From the cow kings to an Empress, Norton goes on a little Sojourn

Last year the ship went to Glacier Bay on the re-positioning cruise. Hard to get permits as they are strictly limited.

Looks like Sojourn was scheduled to be there May 29. Perhaps the weather delay pre empted that.

http://crew-center.com/glacier-bay-alaska-cruise-ship-schedule-2018

It’s not hard it’s money. This cruise was originally supposed to stop in GB. Seabourn decided like giving us a decent ship, and crew it wasn’t worth the money to them.

That isn’t to say there isn’t some kind excellent crew. There are. They’re just dragged down by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you eaten in the Grill this voyage? My understanding is that we can get reservations once during a voyage 7 or 50 days. Once was enough for us though the food was good. Everyone we spoke to about last night in the Collonade says it was the best. The salad with apple and candied walnuts was wonderful. The mashed potatoes were to die for and the broccoli I was cooked just right. We like our steak medium rare so that was also cooked perfectly. Didn’t care for the chocolate pie as it was too sweet for me. How did the epicurean event go?

I was howled down by the cheerleaders when I dared to suggest that standards were slipping but this cruise has done nothing to change my mind. Service in all the restaurants has been inconsistent at best and I’m fed up with asking for my wine glass to be refilled. Nobody notices it’s empty. Lots of little things are happening that never used to happen and different departments are not communicating with each other.

You aren’t painting a very enticing picture for our first cruise with Seabourn next week. I was hoping for a step up in service and it sounds like a step down. [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you eaten in the Grill this voyage? My understanding is that we can get reservations once during a voyage 7 or 50 days. Once was enough for us though the food was good. Everyone we spoke to about last night in the Collonade says it was the best. The salad with apple and candied walnuts was wonderful. The mashed potatoes were to die for and the broccoli I was cooked just right. We like our steak medium rare so that was also cooked perfectly. Didn’t care for the chocolate pie as it was too sweet for me. How did the epicurean event go?

I have and I miss Michael. The Colonnade/TK was IME best under Michael but he left in Kodiak. Epicurean has yet to happen. In the grill the Caesar, and crab cake were excellent. Veal has a 16/16 fail rating from what I’ve heard. The chicken, beef, sole and scampi have been excellent (yes I borrow from others plates). The Mac n cheese is batting 50/50. Service however in the grill has been perfect for me.

You aren’t painting a very enticing picture for our first cruise with Seabourn next week. I was hoping for a step up in service and it sounds like a step down. [emoji22]

The TK venues this cruise received praise from pax on since HK AFTER Chef Michael joined in Kobe. He left in Kodiak and at least the AdHoc/Colonnade menu took a hit the other day as I had both.

The Charlie Brown tree has been righted. It’s on its way to becoming a proper Christmas tree. [emoji319]

I'm glad to hear that. The photo you posted was quite sad, on several levels.

I’d love to see it decked out but I don’t know anyone with that much free space in their luggage.

I'm sure the galley has spare aluminum foil if you'd like to craft some tinsel and a star topper. ;p

As was mentioned the palms on deck have made way for pines.

8c586de0e37b2824f23cc4510b699669.jpg8235b489dcf9d60a3211f7896df920e2.jpg

Including this Charlie Brown looking thing. Maybe Linus will bring it a blanket.

b55ff2640486bedd021b2dde2649a291.jpg

And where was the HD in this process? Why would the HD allow these sad specimens to even appear on deck for guests to see. I would not even plant them at home. This is not the polished image that Seabourn should be portraying for its guests! Let’s step it up a notch!

I'm sure the galley has spare aluminum foil if you'd like to craft some tinsel and a star topper. ;p

Hehe. I’m still waiting for them to find cheddar cheese and that was a few hours ago. Maybe an ornament making contest though...

And where was the HD in this process? Why would the HD allow these sad specimens to even appear on deck for guests to see. I would not even plant them at home. This is not the polished image that Seabourn should be portraying for its guests! Let’s step it up a notch!

Got me. I have yet to meet/see the guy.

I am sure they will replace the Charlie Brown tree. The others are good specimens and should remain. So much better than having Palm Trees while sailing Alaska. Didn’t know we could also have Crepe Suzette at tea as we have not attended the teas. Seabourn has done well on this cruise considering it is a very inexpensive repositioning Cruise. On repositioning cruises we always expect some maintenance and adjustments in the itinerary and this happened. Food and entertainment is better than on the Quest last year. We will book again on Seabourn.

I am sure they will replace the Charlie Brown tree. The others are good specimens and should remain. So much better than having Palm Trees while sailing Alaska. Didn’t know we could also have Crepe Suzette at tea as we have not attended the teas. Seabourn has done well on this cruise considering it is a very inexpensive repositioning Cruise. On repositioning cruises we always expect some maintenance and adjustments in the itinerary and this happened. Food and entertainment is better than on the Quest last year. We will book again on Seabourn.

Sorry, but throwing some low grade fir/spruce trees into a pot, that look like they were dug up from the side of a road is not what I would expect from Seabourn. As an alternative, there are many lovely varieties of ferns for example, that would look much better and be suitable to the Alaskan environment.

Maybe I am losing my marbles, but I do not remember ever on any ship seeing tubs with large plants in on the pool deck? The pathetic Christmas trees do look pretty awful, IMO. Perhaps they are destined for some other area on board - anyone know?

I think the ship is in Victoria today, so hope it will be a good day to end this rather strange cruise on. Was it actually a cheap one, as someone has said?

It would be quite a damning fact if it was true that Seabourn differs their product, service and concern based on whether a voyage was considered an expensive full price voyage or a less expensive repositioning cruise. Since it is not known if this is a fact, I guess the only thing is to read the reviews and hope that they are balanced.

Maybe I am losing my marbles, but I do not remember ever on any ship seeing tubs with large plants in on the pool deck? The pathetic Christmas trees do look pretty awful, IMO. Perhaps they are destined for some other area on board - anyone know?

I think the ship is in Victoria today, so hope it will be a good day to end this rather strange cruise on. Was it actually a cheap one, as someone has said?

lincslady, they put the plants in tubs on the deck in an attempt to 'beautify' the damaged areas on Sojourn's pool deck. Initially it was palm trees when the ship was in the tropics. Now these little fir trees for Alaska.

I have it on impeccable authority that the 10 or so potted palms (RIP) were purchased in Darwin for $3000+ ... Each!

:o

So they reduced the budget for the fir trees! :D

I feel bad shaming the fir/pine trees. ;)