Viator

I realize many have had good service from them, but I generally find it better to book directly with the tour operator. I can find out exactly what I am getting and paying for, we have more chance to customize and I can check reviews directly. Since Viator acts as a middleman you never know for sure who will be operating the tour until they arrive.

Totally agree. This is why we don't book with brokers.

Now that the Mods moved this thread to a more apprpriate board, the OP should do a search. They would find a thread from about 2 or 3 weeks ago that illustrates the value of dealing with low priced brokers. That poster got a vendor who didn't speak English, consolidated several vehicles in to one, and took 2 or 3 times as long to get them to their destination. It was a low bid contractor to the broker.

Sometimes you get exactly what you pay for.

I used them in St Thomas instead of going direct because they offered a better cancellation policy than the tour operator.

Same reason I used them in Skagway and Ketchikan. I figured out the actual tour operator, and the price was the same, but the cancellation policies were more strict going with the tour operators. Plus, somehow I got a 10% discount code emailed to me before I booked, so the price ended up cheaper through Viator than the tour operators. Had no issues at all, and was able to show the voucher on my phone instead of having a printed copy at both tours.

I used Viatour for 1 excursion in Italy. Ended up being my favorite tour. I was very concerned during this tour. I was the only one from a cruise ship on the tour. And returned me with like 45 min till the ship left. But he promised I would be back in time and I was.

I have used them and never had any problems. However, what I usually do it to use them as a tour reference instead of a booking agency. I can usually figure out who is actually doing the tour and I book w them instead of with Viator. That way the tour company gets to keep all of them money instead of having to share it with Viator. You can also usually do the same thing w ship tours. Usually the cost is close to the same although you may save some money by booking directly.

DON

I have used them and never had any problems. However, what I usually do it to use them as a tour reference instead of a booking agency. I can usually figure out who is actually doing the tour and I book w them instead of with Viator. That way the tour company gets to keep all of them money instead of having to share it with Viator. You can also usually do the same thing w ship tours. Usually the cost is close to the same although you may save some money by booking directly.

DON

Don,

We've used Viator in Europe without any issues. Just came back from Cusco, Peru and used Viator...great tour. However, we'd love to book directly, if possible, with the local tour company. Could you kindly please share how to figure out "who is actually doing the tour"?

Thank you.

Don,

We've used Viator in Europe without any issues. Just came back from Cusco, Peru and used Viator...great tour. However, we'd love to book directly, if possible, with the local tour company. Could you kindly please share how to figure out "who is actually doing the tour"?

Thank you.

Usually just takes a bit of research using Google using tour times, prices and tour descriptions.

DON

Viator in San Juan PR, noon-time food tour, great. Viator on Easter Island, 2-3 day exploration of the sites, overcrowded small bus, an hour late to pick up, very subpar. Viator in Venice, an after hours tour of St. Marks, so so. The description says we will view the outside, then enter... They don’t say that the outside portion is 45 minutes of the total 90 minutes. Nice to be inside, small group, after hours, but very deceptive. On balance, I will use them if and only if I cannot find another way to arrange to see what I want to see.

Viator in San Juan PR, noon-time food tour, great. Viator on Easter Island, 2-3 day exploration of the sites, overcrowded small bus, an hour late to pick up, very subpar. Viator in Venice, an after hours tour of St. Marks, so so. The description says we will view the outside, then enter... They don’t say that the outside portion is 45 minutes of the total 90 minutes. Nice to be inside, small group, after hours, but very deceptive. On balance, I will use them if and only if I cannot find another way to arrange to see what I want to see.

That is why I use Viator for research only. I find a tour that looks interesting on Viator and figure out the company that is actually doing the tour. Remember Viator does not actually do any tours any tours at all. They just serve as the middleman between you and the company that is doing the tour. Once I figure out who is actually doing the Viator tour, I can then check out the reviews for that company. Takes a bit of work but it also enables you to weed out the bad tours.

DON

That is why I use Viator for research only. I find a tour that looks interesting on Viator and figure out the company that is actually doing the tour. Remember Viator does not actually do any tours any tours at all. They just serve as the middleman between you and the company that is doing the tour. Once I figure out who is actually doing the Viator tour, I can then check out the reviews for that company. Takes a bit of work but it also enables you to weed out the bad tours.

DON

Totally agree with this. As you say it takes a bit of work sometimes to work out the company, and Viator isn't putting the company name in as often they used to. This makes it even harder to check the reviews of the actual company they will use.

We had a situation in Barcelona where we booked a tour company direct. They gave clear directions on the meeting point and a phone number I could call if we had a problem meeting the guide. We met up easily. We had to wait though for a family who had booked through Viator. They got confused re the meeting point, they had to find out from Viator where to go.

Luckily for them the tour guide rang Viator to find out what was happening and so we waited for the family. So I must admit I was miffed when the father complained to the guide about the poor meeting instructions. Since we had no problem as we booked direct with the tour company, I did suggest to the father that maybe the problem lay with Viator not the tour guide.

Julie