in-cabin safes on Caribbean Princess

carol louise

We are about to sail on the Caribbean Princess and are wondering how the in-cabin safes open. Do you set your own code on a keypad or does the safe require the use of a credit card with a magnetic strip?

Thanks.

Carol Louise

Punch in your own 4 digit code. Close the door. Turn the knob. CB still has the safes with the knob to turn. Some ships (such as Emerald) have safes that lock automagically when you enter the code.) To open simply punch in the code you chose, turn the knob, and open the door.

Note: Make sure you enter your code correctly. If you fat finger the code and lock the safe you need to figure out what code you actually entered or else deal with passenger services to have someone open the safe for you.

On our April 1 cruise' date=' there was no knob to turn. To lock, close door, set 4 digit code, press "lock." To open, type in 4 digit code. Door popped open.[/quote']

Exactly how our safe of Caribbean Princess in January worked! EASY! :D

On our April 1 cruise' date=' there was no knob to turn. To lock, close door, set 4 digit code, press "lock." To open, type in 4 digit code. Door popped open.[/quote']

We were on the same cruise and ours still had the knob so there must be a mixture of safes on board.

After you have entered the code and locked the safe, it will display the number you used for a very short period of time. That is so you can verify the number you entered against the actual number that was used. I check it each time I close it for any errors. The code is 4 digits you choose.

If you forget the number and need it opened, security will come up and open it for you after filling out several forms and your signature on the forms. It is a real pain.

Yep, I think every Princess ship I’ve been on has been like that.

But trying to recall how Pacific Worked about 20 years ago, there may have been a knob, just can’t remember for sure.

If you forget the number and need it opened, security will come up and open it for you after filling out several forms and your signature on the forms. It is a real pain.

Especially when you're in a hurry to get off the ship at a port. ;)

Our cabin on Diamond had the knob type of safe.

I can't recall ever seeing the card type on any ship I've been on so far.

I can remember years ago the RCCL had card swiping safes. I'm almost sure they've all been replaced by now.