Best cruise line if you don't get off at ports?

Sparrow791

Hi,

I am looking to go on a cruise with my family including my grandfather who has difficult walking. Therefore, he probably will not be getting off the boat at ports. Is there any cruise line in particular that has activities to entertain people who don't get off the ship?

I know some lines offer technology classes, or things like bingo, but he would not be interested in either. I'm mainly thinking if there is any form of entertainment (musicians) or something similar? Also, is there limited food options on the ship when docked at port?

For reference, I am looking at the following cruises, but open to other options!

Celebrity Cruises

• 10 Day Hawaii leaving from Vancouver
  • 8 Day Southern Caribbean (Summit)
  • 7 Day Pacific Northwest (Solstice)

Royal Caribbean

• 10 Day Northeast/Canada (Adventure of the Seas)
  • 7 Day Western Caribbean (Liberty of the Seas)
  • 7 Day Western Caribbean (Harmony of the Seas)

Holland America

• 7 Day Alaska (Eurodam)
  • 10 Day New England (Zuiderdam)
  • 7 Day Western Caribbean (Nieuw Amsterdam)

You could do a NY-Southamption-NY round trip on Cunard. The ship is cleared by UK Customs on the eastbound leg, so there is no need to get off in Southampton.

Great idea - QM2 usually has good variety of on board enrichment and music- plus being at sea means best meal variety.

While that might suit the dad, there is more family going on this cruise, and I don't think the QM2 with no ports would suit THEM. EM

Your right, of course. The thing is, no one cruise will be ideal for all age groups. As the grandfather is outnumbered, perhaps best to focus on the majority: Celebrity might be the best compromise.

I would opt for the Hawaii cruise. Sea days getting to and from the islands and then the islands themselves where the younger family members can do active things and grandpa can do something easy off the ship and then return to the ship to relax.

Another consideration: I would not choose a huge ship where you have to walk a long way from one end to the other. Also book cabins close to elevators.

I would choose an Alaska or Norwegian Fjord cruise. So much to see from the ship even when in port. I did this with my disabled aunt. We chose a cabin on deck 3 I think it was. Level walk to dining room bar, outdoor deck etc. I got off the ship but she didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a terrific question. Since DW and I have spent many port days (especially in the Caribbean) on our ships we have a suggestion. Our favorite ships would be the Solstice Class ships of Celebrity and the runner up would be the Royal Class of Princess. But keep in mind that all cruise ships curtail their entire activity schedule when in port, so those port days are basically a day where you must entertain yourself. DW and I normally prefer to find a comfy deck chair and spend the day reading. The Lido is nearby for when we want food, and bar service is terrific since there are few passengers. The Royal Class (and most other Princess ships) have a wonderful venue in the Atrium area called the International Cafe, which is open 24/7 with its many coffee and tea drinks and a menu of light snacks that varies during the day.

Hank

What a terrific question. Since DW and I have spent many port days (especially in the Caribbean) on our ships we have a suggestion. Our favorite ships would be the Solstice Class ships of Celebrity and the runner up would be the Royal Class of Princess. But keep in mind that all cruise ships curtail their entire activity schedule when in port, so those port days are basically a day where you must entertain yourself. DW and I normally prefer to find a comfy deck chair and spend the day reading. The Lido is nearby for when we want food, and bar service is terrific since there are few passengers. The Royal Class (and most other Princess ships) have a wonderful venue in the Atrium area called the International Cafe, which is open 24/7 with its many coffee and tea drinks and a menu of light snacks that varies during the day.

Hank

You forgot to mention the amazing T-Pools on the Summit!:D

Hi,

I am looking to go on a cruise with my family including my grandfather who has difficult walking. Therefore, he probably will not be getting off the boat at ports. Is there any cruise line in particular that has activities to entertain people who don't get off the ship?

I know some lines offer technology classes, or things like bingo, but he would not be interested in either. I'm mainly thinking if there is any form of entertainment (musicians) or something similar? Also, is there limited food options on the ship when docked at port?

For reference, I am looking at the following cruises, but open to other options!

Celebrity Cruises

• 10 Day Hawaii leaving from Vancouver
  • 8 Day Southern Caribbean (Summit)
  • 7 Day Pacific Northwest (Solstice)

Royal Caribbean

• 10 Day Northeast/Canada (Adventure of the Seas)
  • 7 Day Western Caribbean (Liberty of the Seas)
  • 7 Day Western Caribbean (Harmony of the Seas)

Holland America

• 7 Day Alaska (Eurodam)
  • 10 Day New England (Zuiderdam)
  • 7 Day Western Caribbean (Nieuw Amsterdam)

Sister and I didn't get off for ports on recent Splendor cruise. Port days were glorious to be on board. It was so quiet. The pool wasn't crowded until the afternoon. The spa was a good place to go on port days and plenty of trivia. I learned to love reading again. I have become accustomed to listening to e-books but next time on a cruise I will bring a hard copy book. Luckily the library had some good choices. It was easy to find a cozy place to curl up and read.

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

You say you grandfather has difficulty walking, so have you considered bringing a wheelchair for him?

There is no reason for him to be confined to the ship in any of your ports, unless nobody is able to push him. I have helped my wife around in a wheelchair for many years. We have been able to visit cruise ports in Alaska, Hawaii, the Caribbean with little difficulty. If nobody is able to push, you can consider getting a mobility scooter for the length of the trip. The only issues with the scooter is that you are actually more restricted compared to a folding wheelchair, plus you would need to verify that the scooter can fit through the cabin door. Just pick an itinerary where you will be able to get off the ship and do something fun.

Just to throw in the idea, if he has trouble walking how was he planning to get around the ship? There is so much standing and waiting, not to mention walking, just to do anything. You want to go to a show after dinner, most ships you have to walk the length of the ship. Just saying...anybody who has mobility issues should consider using a wheelchair.

If you go to the "boards home" page an scroll down, you will see a link for a thread that is devoted to "disabled cruise travel". You will find much information there about what you should know and where you can get help.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Generally ,Cunard ships have little activity on port days.

Ahhh, but they are talking about "crossings" where there would only be a single port day (in Southampton). The Queen Mary 2 has a wonderful array of activities on their sea days.

Hank

We took my parents along on several cruises. They had an oceanview balcony cabin. One used a walker and we got a wheelchair (rental) for the other one. There are numerous tours around the islands that they took with some of us going along where they got to see the island, then back to the ship. It was also a great help to have the wheelchair to get them to the shows and dining rooms. There's a lot of walking, even on the smaller ships if walking is difficult. On a Hawaii cruise with Royal Caribbean, we took a whale watch excursion and my parents stayed behind on the ship. When we returned, my Dad had seen a whale while sitting on their balcony. We had helped them choose their lunch from room service before leaving the ship and the waiters not only delivered it but set it up on the balcony for them. They wanted to stay in the promenade cafe one day when it was time for us to leave for an excursion on one cruise. We wanted to help them get to the cabin, but a Royal Caribbean staff member heard us and volunteered to personally take them to their cabin when they were ready to leave. How incredible is that?? Having the wheel chair also made it possible for us to take them off the ship and let my Mom do some shopping at the ports. You can even rent a scooter to use but there were plenty of us to help push the wheelchair.

Stay away from Holland America. They've cut their activities in general in recent years, so a port day would be extremely dead.

I seem to remember that Princess had some limited musical offerings on port days, like a solo pianist.