Coffee in MDR

Hi folks,

What coffee do you ask for in the Main Dining Room that is the normal 'free' coffee? I can't see the point of paying for coffee when the free coffee tastes just as good :)

Hi folks,

What coffee do you ask for in the Main Dining Room that is the normal 'free' coffee? I can't see the point of paying for coffee when the free coffee tastes just as good :)

I guess it depends how particular you are about your coffee. I get the Refreshment package and the premium coffee is included.

The MDR coffee is OK, but I much prefer the premium coffees personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi folks,

In the MDR if you just ask for coffee you will get the free coffee. No need to be specific.

I think the MDR coffee is 100% better than the WJ coffee. Room service isn't bad, either. I've NEVER paid for coffee on any cruise. For 1 week, you can "make do". I find the buffet coffee really, REALLY strong....so I add a bit of water, then sugar and cream. Not great, but drinkable.

Just curious. If you’re in the MDR, and have the delux drink or refreshment package, how do you ask for specialty coffee over the regular stuff? How about WJ?

You say something like: latte, cappucino, espresso, etc.

I think the MDR coffee is 100% better than the WJ coffee. Room service isn't bad, either. I've NEVER paid for coffee on any cruise. For 1 week, you can "make do". I find the buffet coffee really, REALLY strong....so I add a bit of water, then sugar and cream. Not great, but drinkable.

When I’m spending thousands of dollars on a vacation I like to enjoy it, not “make do”. It’s not a camping trip. For us, part of a good vacation is good coffee, bottled water and as much soda as we want. For others, part of a good vacation is paying extra for the upscale restaurants onboard. For many on these boards a good vacation is going from bar to bar drinking alcohol from morning till night, while to us non-drinkers that seems boring. For some people no cruise is complete without a massage at the spa. To each their own.

Just curious. If you’re in the MDR, and have the delux drink or refreshment package, how do you ask for specialty coffee over the regular stuff? How about WJ?

You ask for what you want and show them your card that has the drink package sticker on it.

You say something like: latte, cappucino, espresso, etc.

Thanks. I sort of figured that for items like that.

I’m plain and simple, I love a good cup of coffee (not latte, espresso, etc). Is there a difference between the cup of coffee I’ll get if I have the drink package vs not having it?

I’m plain and simple, I love a good cup of coffee (not latte, espresso, etc). Is there a difference between the cup of coffee I’ll get if I have the drink package vs not having it?

No. Just order a coffee. It's regular coffee. It's "fine". Don't be duped by people saying you need a package for a cup of regular coffee. A lot of people believe anything that costs more is automatically better and the free option is bad. Try it, it's plain coffee. Never had an issue with it to where I felt I needed to spend more.

Your drink package only includes espresso based coffee drinks. There's no "upgraded" brewed coffee. So if you want something close to regular brewed coffee from the specialty coffee venue, try asking for an Americano.

absolutely. the specialty coffee( and yes you can get a plain black coffee under the drink package that is not the 'free' stuff) is a lot fresher, and better beans. the free stuff is from a liquid concentrate that sucks, although the MDR version is slightly more palatable. or, if you have access to any of the lounges, get your coffee from the machines there as it grinds the beans to order.

that being said: those ships that have a dedicated Starbucks kiosk: those options are NOT covered under the packages. the other ships that just have a coffee bar may serve Starbucks( or Seattle's Best) beans it is included.

I think it depends on your preference. I like to think I'm not picky but did not enjoy the WJ coffee at all on the Adventure. For me, at the very least, I get the coffee card for the specialty coffee.

When I’m spending thousands of dollars on a vacation I like to enjoy it, not “make do”. It’s not a camping trip. For us, part of a good vacation is good coffee, bottled water and as much soda as we want. For others, part of a good vacation is paying extra for the upscale restaurants onboard. For many on these boards a good vacation is going from bar to bar drinking alcohol from morning till night, while to us non-drinkers that seems boring. For some people no cruise is complete without a massage at the spa. To each their own.

exactly!!! well said!!!

Been cruising since 1974. I believe that when a ship "dies" and goes to the scrap yard, the one thing that is salvaged and put on another ship is the coffee pot. There is no such thing as a good cup of coffee on a ship! Thus the success of the specialty coffee shops on all cruise lines.

You can get a cappuccino or espresso in the MDR, but not the other specialty coffee drinks.

Hi folks,

When in the main dining room & you would like a cup of complimentary coffee, simply request (a cup of coffee). You will receive a regular cup of complimentary coffee that is included with your cruise fare.

:cool:

I’ve gotten many other specialty coffees in he MDR

That's great to hear! It has been a couple of years since I sailed on an RC ship, but in the past I have only been able to get regular coffee, cappuccino or espresso in the MDR.

yes I agree. No matter what ship I go on, I do a 90% coffee and 10% water mixture.

For me I wish they would at least have some flavored coffees or Vanilla creamer. I guess that is asking for too much. But they do have 20 flavors of hot tea for goodness sakes

absolutely. the specialty coffee( and yes you can get a plain black coffee under the drink package that is not the 'free' stuff) is a lot fresher, and better beans. the free stuff is from a liquid concentrate that sucks, although the MDR version is slightly more palatable. or, if you have access to any of the lounges, get your coffee from the machines there as it grinds the beans to order.

that being said: those ships that have a dedicated Starbucks kiosk: those options are NOT covered under the packages. the other ships that just have a coffee bar may serve Starbucks( or Seattle's Best) beans it is included.

Royal Caribbean does not have specialty brewed coffee, they only have espresso based specialty coffees. None of the coffee, free or otherwise, is made with liquid concentrate.

Royal Caribbean does not have specialty brewed coffee, they only have espresso based specialty coffees. None of the coffee, free or otherwise, is made with liquid concentrate.

Agree, you can watch the grounds being put into the urns. I am not aware of an upscale cup of regular coffee. Please tell me about this..........

Princess uses the liquid concentrate, or at least they did at one time.

I've had the Deluxe drink package on the last two cruises and for the upcoming one, I'm not purchasing it. We're Diamond but I never used the lounge for coffee in the morning. I didn't have any problem with the coffee in the MDR. I need regular coffee in the mornings. Just lots of plain, black, coffee. I buy a drink or two in the ports. Sometimes it's a water or a soda and they're cheaper than I can buy one at a gas station at home, and the beer is cheaper than the bars at home so I don't need the Refreshment package. With the days in port, two bottles of wine I bring, 3 drinks a night on my Seapass or free drinks in the Diamond lounge, I do just fine with a frozen drink once or twice a day. I get the soda package because I do drink Diet Coke out by the pool, but I usually prefer to have tea or coffee with dinner. Everyone has different expectations on a cruise. That's why the choices work out well.