Brooklyn cruise Terminal to Penn station after sailing on Cunard

Hi

Looks like we are now all set on sailing into New York from Southampton......and I believe it will be Brooklyn cruise Terminal .....Can any one recommend a car transfer company from the Cruise Terminal to New York Penn station.....we have to get the train from there to Boston ?......looking for a safe reliable service...don’t want to use a yellow cab, had a bad experience years ago.

This is often discussed on the Cunard forum, and the “East Coast Departures” forum.

I cannot make a personal recommendation, as we either drive & park, or have a family member drive.

Two car services frequently recommended are Dial7 and Arecibo. Check the forums for contact info and typical prices.

I would use uber

Agree. Uber of Lyft will be the most economical and convenient. You can make arrangements for a private transfer with one of the so-called Black Car companies, but it will cost you more than Uber. The normal Uber fare will be in the $25 - $30 range depending on surge pricing.

Hank

Be careful, Uber or Lyft vehicles i have seen can tend to have small trunks, a problem if you have much luggage. Car services that use Lincoln Town cars have large trunks or an SUV might be better.

there was a long line of 'black car' next to the taxi line when we came off QM2

they offered a flat rate to the destination - taxi would be on the meter

we took one and it was less than a taxi, clean and fast ......

there were big signs for this service in the terminal as we approached the customs station

our flight was a lil early so we were concerned, but made it to Lag' licitly split . . .

<our SUV could have sat 7 ... bags were NO problem>

there was a long line of 'black car' next to the taxi line when we came off QM2

they offered a flat rate to the destination - taxi would be on the meter

we took one and it was less than a taxi, clean and fast ......

there were big signs for this service in the terminal as we approached the customs station

our flight was a lil early so we were concerned, but made it to Lag' licitly split . . .

<our SUV could have sat 7 ... bags were NO problem>

This big line of cars are illegal. You could have been totally ripped off. They are gypsy cabs or hustlers. They are not supposed to solicit fares. Many are not scrupulous. If one wants an honest and legal car service contact Dial 7 or Carmel Limo. Or even Uber.

This big line of cars are illegal

but with BIG adverts in the terminal?????

and if illegal why not shut down versus an obvious 'accommodation' ....

I know NYC has illegal rides ... not sure this is one ....

In Brooklyn the green taxis can solicit rides. All other cars must be solicited by the pax. That’s not to say the drivers don’t line up there. NYPD has better things to do ... until one of the gypsy cab drivers takes advantage of a foreign tourist and it makes the papers.

In Brooklyn the green taxis can solicit rides. All other cars must be solicited by the pax. That’s not to say the drivers don’t line up there. NYPD has better things to do ... until one of the gypsy cab drivers takes advantage of a foreign tourist and it makes the papers.

Not sure they are talking about Gypsy Cabs. The last time we were disembarking at Red Hook we noticed a line of Black Cars and they appeared to be the legit Livery Cars. I had pulled out my phone and was in the process of summoning an Uber X car to take us over to Gramercy Park...when a Black Car driver asked me if I wanted a ride. I told him where we were going and he said $50 which got a fast laugh from me. I told him I was just going over to Gramercy Park and was summoning Uber....but would let him take us for $30. He told us to get in his nice Lincoln and we had a pretty good deal. He was displaying the normal NYC Livery license.

We know NYC very well and understand the taxi rules (including Green Cars). I did not understand how the Black Cars could be soliciting at Red Hook, but obviously the authorities were "blessing" the practice. We saw both NYC Police and Port Authority Police and nobody had an issue with those Black Cars.

Hank

Not sure they are talking about Gypsy Cabs. The last time we were disembarking at Red Hook we noticed a line of Black Cars and they appeared to be the legit Livery Cars. I had pulled out my phone and was in the process of summoning an Uber X car to take us over to Gramercy Park...when a Black Car driver asked me if I wanted a ride. I told him where we were going and he said $50 which got a fast laugh from me. I told him I was just going over to Gramercy Park and was summoning Uber....but would let him take us for $30. He told us to get in his nice Lincoln and we had a pretty good deal. He was displaying the normal NYC Livery license.

We know NYC very well and understand the taxi rules (including Green Cars). I did not understand how the Black Cars could be soliciting at Red Hook, but obviously the authorities were "blessing" the practice. We saw both NYC Police and Port Authority Police and nobody had an issue with those Black Cars.

Hank

I think I've hailed a cab once in the past 40 years either visiting or working in NYC [mostly subway and shank's mare after getting off LIRR or parking] - but I believe that the town car pickup [subset of 'livery cabs'] is available at ports [airports, cruise port, bus terminal, train station] in designated areas without a prior reservation. Most of these areas also have taxi stands for yellow and green cabs.

Only yellow cabs can take street hails in the 'inner boroughs' - both green and yellow cabs can take street hails in the outer boroughs. This was supposed to ensure more taxi service for the outer boroughs.

I think I've hailed a cab once in the past 40 years either visiting or working in NYC [mostly subway and shank's mare after getting off LIRR or parking] - but I believe that the town car pickup [subset of 'livery cabs'] is available at ports [airports, cruise port, bus terminal, train station] in designated areas without a prior reservation. Most of these areas also have taxi stands for yellow and green cabs.

