Princess Dining Room Dress Code Questions

Wpooh1968

We are seasoned cruisers but this will be our first Princess cruise. Headed to Alaska and have heard there is a more relaxed dress code. We are mostly jean wearers but it sounds like on formal night, we won't be able to wear jeans at even buffet. Is that true? On non-formal nights, can clean, neat jeans be worn in dining rooms? I have to wear lace shoes for a brace, are those allowed in dining rooms for dinner?

We will be travelling for 17 days and don't want to pack dressy attire and shoes for one or two nights.

Thanks much

• Like 1

Jeans are always ok except on formal nights. I wear them all the time in dining room. The buffet is always casual so jeans are always ok. You might be thinking the ship has a suggestion on formal nights for every where but Princess does not. The suggested dress attire is only for in the main dining room and doesn't apply to the specialty restaurants either.

• Like 1

Jeans are always ok except on formal nights. I wear them all the time in dining room. The buffet is always casual so jeans are always ok. You might be thinking the ship has a suggestion on formal nights for every where but Princess does not. The suggested dress attire is only for in the main dining room and doesn't apply to the specialty restaurants either.

Thank you. I figured I was reading too much into the "code"

We are seasoned cruisers but this will be our first Princess cruise. Headed to Alaska and have heard there is a more relaxed dress code. We are mostly jean wearers but it sounds like on formal night, we won't be able to wear jeans at even buffet. Is that true? On non-formal nights, can clean, neat jeans be worn in dining rooms? I have to wear lace shoes for a brace, are those allowed in dining rooms for dinner?

We will be travelling for 17 days and don't want to pack dressy attire and shoes for one or two nights.

Thanks much

Jeans and other casual dress like shorts can be worn anytime day or evening in the buffet.

In the DR on smart casual nights you can wear jeans or any type of pants usually with a nice shirt. On formal nights you will find many men in jacket and tie, some in tux, some with shirt & tie, no jacket, some jacket and no tie, some pants, shirt w/o tie. There is no specific restriction against jeans, but you may be turned away if your jeans are torn and ripped.

Specialty Dining is smart casual every evening.

• Like 1

First, in terms of packing for 17 days, there is a self service laundry on board. $3 to wash, $3 to dry, $1.50 for products or bring your own. It's cheaper than an extra suitcase!

Secondly, other than shorts or ripped jeans, almost anything is accepted in the dining rooms, even on "formal" night. We define it a "wear the best thing you brought" night when I have teens or 20s with me. Yes, they know that making a bit of an effort is expected, but I'll tolerate my guys in dockers and a decent shirt. The girls like to dress! People will wear anything from tux to suit coats (with or without tie) to what I consider casual but it is allowed. Alaska does tend to be more casual than other cruises.

As above, the buffet and the specialty restaurants are "smart casual" on all evenings, so if your package includes a free specialty dining, this is the night you might want to use it.

• Like 1

Thanks much

Jeans in the MDR is up to the discretion of the head waiter. I've seen people wearing jeans be turned away from the MDR especially on formal nights.

Tidy jeans are just fine in the dining rooms except on formal nights. And are fine in other dining venues throughout the ship. Also, with an Alaskan itinerary you will see a whole lot of them. What is actually allowed in the fixed seating and anytime dining rooms on formal nights is very much a function of the Maitre d' and Head Waiter in each dining room, but it is safest to at least wear a dress shirt, tie and slacks. You will be fine anytime anywhere with the footwear you need. Enjoy your Alaskan cruise.

• Like 1

Jeans in the MDR is up to the discretion of the head waiter. I've seen people wearing jeans be turned away from the MDR especially on formal nights.

That must have been many, many years ago as Princess has allowed jeans on casual nights for quite a while now.

Even today, they would have to be in pretty bad shape to be rejected considering the condition of some I have seen.

About the only reason for rejection is having holes or tears.

That must have been many, many years ago as Princess has allowed jeans on casual nights for quite a while now.

Even today, they would have to be in pretty bad shape to be rejected considering the condition of some I have seen.

About the only reason for rejection is having holes or tears.

Last year on a cruise to Alaska.

May 5-12/18 Sapphire Princess cruise I saw 2 men being turned away from entering MDR without a jacket on formal night. So, on that ship the dress code was being enforced.

May 5-12/18 Sapphire Princess cruise I saw 2 men being turned away from entering MDR without a jacket on formal night. So, on that ship the dress code was being enforced.

Never seen it and I never will......I am sure it was something more then no jacket because my father never wears a jacket on formal nights after 43 Princess cruises and never has been turned a way????

• Like 1

Last year on a cruise to Alaska.

Must have been someone's first day on the job. Jeans in good repair worn in the MDR on non formal nights on Alaska cruises is as common as seeing mountains on your journey that have snow.

First' date=' in terms of packing for 17 days, there is a self service laundry on board. $3 to wash, $3 to dry, $1.50 for products or bring your own. It's cheaper than an extra suitcase!

Secondly, other than shorts or ripped jeans, almost anything is accepted in the dining rooms, even on "formal" night. We define it a "wear the best thing you brought" night when I have teens or 20s with me. Yes, they know that making a bit of an effort is expected, but I'll tolerate my guys in dockers and a decent shirt. The girls like to dress! People will wear anything from tux to suit coats (with or without tie) to what I consider casual but it is allowed. Alaska does tend to be more casual than other cruises.

As above, the buffet and the specialty restaurants are "smart casual" on all evenings, so if your package includes a free specialty dining, this is the night you might want to use it.[/quote']

Thank you. Plan on doing some laundry anyway and this is all very helpful. I think if my husband wears a nice pair of jeans, unfaded, a collared shirt and tie, he will be fine. I like to dress up a little more. :-)

Never seen it and I never will......I am sure it was something more then no jacket because my father never wears a jacket on formal nights after 43 Princess cruises and never has been turned a way????

No, it was not something else. I was right beside them as they were sent away. Staff said, " You need to be wearing a jacket." This was my first time out of 14 Princess cruises to see this enforced.

No, it was not something else. I was right beside them as they were sent away. Staff said, " You need to be wearing a jacket." This was my first time out of 14 Princess cruises to see this enforced.

We have seen it enforced before too.... partner and I just did the coastal on the Grand Princess and we wore Dockers on one of the formal nights and had no problems all. Others did too. Dockers or nice slacks and dress shirt and tie take up very little room in a suit case. We are actually glad HAL and Princess still push formal nights. There always the buffet other wise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Considering that Princess has it in all of their literature and dress codes that jeans that are not torn and without holes are permitted in the MDR on casual nights, it’s not exactly left up the discretion of the head waiter or Maitre d.

We would never consider jeans in MDR or speciality on a formal night on any cruise line. Thanks for your answers.

The speciality restaurants are casual every night so jeans are permitted when it’s formal night in the MDR.

Obviously a newbie on Princess.

After their first confrontation with someone who actually knows what is acceptable in the dining room they won't do it again.