Alaska clothing dielema.....

blossom52

Hi We are on the Pearl to Alaska on 13th May. I know to take wet and cold weather clothing but I don't know what to take for onboard, do ladies dress up in the evening or is casual OK, also will it be warmish on the ship?

It's difficult as we have time in the USA after and we will be camping as well, as we are flying luggage is limited....HELP.......

Following as we are going in June and I feel like I need to pack half my wardrobe. From what I've read Alaska tends to be more casual overall. I'm wearing nice jeans with a dressy top or palazzo pants with heels or khakis for dinner. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruised Alaska on the Carnival Legend in July a couple of years ago. Most evenings we had dinner in jeans and a nice shirt. We typically skip formal nights and opt for the buffet.

As far as temperatures ago, it was almost always jeans and t-shirt temps on the boat. They do a pretty good job making it comfortable. When we stepped outside we kept a light jacket with us, especially if we were near a glacier or if the sun wasn't out.

One option to help with over packing is to consider using the laundry services on the boat. It can be pricey but it's cheaper than paying the outrageous fees airlines charge for overweight bags. Plus some ships even have self service laundry facilities. Not saying it's a must, but it's a nice option to have.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We cruised Alaska on the Carnival Legend in July a couple of years ago. Most evenings we had dinner in jeans and a nice shirt. We typically skip formal nights and opt for the buffet.

As far as temperatures ago, it was almost always jeans and t-shirt temps on the boat. They do a pretty good job making it comfortable. When we stepped outside we kept a light jacket with us, especially if we were near a glacier or if the sun wasn't out.

One option to help with over packing is to consider using the laundry services on the boat. It can be pricey but it's cheaper than paying the outrageous fees airlines charge for overweight bags. Plus some ships even have self service laundry facilities. Not saying it's a must, but it's a nice option to have.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

None of the Norwegian ships have self-service laundry. Sometime during the cruise, there will be a laundry special-- Fill The Bag for about $20.00.

Hi We are on the Pearl to Alaska on 13th May. I know to take wet and cold weather clothing but I don't know what to take for onboard, do ladies dress up in the evening or is casual OK, also will it be warmish on the ship?

It's difficult as we have time in the USA after and we will be camping as well, as we are flying luggage is limited....HELP.......

The key to pacing for Alaska is layers!

The ship will be kept at a comfortable temperature and will likely feel warm after being outside all day. Keep pin mind that temps in SE Ak can range from the 30's at night to as much as the 80's during the day. Rain and cloud cover have a lot to do with the temps. NCL tends to be casual anyway, so don't worry too much about clothing for on board.

As far as flying you are probably going to have to just pay the fee for an extra bag if you are going to be gone long enough to go camping after the cruise.

Light layers, what is a Must is a good rain jacket. Umbrellas are just a PITA, I saw very few people using them. We went in September, it was 82F and sunny when we left Seattle. I think the morning low (lowest temp) in Skagway was 55F. Most days were in the upper 60's. Keep in mind this was the first week of September

Side story, but when we sailed to Alaska, our luggage, containing all the outfits that my wife had meticulously purchased and put together for months, got lost (and was NEVER found!). We had no choice but to make a mad dash to Target in downtown Seattle on the morning of the cruise and, in 45 minutes, try to improvise a wardrobe for a family of 4.

Long story short, the items that we grabbed in a hurry that morning were more than enough for our cruise. As others have mentioned, the cruise was fairy casual, and jeans, sweaters and a jacket were sufficient for most of our daily activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NCL is very casual,,,, which is why we like it so much.

If you want to dress up, please do so, you won’t be out of place. You can wear shorts to dinner in all restaurants except Le Bistro and the Summer Palace. Lon pants required in those restaurants.

The ship temperature is the same as other ships. But we like to go walking outside after dinner and look for the sea life (whales and dolphins). In May, that can be cool.

We most recently sailed in late June and August where we wore shorts in ports,,,, but had heavy coats, hats, gloves for glacier watching days.

Alaska is our favorite cruise destination. It is simply magical. We’re crusing Alaska again next month.

we wore jeans and sweaters to dinner every night on both our alaska sails. its cold!

We had the opposite issue. We had packed sweaters, jackets, long sleeve shirts and it was HOT almost our whole cruise. We ended up wearing the same two short sleeves shirts and one pair of shorts (we had worn/brought for the travel back to south Florida) almost the entire cruise. Our cruise was the last one of the season in late August/early September when it was supposed to be cold and rainy, nope-sunny and hot!

So layers is the most important thing, just make sure some of your layers are warm weather layers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been to Alaska 3 times, 4th coming up in August. Our first trip was in Sept, and it was HOT! Yes, I packed for COLD. Ended up getting our laundry done so we could re-wear our few t-shirts and light pants. That said, if you are on any water excursions, like whale watching, you will probably want quick-dry type garments. I have lined quick-dry pants that will go with me. Layers are a key element.

On the ship, the temps will be normal, but if you walk the deck, be prepared with a jacket or sweater! We still dress for dinner, but we fly Southwest, so can take 2 suitcases without extra cost. If I were having to pay additional, I would be more prudent in my choices! I always overpack ;)

No need for dressy clothes. We sailed on the Sun in Alaska last summer and I took nothing but jeans and never felt underdressed in any venue. NCL is more casual than a lot of other lines to start with, and being that most are dressed for the anyway, the Alaska sailings are probably even more casual.

As everyone else has mentioned, just bring layers. There really is no need to pack heavy winter gear, as you can just add as many layers as you need for warmth. You will find the temperature often fluctuates during the day, especially on excursions depending on what you do. With layers you can add or subtract as necessary. We've been to Alaska several times and have experienced weather in the 30's and 40's as well as the 70's and 80's. There is no predicting what you will encounter. Just make sure you have a good quality rain coat as a final layer for wet days.

I just returned and basically lived in my nice collared fleece zip-up sweater. The fanciest I ever got was throwing a pair of boots over some leggings. He got away with a nice collared shirt and nice jeans for Le Bistro, and we never felt out of place.

I also carried a pashmina scarf around with me for the moments I could use a bit more coverage (such as popping outside on deck for a minute).

We had the opposite issue. We had packed sweaters, jackets, long sleeve shirts and it was HOT almost our whole cruise. We ended up wearing the same two short sleeves shirts and one pair of shorts (we had worn/brought for the travel back to south Florida) almost the entire cruise. Our cruise was the last one of the season in late August/early September when it was supposed to be cold and rainy, nope-sunny and hot!

So layers is the most important thing, just make sure some of your layers are warm weather layers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, that happened to me too. Mostly packed cold weather clothes and it was hot at most of the ports. No one noticed me wearing the same shorts, and luckily I brought a couple t-shirts to go under my sweater or jacket. That said, the ship was pretty cold in areas, especially on deck with the wind whipping by. This was a late May cruise. And took an excursion out to the Yukon (the one where you cross the Canadian border?) and it was pretty cold out there (I've got pictures of me standing on snow). So, like everyone says, wear layers. It can go from extremes even in one port depending on what you do.