Rudi's Sel de Mer?

DFWGUYZ

We ate in Sel de Mer on our first cruise on the Koningsdam and it was good. The only complaint my husband had was his fish was too salty. He had ordered the fish that's cooked in a salt crust, but didn't expect it to make the fish so salty. Other than that it was good, and the service is good. It's a nice setting, much quieter than the MDR.

The price is a la carte, and if you are a 3 star mariner or higher, your discount applies.

Food is subjective, as everyone knows, but what are your opinions?

We were very sad to see An Evening at Le Cirque go away ... but found Rudi's Sel de Mer (pop-up on ms Eurodam) to be a very acceptable replacement. My Escargots Bourguignonne and salt crust baked Branzino were as good as I have ever had. Service was excellent, ambience was authentic, and price (even before applying our Mariner discount) was very reasonable. We give RSdM a 4-Star rating based on our first experience. We are looking forward to another meal at RSdM on our next cruise.(y)(y)(y)

We were very sad to see An Evening at Le Cirque go away ... but found Rudi's Sel de Mer (pop-up on ms Eurodam) to be a very acceptable replacement. My Escargots Bourguignonne and salt crust baked Branzino were as good as I have ever had. Service was excellent, ambience was authentic, and price (even before applying our Mariner discount) was very reasonable. We give RSdM a 4-Star rating based on our first experience. We are looking forward to another meal at RSdM on our next cruise.(y)(y)(y)

This is why food is so subjective The only complaint my husband had was his fish was too salty. He had ordered the fish that's cooked in a salt crust, but didn't expect it to make the fish so salty. Another person above salt crust baked Branzino were as good as I have ever had.

Food is subjective so I will not comment further. Before our first Koningsdam cruise, we had booked and paid for two Sel de Mer dinners. Once onboard and after the first dinner, we changed the second one to a Pinnacle dinner.

As far as the Sel de Mer pop-up goes, it is not even close to competing with a De Librije pop-up experience in terms of variety and food presentation.

We enjoyed our meal on the Eurodam at pop up SDM. The escargot was wonderful and I liked the sole mernier(sp). We’ll go again. Hubby had the lamb and said it was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Booked it twice for our 16 day Panama Canal cruise. After the first time I cancelled the second evening. No fresh fish as advertised, it was frozen from 10 days ago and most of the items were not very good. We won't go again. We always enjoyed Le Cirque night and went many times, always a great meal.

Food is subjective so I will not comment further. Before our first Koningsdam cruise, we had booked and paid for two Sel de Mer dinners. Once onboard and after the first dinner, we changed the second one to a Pinnacle dinner.

As far as the Sel de Mer pop-up goes, it is not even close to competing with a De Librije pop-up experience in terms of variety and food presentation.

Another vote for "food is subjective". My experience with De Librije was "once was enough." Looking forward it trying Sel de Mer on my Nieuw Statendam sailings.

Another vote for "food is subjective". My experience with De Librije was "once was enough." Looking forward it trying Sel de Mer on my Nieuw Statendam sailings.

Always nice to have options and have something for everyone ;p We were not particularly thrilled with "Le Cirque" but understand that some folks enjoyed it.

Thanks to all of you for noting your experiences. Very helpful. If I may ask what is this pop-up some of you have mentioned? We did see the dedicated location on our Koningsdam trip but didn't dine there. We are new to HAL and only have sailed on four of their ships. Am booked on Oosterdam for the first time, will there be a Sel de Mer pop-up on her? And if so where would it be located?

Edited by DFWGUYZ
additional question

Thanks to all of you for noting your experiences. Very helpful. If I may ask what is this pop-up some of you have mentioned? We did see the dedicated location on our Koningsdam trip but didn't dine there. We are new to HAL and only have sailed on four of their ships. Am booked on Oosterdam for the first time, will there be a Sel de Mer pop-up on her? And if so where would it be located?

The "pop-up" would be a special dinner at the Pinnacle Grill on a ship that did not have a dedicated Sel de Mer.

We did the SDM on the Konigsdam and thought it was okay.

We did the SDM pop up on the Eurodam and it was nothing to write home about ..... In fact, the Crepes Suzettes were as thick as pancakes. Complete fail. Won't go again.

We are fish lovers, so our SDM experience has depended on which ports we are in. Spanish, Portuguese etc and catch of the day will be fresh off of the dock.

Last week the Chef bought Halibut in Ketchikan, it was delicious.

Sandra

We are fish lovers, so our SDM experience has depended on which ports we are in. Spanish, Portuguese etc and catch of the day will be fresh off of the dock.

Last week the Chef bought Halibut in Ketchikan, it was delicious.

Sandra

Thanks, Sandra.

Should I assume on a seven day Caribbean that booking this venue might be iffy as to catch of the day features?

Thanks, Sandra.

Should I assume on a seven day Caribbean that booking this venue might be iffy as to catch of the day features?

Oh no. I think that the Chef knows where to get fresh fish. We saw the K Dam Chef buying fish at the dock in a Caribbean port. I can't remember which one.

Catch of the day could be a bit of a problem transatlantic though. Next time. I will watch to see if the Chef turns up with a rod on the stern.

sandra

• Haha 1

We ate in the pop up SDM on Westerdam last week. We liked the efforts made to make it different from the Pinnacle Grill, different crockery and waiters uniforms. Also the olives and tapenade was pleasant although the mini baguettes were not crispy enough. The scallop appetiser was superb, made us wonder why they are not featured on the menu. Starters of foie gras and seafood excellent, as were the mains of lobster and Dover sole. Dessert of lemon tart good but ‘artisan’ cheese plate not worthy of the name. A proper French restaurant would have a decent cheese board!

Wine and drinks list much reduced from normal PG and only one white by the glass in EBP range. But, there was a very good rose.

Coffee and petit fours pleasant.

Service very good but a bit slow.

We enjoyed it and thought the supplement of $49 reasonable.

Edited by Number34
Typo

oh no. I think that the chef knows where to get fresh fish. We saw the k dam chef buying fish at the dock in a caribbean port. I can't remember which one.

Catch of the day could be a bit of a problem transatlantic though. Next time. I will watch to see if the chef turns up with a rod on the stern.

Sandra

:d

:d

Thanks, we also enjoyed our Le Cirque evenings and are happy to see that Sel de Mer will most likely make us happy also.

• Like 1

We liked SDM in its own dedicated space on Koningsdam. We did not enjoy the pop-up that we experienced on NA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We really enjoyed it on the Koningsdam - got a great lobster tail for a reasonable price (after the 50% off for 4Star).

• 1 month later...

We got off Koningsdam on Sunday after a 2 week cruise. We went to eat at Sel de Mer one night but walked out before ordering. The following write-up that I put in my HAL survey explains what happened.

I was very disappointed in Sel De Mer. I went there after our day in Bergen because the assistant restaurant manager (who I spoke to when we were walking into Tamarind) told me that they would have fresh fish from the local fish market and suggested that I check the display in front of the restaurant that night. We checked out the display and decided to have diner there on Bergen night. We sat down and were given bread and the waiter told us about the menu and I was shocked to hear that the fish of the day was the same Dorado that they were serving the first night of the cruise (which I was told came from Amsterdam although I was told by knowledgeable guests that it was not a fish from the area). I asked what about the fish in the display that supposedly came from Bergen. I was told this was what the chef had prepared. We got up and left and did not return because I didn’t think it was worth paying a la carte pricing for fish that wasn’t fresh. I was under the impression that the concept of the restaurant was to serve fresh local fish but that was not what I found.