RC Food Quality

I thought I noticed a thread on this, but I can't find it...

I know food is so subjective, but what are people's general thoughts and opinions on RC's included food options (MDR, buffet, etc..)? How does it compare to other cruise lines, like Carnival? We've only sailed Carnival and given that our AI last year had less than desirable food, we're trying to avoid another issue with food. We're not necessarily particular, but like our food to be at the right temperature and edible.

I thought I noticed a thread on this, but I can't find it...

I know food is so subjective, but what are people's general thoughts and opinions on RC's included food options (MDR, buffet, etc..)? How does it compare to other cruise lines, like Carnival? We've only sailed Carnival and given that our AI last year had less than desirable food, we're trying to avoid another issue with food. We're not necessarily particular, but like our food to be at the right temperature and edible.

If free, freshly cooked hamburgers are important to you, then you won't be happy with Royal..

Never had a problem with the food quality or the temperature it is served in the MDR. We enjoy the meals and the service. We sailed on Celebrity and RC last year and we found the food on RC equal in quality to Celebrity. We had heard for years that Celebrity's food was better. Haven't sailed with Carnival in MANY years.

We've been doing Carnival cruises the last few years. Yep, the MDR entrees seem lukewarm to me. I do like Guy's Burgers and the cooked to order items I've had at the Seafood Shack ( I think that's the name). The Buffet, in general ... eh! But, I'm just not into Buffets, grosses me out.

Can't say I'm too disappointed though. I'm on vacation with my sweet hubby.:hearteyes: I didn't have to plan, shop, cook or clean up!! I'm a happy woman having a fantastic time.

Also, thought I'd add that we really enjoy going to eat out at the Ports. Those meals are the ones that usually add to the whole vacation experience.

:D Bobbi

Also, if hot food in the MDR is important to you, you won't be happy with Royal. Luke warm, at best.

Never had issue in 30yrs on Royal, including 200+ nites just in last 4 yrs, always HOT. Carnival actually had less choices in Buffet for Dinner then in WindJammer on Royal... NCL was even better food then Carnival but last NCL cruise was in 2000... Will admit Carnival has improved a lot last 10+ yrs, diffinantly has the Best Burgers...

We've watched the food decline on Carnival, and have decided to never go back (multiple reasons). I can tell you that while Royal Caribbean is generally a step up, the food isn't its strong suit. You're better off on Celebrity, Princess, or Holland America. If you prefer fun ships, Norwegian has a fairly priced dining package if you book multiple nights.

Also, if hot food in the MDR is important to you, you won't be happy with Royal. Luke warm, at best.

I see quite a few people mention this, but it hasn’t been my experience. I’ve never had a meal served to me that wasn’t hot enough

I just got off Explorer today and I thought the food was terrible. On par with a cafeteria at a hospital or something and believe me, I'm no foodie.

Lettuce, which was iceberg, was brown. Food was always lukewarm or cold. Burgers were absolutely disgusting. I think I lost weight as I just skipped meals if nothing was good, so maybe a blessing in disguise.

Other than food though, I loved RCCL. Wish they'd increase the quality to at least that of a mid range chain restaurant.

Most meals will NOT be hot... disregard the cheerleaders having 200 years of hot food with RCI:rolleyes:

Pizza and Burgers and any fresh options in Carnival WAY better! (y)

Overall food is better on Carnival.... but you can argue over that...

Food temperature is another thing anybody telling you that more than 50% of the food is served hot on RCI is plainly lying...

RCI is a trademark for luke warm food! :D

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Most meals will NOT be hot... disregard the cheerleaders having 200 years of hot food with RCI:rolleyes:

Food temperature is another thing anybody telling you that more than 50% of the food is served hot on RCI is plainly lying... 🙄

RCI is a trademark for lukewarm food! :D

What an interesting assumption

I believe quality varies from one ship to another and from one sailing to another. It's going to depend on the on board management at the time and the people working in the galley.