Only yellow cabs can take street hails in the 'inner boroughs' - both green and yellow cabs can take street hails in the outer boroughs. This was supposed to ensure more taxi service for the outer boroughs.

Listen I’m not going to argue. Town Car Pick up without a reservation is a gypsy cab. You want to take the risk be my guest.

Be careful, Uber or Lyft vehicles i have seen can tend to have small trunks, a problem if you have much luggage. Car services that use Lincoln Town cars have large trunks or an SUV might be better.

Haven't used Uber but Lyft, through the App allows you to pick the type and size of the vehicle. You can also indicate how much luggage you have.

Ramona

Listen I’m not going to argue. Town Car Pick up without a reservation is a gypsy cab. You want to take the risk be my guest.

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal operator has a contract with a car service to provide authorized transportation at the port. As I understand it the nature of the arrangement is such that it would not be considered an illegal or "gypsy cab" operation. The cruise terminal acts as the base for the service, and it is not a case of random drivers hanging out at the cruise terminal trolling for fares. I believe this is the company, Executive Transportation Group with which they have the contract:

https://etgweb.com/

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal operator has a contract with a car service to provide authorized transportation at the port. As I understand it the nature of the arrangement is such that it would not be considered an illegal or "gypsy cab" operation. The cruise terminal acts as the base for the service, and it is not a case of random drivers hanging out at the cruise terminal trolling for fares. I believe this is the company, Executive Transportation Group with which they have the contract:

https://etgweb.com/

Brooklyn girl (woman) here. A Gypsy is one who picks up street hails …you know the ones that are passing by. If there is a taxi stand/base, and you either walk up or call them, they are not gypsies.

Ramona

Thanks for all your reply’s.....we have two big suitcases, so the car will need a big boot ( trunk)....hoping to get off the ship early by carrying off our own luggage and get to New York Penn station for the train to Boston....

Not sure if I should pre book train tickets, but if I do and miss the reserved train journey....that will be a pain.

So thinking we should be off by 9.30 am....

Is it an hour to the train station ?

Thanks for all your reply’s.....we have two big suitcases, so the car will need a big boot ( trunk)....hoping to get off the ship early by carrying off our own luggage and get to New York Penn station for the train to Boston....

Not sure if I should pre book train tickets, but if I do and miss the reserved train journey....that will be a pain.

So thinking we should be off by 9.30 am....

Is it an hour to the train station ?

Do you have the App for Amtrak, register as a user then you can purchase tickets on the go. I'd hate to visualize you running across the lobby dragging your luggage, especially the big one, across the lobby, down the steps and then the platform trying to catch your train.

Ramona

yes a cab is safe

as are the 'black car' .... this is what I used, they quote the price b4 they load you and in general you are in a black SUV ..... we were ...the a/c was cold and the driver said little. I know my way around and we went DIRECT to the airport.

when we arrived at the airport the fee was exactly what was quoted ... I tipped appropriately. This was NOT a Gypsy but the 'authorized' black car line .....

I believe 'New Yorkers' use "black cars" quite routinely .....

yes a cab is safe

as are the 'black car' .... this is what I used, they quote the price b4 they load you and in general you are in a black SUV ..... we were ...the a/c was cold and the driver said little. I know my way around and we went DIRECT to the airport.

when we arrived at the airport the fee was exactly what was quoted ... I tipped appropriately. This was NOT a Gypsy but the 'authorized' black car line .....

I believe 'New Yorkers' use "black cars" quite routinely .....

Ok here you go again. I’m a NYr. My hubby worked 35 years in law enforcement. Stop saying things that are untrue! NYrs will call a car service if they want a sedan. There are several companies. Dial7 and Carmel Limo are two that are most recommend on this board.

End of story. Either arrange for a car service or take a medallion cab. The ones that seem legit, are not.

Ok here you go again. I’m a NYr. My hubby worked 35 years in law enforcement. Stop saying things that are untrue! NYrs will call a car service if they want a sedan. There are several companies. Dial7 and Carmel Limo are two that are most recommend on this board.

End of story. Either arrange for a car service or take a medallion cab. The ones that seem legit, are not.

You don't seem to understand that at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal there is a contracted car service. Those cars are not illegal or gypsy operations, as I explained in post #14.

The Brooklyn and Manhattan cruise terminals are owned by the NY City Economic Development Corporation, a not-for-profit quasi-governmental agency . It is NY City's official economic development agency. The board members of NYCEDC are appointed by the mayor, speaker of the city council and the borough presidents.

Given that they are effectively an arm of the NY City government, although operating independently, they are not going to be breaking NY City law by allowing illegal gypsy cabs to operate on their property.

Edited by njhorseman

Next question:

Any idea how much a cab (whichever firm we take!) from Red Hook to JFK will cost? Would like a rough idea before leaving on holiday.

And

Do they accept a card or do we have to pay in cash?

Thanks

Rocky from London I'm including a link from TripSavy (For those who may fly in to NYC for Cunard or Princess cruises, NOTE: LaGuardia is undergoing modernization construction, outside and inside) and traffic can be a nightmare, or a night terror): https://www.tripsavvy.com/brooklyn-cruise-terminal-visitors-guide-1613372

Ramona