Top Items to bring on Cruise, tips and tricks

Bulzie

There was a thread awhile back that had the top item you would not want to forget on your cruise. If anyone knows of one I am talking about could you link it, I cannot find it in search.

But can you list those items you think helps on a cruise, some have suggested shoe rack to go behind closet door for toiletries, most know to bring a power cord, magnetic hooks to hang things, etc?

I would say the top item for most of us would be a credit card.

Try doing a search on Google, and type "cruise packing list" in the search bar. Without much effort, you'll find several lists of suggested items. Beyond the obvious basics, (passports, clothes, toiletries, medications, etc.), you'll find lots of extras that may or may not be important to you. Here's what I suggest. While sitting down, close your eyes and imagine yourself in a typical nice hotel room. Remember, storage space for your possessions is limited. Carefully think about what you truly need, then make your list accordingly. What's right for you may not be so for someone else, and vice-versa. Ask yourself, "Do I really need _____?" If yes, then pack it. If no, then leave it at home. The less you bring, the less you have to worry about where to put it.

I have a basic list of what to take. Passports, sunscreen, hats, camera, power strip (not a surge protected one), charging cords, Clorox wipes, dramamine, prescription and OTC medications, travel coffee mug. We also use the shoe rack for toiletries in the bathroom (with strong magnetic clips)

I'm sure there's more.

I would say the top item for most of us would be a credit card.

I was just reading a review about a nice AI in Mexico where someone had $1700 stolen out of their safe. Why on earth people bring this much money with them, is beyond me. The credit card with no foreign exchange fees is absolutely a must.

I forgot to pack my bathing suits one time :o

I almost did this! It wasn't on a cruise trip, but an all-inclusive to Cancun about 20 years ago! I picked up my best friend from her house and we headed for the airport when I realized I left them laying on my bed. We hauled butt back to my house and I grabbed them and then headed back to the airport. Luckily at the time we both worked at the airport and since it was pre-9/11, we could just use our employee badge to access the gate area without going through security. So we made our flight...but I was panicked there for a quick minute!

I forgot to pack my bathing suits one time :o

Several cruises ago, I forgot to pack a dress shirt to wear with my suit. After that, I learned to group related items together before packing so I wouldn't forget anything. Suit with tie, dress shirt and shoes. Swim trunks with sandals and sunblock. Chargers with rechargeable items. Etc. etc. That method works well for me, and I don't have write a list.;)

Best to bring is a good attitude... and leave your expectations at home.

From a practical standpoint, an "over-the-door shoe holder" has been very valuable. Gives you lots of room in the bathroom with little cubbyholes for all the toiletries, sunscreen, etc.

Bring a large hardcover book to place any photos you purchase in. We use a big (not thick, just large) hardcover children's book. We got tired of purchasing photos onboard and on excursions and not having a way to safely transport them back home.

Bring a large hardcover book to place any photos you purchase in. We use a big (not thick, just large) hardcover children's book. We got tired of purchasing photos onboard and on excursions and not having a way to safely transport them back home.

That's a really smart tip! Love it.

I use a packing list that I saved from somewhere on the internet (there are many), tweaked it to fit my needs, and print out / check off for every trip. It has all the most important things on it.

I also like BeachBum53's idea to group related items. This is a great tip to be sure you have all the necessary items for formal night, or whatever.

I always pack a really cute wall decoration sticker from the Dollar Tree. I hang it on the cabin door as an easy decoration/reminder that I am home, and it peels off at the end of the cruise with no residue left behind. I usually save the waxy paper that it comes on and put the sticker back on it at the end of the cruise so that I can reuse it.

That's a really smart tip! Love it.

I use a packing list that I saved from somewhere on the internet (there are many), tweaked it to fit my needs, and print out / check off for every trip. It has all the most important things on it.

I have a list I wrote out on my first cruise trip and over the years I have tweeked it - It also includes items that I might need for a land trip so when I am packing for a trip I just print it out cross out what I don't need and pack the rest

I was just reading a review about a nice AI in Mexico where someone had $1700 stolen out of their safe. Why on earth people bring this much money with them, is beyond me. The credit card with no foreign exchange fees is absolutely a must.

Depending on where I am going and the latest challenges in the area I might take a bit more cash than you feel appropriate. I know from experience that a credit card is useless - cash is king - during many emergencies - from weather events to terrorism.

Extended power outages, ATM not being refilled and a zillion other reasons a credit card would be useless. A backup plan of access to cash is never foolish.

That is the first new and helpful tip I have heard in a long time. Thank you!

1) a good attitude

2) whatever I would want in a hotel for the same vacation

3) a 20" roller bag and backpack to carry it all

IMHO 99% of the things people list here for a cruise are just a waste of space. I can use my suit case under the bed or the bottom of the closet for trash. I can bring a hanging toiletry bag for the bathroom. We always have multi-plug, charges, books, binoculars etc. The only 2 things that are truly unique to the cruise are 1) lanyards and 2) command hooks to hang them on (and in a pinch you can use the hangers for the snoozin sign).

This is genius!!

I'm one of *those* planners - you know the one with a spreadsheet with 13 tabs. That said, I've been saving the best tips for years now and recently added ones from a Cheers thread that I will include here too. Hope this helps!

These were really helpful and full of good explanations for relative newbie (also a Type A planner!) like myself. Thanks for posting.