Decisions, Decisions.....

My daughter's 21st birthday falls on June 30, 2019. We were thinking of taking her and a friend on a cruise. Can't decide on ship or dates.

First question: Allure, Symphony, or Harmony? Are there major differences between them?

2nd Question: Go during her birthday or go on a mid May or early June cruise? (mainly thinking of weather/cost) Will probably do an eastern Caribbean itinerary. She would still be able to drink in port.....

Differences in pricing as follows (total for all of us-1 interior room and 1 balcony room):

May 18th Symphony-$4465

May 19th Harmony - $3902

May 19th Allure - $2910

June 9th Harmony-$4426

June 29th Symphony - $5386

June 30th Harmony - $4866

July 7th Allure - $4196

What would you do?

I had this situation last year when we went on a cruise a couple of months before my son's 21st.

My son is not much of drinker but it was still annoying that he couldn't have an alcoholic drink on board the ship.

We were on the Allure. As my son is not into waterslides, we were fine. If your daughter is into water slides etc. then Harmony or Symphony would be better. Newer ships as well so perhaps more up to date on technology as well.

You have gone for Oasis class ships but Anthem is worth considering.

I'm not sure others can answer this for you. IMO it depends on your daughter's personality, values, and preferences. Will she care about the drinking? Is her friend already 21 (and will that matter to your daughter)? Would she be happy about you saving the $ by taking the May 19th Allure cruise? Is saving that $ meaningful to you?

These are the questions I'd be asking myself to help make a decision. There are small differences amongst the ships but I would only nitpick those after deciding on the date/cost issue.

I took my daughter for her 21 birthday and went a few days after so she could drink on board. Not a big drinker by any means but it was fun to spend "adult time" together. This was on another line, but I let them know when I booked that it was her birthday cruise and she ended up with a cake and a bottle of wine as well.

If you'd be flying to a port anyway, I second the idea of the Anthem. It doesn't quite feel as "tropical" a cruise, if that makes sense, but I think for the young adult range, there is more to do. The Music Hall is amazing and has lots going on at all times. The Seaplex is also a great place to hang out along with fly, etc. Just an idea.

There'es not really that much difference between the ships. Depending on finances and if you would prefer to go once she turns 21 I would pick either

Allure May 19th I would not pay the additional $$ for Harmony or Symphony for May

Allure July 7th or the additional $$ for June for those other ships

My daughter's 21st birthday falls on June 30, 2019. We were thinking of taking her and a friend on a cruise. Can't decide on ship or dates.

First question: Allure, Symphony, or Harmony? Are there major differences between them?

2nd Question: Go during her birthday or go on a mid May or early June cruise? (mainly thinking of weather/cost) Will probably do an eastern Caribbean itinerary. She would still be able to drink in port.....

Differences in pricing as follows (total for all of us-1 interior room and 1 balcony room):

May 18th Symphony-$4465

May 19th Harmony - $3902

May 19th Allure - $2910

June 9th Harmony-$4426

June 29th Symphony - $5386

June 30th Harmony - $4866

July 7th Allure - $4196

What would you do?

If you want a vote, mine would be for the Harmony on June 30. Take everyone to a specialty restaurant on boarding day, her birthday - there are special prices offered that day. You will see in your Cruise Planner after you book.

Had a similar situation when my son was 20. He still had a good time but it was limiting. He met some other college aged students onboard but they were 21 so it was kinda of a bummer for him.

I would select the Allure on July 7th. The Harmony and Symphony are newer ships but I don’t think they are worth the extra cost since the ships are more similar than different with the exception of the water slides. The extra $ could go towards airfare (if applicable) or drinks/ drink package or a dinner at a speciality restaurant if you don’t mind paying for additional food options.

Key question here - how old is your daughter's friend? If she is not 21 yet it would be kind of silly to pay extra and have her not be able to drink as well.

Here is a thought - are you absolutely stuck on doing this cruise right around her birthday? The reason I ask is that sometimes you can get a great cruise fare the last week of August if this works with her school schedule.

Allure has Mama Mia! which we love, plus an actual pool in the adult solarium area. Harmony only has hot tubs in the solarium - a real downer for us.