On balance I am happy with the food served on RC ships. Perhaps it is because I mix it up with the odd speciality restaurant, 1 or 2 evenings in WJ and only go to MDR when the menu appeals.

Food temperature is another thing anybody telling you that more than 50% of the food is served hot on RCI is plainly lying... ��

RCI is a trademark for luke warm food! :D

I haven't been on RCL in 4 years, so have no idea what the Windjammer is like now, but Carnival's buffet is gross. Cheap dried out food, uninspired. Guy's Burgers were exceptionally unhealthy. It was a long two weeks scrounging for alternative lunch options...

Going by some of the current reviews of Royal Caribbean, not sure it's doing much better. You know things aren't right when they want $13 for Johnny Rocket, and people are willing to pay that.

I haven't been on RCL in 4 years, so have no idea what the Windjammer is like now, but Carnival's buffet is gross. Cheap dried out food, uninspired. Guy's Burgers were exceptionally unhealthy. It was a long two weeks scrounging for alternative lunch options...

Going by some of the current reviews of Royal Caribbean, not sure it's doing much better. You know things aren't right when they want $13 for Johnny Rocket, and people are willing to pay that.

So true! (y)

Love the RC MDR tutti salad bar for lunch.

Windjammer isn't as bad as many people say - I think it depends what you are looking for. I don't eat the hot, casserole-type stuff for lunch; prefer to make a sandwich out of the cold meats, cheese, salad stuff and sometimes french fries or soup. Never a problem.

Personally hate cold food, especially for MDR dinner. I do traditional dining and the first night let the waiter know ( politely and nicely) that I really don't want my dinner luke warm. Anytime if anything is not good; cold, tough, just plain don't like, have never had a problem. When people complain about their food I often wonder if they did anything to correct the problem at the time. Before it sounds like I am a foodie or overly picky - I am not! If you are polite and friendly I have found the staff to be very anxious to please.

I think most responses to questions like these will be subjective, at best - and thats not to say someone is wrong over someone's right.

I've never had in issue with any of the food served on any of my cruises with RCI (and I have not sailed with any other cruise line).

I'm not a picky eater, and am adventurous - but I've sat at tables where the person next to us would shut up over how awful it was, and I thought it was fantastic.

Your Mileage May Vary...

Had a couple of minor issues in the MDR on Brilliance - brown soggy days-old lettuce in a salad and a crabcake that I could have soled my shoe with.

Apart from that, no problems with quality or temperature. Choice, however, seemed to have reduced from previous cruises.

We sail almost exclusively on Royal now. 100% because we have elementary school aged children and we value Royals kid program. Will spend 24 nights on Royal this year, all in suites. Have come to be pretty disappointed in food on Royal. What we like are simple meals, freshly prepared, with high quality ingredients. A lot of the food on Royal nowadays seems to be cheap(er) than in the past. My idea of cruise ship dining is what we first experienced in the specialty restaurant on Celebrity Summit some years ago. I think it was called the Normandie restaurant. But even back then on Celebrity we liked the French inspired dishes in the MDR, how things were prepared table side in some cases, and how there was an actual (and knowledgeable) sommelier, for example. I suppose Royal is targeting a demographic where those things don’t matter. When our kids are grown we will not need the kids club and likely will move on to another line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family cruises Carnival and Royal about equally (and like them about equally, but for different reasons), and we prefer the food on Carnival. (I think Royal has much better premium / paid dining venue options, though).

That said, we have never had trouble finding SOMETHING that we liked to eat at each meal--and none of us have never lost weight on a cruise. :D

Edited by Laurin612

If dining is important to you, do the 5 night speciality package on Royal! It’s a bargain for sure!! We just sailed in April on HOTS and speciality dining was outstanding. Two nights in the MDR were plenty. Luke warm food, spotty service, banquet dining. Ugh. Didn’t enjoy. Wouldn’t do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk