Does anyone else think the "FunShops" are terrible???

First off I love cruising and I love Carnival (and RCI). I love LOVE to shop. I shop for new clothes, new shoes, makeup, nail polish, jewelry, hair products, etc. before I cruise (and in port). You name it, I shop for it. I believe that the majority of women in my age range (mid 30's) like to as well. And I don't mean brand snob shopping for bags or mega expensive stuff. However, the Fun Shops I feel have always been really sorry excuses for shopping. They have weird T-shirts, odd jewelry chains on wheels, tons of perfume, rubber flip flops, and cheap jewelry that falls apart or turns green quickly. I feel like Carnival is REALLY missing out on a market of people (like me) who are looking to spend money on vacation....am I the only one? :confused:

YES! I spent so much money in the fun shops on my first few cruises. They had an interesting variety of stuff. My wife bought a clutch, we bought cufflinks and sunglasses and fun stuff. We forgot all of my son's shirts once...and were able to buy a few nice shirts for dinner. Then...I brought extra money to shop on board and found nothing! Maybe around 2010 or 2011. My last 7 day cruise i spent $4 on a toothbrush. Even the selection of alcohol is limited. Now we just use the fun shops to kill time before dinner.

I have been cruising with Carnival since 1993 and I still remember all the nice merchandise I could buy in the gift shops early on. As the years have gone by, the logo items have been getting fewer and fewer. You used to be able to buy 'ship specific' t-shirts - and there would be at least eight or ten choices for both men and women. They sold jackets and beach cover-ups with the 'Carnival' logo on them. There used to be playing cards, several styles of pens, magnets, ashtrays, postcards, beer steins, coffee cups, Christmas ornaments, and on and on and on - all with the 'Carnival' name on them. At least I am still able to buy the cruise ship models, but they are not of the same quality they were years ago. I'm sure my husband is happy I can't buy as much as I did years ago, but I am disappointed with the 'Fun Shops' now. I hope things will improve soon.

I once wanted to contact them about a purchase and found out the shops are run by a 3rd party, though I forget their name now.

Its not Carnival guaranteeing anything, its a separaate company.

Ever notice RCL carries almost identical stuff in their shops? same company runs the shops on most cruise ships.

I haven't been in them as we are taking our first Carnival Cruise next year but from the photos they look meh. The appear outdated. We have 3 sea days so I am researching things to do; shopping won't be one of them.

Ever notice RCL carries almost identical stuff in their shops? same company runs the shops on most cruise ships.

I was going to say, on our one and only RCI cruise last summer, I felt they were pretty much the same as Carnival's shops. They seem to try to give a little bit of variety of things, hoping to appease to as many as they can, but it doesn't matter to me. If I found something I liked, I'd buy it, but I don't purposely plan on shopping in the stores.

I agree. They are missing an opportunity.

Hi

I disagree. I see lots of people spending lots of money in them. If people are spending money, then the company is likely making a good profit. Just because you or I don't frequent them, doesn't mean others aren't. There are a lot of stores that I wouldn't never enter, but many others will.

I find it interesting how every once in a while someone thinks they know how these fairly well run companies can make more money and are willing to share their advice for nothing. Sort of like me saying something like, "I think they could more money by just raising their prices". Sometimes it might make a difference if you have a real understanding of a business. It is not to say that your suggestion or mine are off base, it's just that mostly we have no relevant knowledge that would justify our contentions.

Back in the day the cruise ships had much more logo items. If I want a high end watch or a piece from Effy Jewelers I'll buy it at home. I assume the two biggest sellers are the same as it's always been. Alcohol and tobacco..

Well.....I think their goal is to have a gift shop with a wide variety of items instead of a department store. They don't have the space.

They do have space though. Its just filled with very odd things.

Back in the day the cruise ships had much more logo items. If I want a high end watch or a piece from Effy Jewelers I'll buy it at home. I assume the two biggest sellers are the same as it's always been. Alcohol and tobacco..

Yes, I totally agree. My husband commented he would love a normal hat that says Carnival but they are baby blue or bright orange or other wacky colors. Have they heard of branding? (I'm kidding) but really...have they???

I was going to say, on our one and only RCI cruise last summer, I felt they were pretty much the same as Carnival's shops. They seem to try to give a little bit of variety of things, hoping to appease to as many as they can, but it doesn't matter to me. If I found something I liked, I'd buy it, but I don't purposely plan on shopping in the stores.

Yes you are probably right re: RCI. I wouldn't say I purposely go on a cruise to shop but when I get bored on day 5 its something I wish I could do.

I agree they need more logo items and ship branded items. That is what I look for every cruise. On a positive note it saves me money. Our last two cruises we only bought a Carnival ship toy for our son.

Anyone who says that the shops don't sell anything have never tried to get past the Funshops when there's a sale on! You take your life in your hands!!! Some of those people are like velociraptors, grabbing up every bracelet, watch or t-shirt that goes on sale!

And God forbid you should stop to look at something on your way by! I had a woman grab a Bella Perlina bracelet out of my hands (that I wasn't really that interested in anyway!) and yell at me that it was hers, she just set it down for a second, how DARE I touch it! I just smiled at her and wished her a pleasant day!

Anyone who says that the shops don't sell anything have never tried to get past the Funshops when there's a sale on! You take your life in your hands!!! Some of those people are like velociraptors, grabbing up every bracelet, watch or t-shirt that goes on sale!

And God forbid you should stop to look at something on your way by! I had a woman grab a Bella Perlina bracelet out of my hands (that I wasn't really that interested in anyway!) and yell at me that it was hers, she just set it down for a second, how DARE I touch it! I just smiled at her and wished her a pleasant day!

HAHA! There are always your select few that go against the norm...;p

I agree. I get it that it's a variety of items shop but the Dollar Store has better stuff. The t-shirts are very weird and every cruise I am hoping there is a better design but it's the same designs. Carnival has a decent logo, why can't they make a shirt that has that HMC sign on it (I wish I could stay here forever)? And you know people would buy some kind of ship on a stick shirt. Haha! There is def room for improvement.