually the vast majority of the time.

If things come back from the laundry in good enough shape I won't iron for sure.

When I met Bob, who worked at Levi Strauss, they were still in business attire.  He was sending his shirts out and I showed him how to iron.  It was so painful to watch that I told him to continue to send them out :0

Growing up Mother had me ironing pillow cases and Daddy's handkerchiefs and boxer shorts!

The ship did my laundry for 6 months (it was a perk for the world cruise) and it was great!

All clothing came back on hangers, covered in light plastic, whereas undies, bras and socks came folded and wrapped in tissue paper. Although you send it all in a laundry bag, only the bundle of tissue paper folded things came back in a laundry bag...not the things on hangers.

I had no issues at all with the laundry except that they lost one bra...but they gave me onboard credit so I could buy a new one. It's a great service, but I think it's overpriced to use on a regular basis if you have to pay. I just wish there were more self-serve launderettes... 4 washers and 4 dryers aren't enough for the whole ship.

13 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I just wish there were more self-serve launderettes... 4 washers and 4 dryers aren't enough for the whole ship.

Yes too bad on the R ships  they could not find a space for at least 1 more laundry room

24 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

The ship did my laundry for 6 months (it was a perk for the world cruise) and it was great!

I really appreciate your giving this kind of detailed info.  We get three bags and it's a 12 day cruise so it will be fine.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there are also laundry rooms on Decks 10 and 11.  NOT on Deck 12.  I'm pretty sure that they are all the same configuration, although I myself have only used those on Decks 10 and 11.

This is one advantage the larger "O" ships have ... the "R" ships only have ONE laundry room which can cause congestion if you aren't careful about the times you want to do your laundry.

Mura

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

I'm rather height challenged....is there a stool so that I can get my things out of the dryers?

Me too.  On the Nautica they had something to stand on. 

9 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

I'm rather height challenged....is there a stool so that I can get my things out of the dryers?

on Regatta  a couple of years ago they had like a platform  in front of the  units

nothing on the O class ships AFAIK 

On 9/4/2019 at 7:25 PM, LHT28 said:

There are 3 sets in each laundry room AFAIK

I have only used the ones on decks 7,8 & 9image.thumb.png.637bd8ae88a25f419434e230c6657d14.png

Thanks for the photo! Same set up at our condo on Maui! They seem to give you a lot more than on HAL! They are eliminating

the self serve laundry on all HAL ships.

will be having the the laundry perk (3) bags 

on both cruises but this is a nice feature that O provides! I will be enjoying the switch to O !!!

Denise😊

On 9/4/2019 at 8:52 PM, Mura said:

I believe there are also laundry rooms on Decks 10 and 11.  NOT on Deck 12.  I'm pretty sure that they are all the same configuration, although I myself have only used those on Decks 10 and 11.

This is one advantage the larger "O" ships have ... the "R" ships only have ONE laundry room which can cause congestion if you aren't careful about the times you want to do your laundry.

Mura

Hi Mura

I have found that I am very dependent on your posts. Always helpful, never snarky. We will be on Insignia in November and will be using the laundry room. Can you give a hint as to what the the best times to use the laundry might be?  DH loves to do laundry, and usually does it during dinner. Would this be practical on Insignia? Is this the best time? We are first time O cruises,  but many cruises in the past.

Thanks for any advice

ML 

9 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Hi Mura

I have found that I am very dependent on your posts. Always helpful, never snarky. We will be on Insignia in November and will be using the laundry room. Can you give a hint as to what the the best times to use the laundry might be?  DH loves to do laundry, and usually does it during dinner. Would this be practical on Insignia? Is this the best time? We are first time O cruises,  but many cruises in the past.

Thanks for any advice

ML 

Thanks so much for the kind comments!  Normally I would be reluctant to answer your question HERE but since what I'm going to say has already been said here on various threads AND since relatively few passengers know about CC this is what we have found:

Sea days are obviously not a good time.   We have found that starting the laundry around cocktail time works well.  We are finished by the time we go into dinner (which is usually around 7:30 or 8:00).  Also, should you be on board on port days that's another good time since most passengers will be off the ship.  I suppose early in the morning (I forget the opening hours but I'm guessing around 8 or 9am) could also be good.

Also, if you don't stay in the laundry room while the work is being done (which is true of us) keep good track of the time so that you return a few minutes before the wash or dry is finished.  It seems obvious but too many people neglect this part.

Good luck!

Mura

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mura said:

Sea days are obviously not a good time.   We have found that starting the laundry around cocktail time works well.  We are finished by the time we go into dinner (which is usually around 7:30 or 8:00).  Also, should you be on board on port days that's another good time since most passengers will be off the ship.  I suppose early in the morning (I forget the opening hours but I'm guessing around 8 or 9am) could also be good.

Good luck!

Mura

Thank you for this, so helpful as always 🙂 It sounds like our normal method of doing laundry will work fine.