Swim trunks

july2012

Is it ok to wear basketball shorts with underwear instead of swim trunks?

My soon to be 18 year old has hated the feel of the material of swim trunks for years but I have made him wear them when on vacation or public pools.

Now for our upcoming cruise he is like no way no more I hate swim trunks!!!

Not going to make a big deal of it, but would he be allowed in the pools and hot tubs on the ship?

He's 18.

He's a man responsible for his own decisions and own fashion statements.

Don't worry about it and please don't pack for him.

Unless, of course, you paid for the cruise,,, then it would only be right, courteous, and respectful for him to act and dress according to how you want.

He needs board shorts. They look like shorts but are made for boogie boarding and swimming. Best part is, they lack that really annoying mesh stuff they put in men's swim suits. Nothing worse than the chaffing of the jewels that mesh and saltwater will give a guy. Ammirite boys? :cool:

He's 18.

He's a man responsible for his own decisions and own fashion statements.

Don't worry about it and please don't pack for him.

Unless, of course, you paid for the cruise,,, then it would only be right, courteous, and respectful for him to act and dress according to how you want.

18 in July

This cruise is his HS graduation gift

Not packing for him but was reminding him of what to pack when he told me he hated the feel of swim trunks and was not taking any!

Not something to debate about

But was wondering if he would have issues on the ship pools and hot tubs

Thanks for feedback

He does not the mesh lining or the outside nylon like material of the swim trunks

He has had in the past the board shorts but those have the same material that he does not like

Not going to overthink or worry

His choice to make

I don't see any problem at all with wearing basketball shorts vs. swim trunks. I mean, who can tell the difference anyway? He should wear what he finds to be comfortable.

I have often seen people wearing t-shirts into the pool, presumably for sun protection. Who cares? What would be the difference between a t-shirt or swim shirt (aka rashguard), or shorts vs swim trunks? Are you really analyzing the swimwear of other people to be sure it is "authentic swimwear" and not a t shirt or shorts?

As long as you aren't wearing fur into the pool which would be kind of gross, then be yourself and have fun! :)

My almost 9 year old son hates the mesh liner of swim trunks. We cut it out and he's happy. Of course, he's only almost 9 and there's not so much to contain. When you're 18, mesh basketball shorts might be a bit clingy and leave little to the imagination. But, hey, if you got the goods........ :o :') :cool:

He needs board shorts. They look like shorts but are made for boogie boarding and swimming. Best part is, they lack that really annoying mesh stuff they put in men's swim suits. Nothing worse than the chaffing of the jewels that mesh and saltwater will give a guy. Ammirite boys? :cool:

That's exactly what my son wears!!! He can't stand those nets inside shorts.

I guess I am one of the few that loves the mesh insides. That is of course, as long as it fits right. So comfortable. So unrestricted.

I absolutely despise wet underwear. I can think of fewer things less comfortable. It also takes forever to dry.

Kind of disgusting to wear underwear in the pool, which is why pools don't like it, but he's a grown man now, so I guess he gets to make the decision.

The pools are already pretty disgusting, so what's one more thing?

Not an issue at all. I saw it a lot on our last cruise. People wear their suits all day and go in the water. Same thing.

Just a tip, if he starts to chafe or get a rash in the swim suit area, stick deodorant helps a lot.

There are reasons not to wear anything made of cotton in a pool--1) the fibers tend to clog the pool filters (resulting in a dirty pool); 2) cotton can retain detergents and other chemicals which are released into the pool causing it to become tainted and 3) wet cotton can weigh down a swimmer making it harder for them to safely stay afloat.

Now, having said that, basketball shorts are likely polyester or some sort of microfiber, so the above reasons would not apply. (But he really shouldn't wear any cotton underwear.) However, even if your son's BB shorts were cotton, I don't think anyone on the Carnival staff would keep him out of a pool or hot tub. But he certainly would not be allowed in MY pool and spa!;p

:') Speaking of wet jeans I have seen men swimming in the pool on a Carnival ship with cut off jeans and no one said a word.I think many men wear under wear and shorts rather then swim trunks.