From the cow kings to an Empress, Norton goes on a little Sojourn

Henry, I think you are being a bit too forgiving here. Obviously the cruise had to go ahead, and no doubt no one knew at first how much disruption there might be, but in view of how it was and is, to me $500 is nothing like enough to compensate people on board. |If I were a passenger, |I would expect to receive a substantial cashback or a large percentage off a future cruise. Another example of poor thinking at the top - this will be enough to put some off cruising Seabourn again, or even trying it for the first time if they read CC.

Maybe, but this isn't a Caribbean cruise. Although open it seems the weather was too cold for the patio Grill and no one is going to be lounging by the pool.

Deck 5 aft would probably be a better option all round.

Henry :)

There was a fight in the Observation bar one night. Apparently one man hit his wife and another intervened. Security was called to defuse. Same night saw another fight in the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many ironic joke possibilities here (Gatsby hunger games indeed!)...

...except nothing at all funny about a man hitting his wife. I hope Security did more than defuse.

Maybe, but this isn't a Caribbean cruise. Although open it seems the weather was too cold for the patio Grill and no one is going to be lounging by the pool.

Deck 5 aft would probably be a better option all round.

Henry :)

What do you mean about the weather being too cold for the patio grill?

We made plenty of use of the patio grill and the area around it on our Antarctica voyage :)

I think the outdoor areas on deck 5 are a bit on the smalll side for the numbers on board who might wish to be out of doors. I agree that this was the best cruise to have deck work done, as the weather is less likely to be great, but nevertheless stand by what I said about sufficient compensation to be offered to those on board for the loss of a fair amount of amenities for so many days.

What do you mean about the weather being too cold for the patio grill?

We made plenty of use of the patio grill and the area around it on our Antarctica voyage :)

I agree, we were on the first cruise of the second season, my DW (who hates the cold normally) insisted on eating at the Patio Grill every lunchtime, (along with a lot of other pax) The champers definitely didn't warm up:)

Oh, and I swam every morning;)

Most people seem satisfied with the compensation offered and understand that this was the best time to do the work. It’s a shame that we were’nt given more accurate information about how much disruption it was likely to cause. The workmen are continuing their task in a less intrusive way although today (Sat) the high winds and rough seas kept most pax inside anyway even though the Patio Grill/Bar had reopened. Cold pizza anyone?

The flasks of hot chicken bouillon are quite delicious and very restorative.

Edited by RustyRollock

Wow... this thread now had enough shade being thrown to make up for the closure of part of the pool deck.

To answer SLSD’s question, while the Seabourn crowd is typically one where decorum overrules drunkenness, I have witnessed a couple of verbal altercations on past sailings. On one Caribbean cruise, security did get involved when one passenger became convinced that another had purposely bumped the back of her chair in the MDR. We were sitting a couple of tables away and it was one of the most bizarre things I’ve witnessed on a Seabourn ship and I think heavy alcohol consumption was to blame for both parties.

On our last sailing, we were relieved to know that despite the alarmist letter, nothing was really changed about the Galley Market Lunch except for every station now being in the galley and much more enthusiastic hand washing. My cheese fondue was still as it was so all was well in my world!

I've never understood why a galley lunch would be more problematical (health wise) than an everyday buffet lunch.

Well, for starters, there aren't glass or perspex shields over the food, so everyone breathes all over it (apart from the coughing and sneezing danger)

Then there are those "entitled" people who think that the tongs are for everyone else:o Every cruise I see people pick food up in their fingers, then put that same food back and choose something else.

At Sojourn's Galley Lunch in March, I watched a woman do this, then lick her fingers:mad:

OK.. I never imagined that people would not use tongs or get so close are to breathe on the food. Hmmm..

I have seen much worse in the Colonnade: people (adults, not kids) picking up food with their bare hands and then changing their mind and putting them back; using the wrong tongs, thereby cross-contaminating foods (e.g. meat item with vegetarian item); finishing their business in the restroom (a man, in this case) and then going into the buffet without washing their hands in the restroom or sanitizing their hands at the restaurant entrance...

I wish the buffet food is not self-served but served by the staff instead.

I am not a fan of the buffet. Generally, we like to partake of the few items that can be ordered at lunch (grilled salmon, sometimes a hamburger), but usually do choose a salad from the buffet to go with it. If there was service in the MDR at lunch, we would choose it. I can't recall any day that lunch was served in the MDR on our last cruise--not even on the sea days.

Cheap fares and included booze can be a catalyst for unruly behaviour.

It is very seldom seen on Seabourn

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

Even when cheap fares are not around bad behavior can rise up. To wit the strange case on the recently completed Viking Sun World Cruise. Now there is a well equipped (4 washer, 4 dryer, ironing board, tv and couch) launderette on each passenger cabin deck. Somehow two old men decided it was a great place for fisticuffs. Now I don't know about you but not much is more funny (in a ridiculous sort of way) than two old men trying to fight.:eek: Who knows what started such an altercation, perhaps one's Calvin Kleins were trod on, but the end result was our Captain putting them (and travel partners) unceremoniously ashore. Bravo Captain. :cool: