No more Coffee Cards

LARGIN

I haven't been able to find that in the package description.....can someone point me to it?

If the Princess system can add it to your card on board, I wonder why they can't add it to your card within 3 days of sailing?

IMG_4231.thumb.JPG.cb00c4f310f52eaee0f17c19b5fb777c.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Princess responded to me on their Facebook page saying you can buy as many specialty coffees as you wish (up to the 15) with the new package system so there’s no worries about sharing that way. Phew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

200 post thread upcoming - talk about BREAKING NEWS...if proven true...

gets beer...popcorn on hold for now

official notification ?

We're almost there, better get some more beer ;p.

Theo

I had asked a question about coffee cards the other day and Moki's Mommy was kind enough to answer me quickly. Now? I see (and have read) the "terms and conditions" of the "so-called" coffee card and I can't help but wonder why ANYONE would want to purchase one of these. My Lord - there are more "terms and conditions" for simple coffee than there were when I bought my first house years ago.

I don't understand the ideology here. It is a little unnerving - this being our first (and probably last) cruise…Shoot, I've never seen so damned many rules and regulations in all my life :)

Well, I look at it this way - I had intended to purchase the coffee card simply for the brewed coffee since most claim that the "regular" coffee is horrendous. Won't be doing that now. It's a 7 day cruise to Alaska. I can stomach the "free" coffee for a week I guess. Not really a good way to encourage "repeat" business from first timers, however.

Once you're familiar with the rules, they don't seem so onerous or numerous. Have patience.

DH thinks the buffet coffee tastes like instant Taster's Choice. He's "addicted" to Hazelnut creamer, so brings a bottle on the cruise (the size of the bottle varies with the length of the cruise). I think with that creamer any coffee would taste OK to him.

You can also bring your own instant coffee and order hot water from room service (no charge, but a tip is nice) or get hot water from any location that has it (almost everywhere).

Well' date=' IMHO the biggest thing that needs to be put back is that the mini bar is good for 2 coffee cards, whether electronic or paper. The concept of 2 elites or guests in a suite having to choose which ONE gets the perk really isn't fair and doesn't compare with the cost of a mini-bar.YES!! If we booked 2 cabins, we'd both get the mini-bar.

I can live with the concept that perk cards expire at the end of the cruise. I don't like it, but it is tolerable. But if you bought the card, the punches should continue to be valid. Otherwise, they won't sell any coffee cards on short cruises! Princess made a bad decision all around. This could have been much better thought through prior to instituting the changes.

Good point! On a 4 day cruise, a coffee punch would cost approximately $8.75 if you had one cup a day.

In case anyone on this thread hasn’t seen it....Princess Facebook has also confirmed 2 new coffee packages will be given per minibar exchange. So all hair fires can now be put out. :)

If you are in a suite or if you are an elite level Captain's Club member' date=' you get a mini-bar set up in your room. As of yesterday, you could trade your mini-bar for 2 coffee cards (great for those who don't drink alcohol!). A poster above stated that they are now giving only one coffee card for the mini-bar, which makes little sense given the replacement cost of the mini-bar items and the fact that you probably have at least 2 people in the suite.

There is NO confirmation that I can locate as to what the mini-bar exchange deal is now.[/quote'] How many punches on the old coffee card? I feel sure it wasn't 15.

The new system is so much better. If you like coffee and find it an important part of your cruise vacation, $35 is a deal.

Not really a good deal.

Previously you could buy one card and share the 15 punches. So on a 7 day cruise, two people could get specialty coffee each day and leave one punch unused.

With the new system where the card is now a part of the cruise card, the implication is that if your photo that shows up when the card is processed does not match you, you cannot purchase the drink.

So two people would need to purchase two packages, use 14 of the 30 "punches" over the 7 days and then in effect throw away the remaining 16 "punches" since they will be not usable once that cruise ends.

So in effect a doubling of the price for the 14 specialty coffees used.

Princess responded to me on their Facebook page saying you can buy as many specialty coffees as you wish (up to the 15) with the new package system so there’s no worries about sharing that way. Phew!

But how do you share the "punch" if you are not with the person who has the cruise card with the package on it when you want to get your specialty coffee? With the coffee card, you could just take the coffee card with you. With the package on a cruise card, will they let you get the specialty coffee using another person's cruise card?

That option at Gelato’s on the Royal & Regal ended several months ago & now cost $3.50.

Thank you for responding. My husband and I only use the card for regular coffee and for premium tea....it was very nice being able to use the punches for dessert. Will likely just pay as we go then.

Thank you for responding. My husband and I only use the card for regular coffee and for premium tea....it was very nice being able to use the punches for dessert. Will likely just pay as we go then.

We began splitting one sundae because they were so filling & didn’t want to make a meal out of it. ;)

With so many frozen desserts (ice cream, gelato, sorbet, sherbet) options each night in the MDR, we get our fill there. And none of the Princess gelato compares favorably to what we’ve had in Italy.

But how do you share the "punch" if you are not with the person who has the cruise card with the package on it when you want to get your specialty coffee? With the coffee card, you could just take the coffee card with you. With the package on a cruise card, will they let you get the specialty coffee using another person's cruise card?

I’m sure an exception will be made for people with mobility issues. However in those cases just have the package put on the more mobile person’s card and then buy 2.

If I’m paying for a limited quantity, I should be able to share. If I buy a water package to have 12 bottles of water delivered to my stateroom, can I not share those either?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's the same with the beverage package... Up to 15 per day. As long as I stay under 15 a day, I should be able to give them away? People on here rail against the constantly, say it's "stealing" but this everyone seems on board with. Not sure I see the difference.

It's the same with the beverage package... Up to 15 per day. As long as I stay under 15 a day, I should be able to give them away? People on here rail against the constantly, say it's "stealing" but this everyone seems on board with. Not sure I see the difference.

It’s amazing that this is hard concept to understand. The current card you can share between people in a group. No matter what, once the 15 are gone, they we’re gone. If you want more, you buy a new card.

The beverage packages are different because the number resets each day. If you share a drink with someone (which we don’t), it really has no effect on you unless you actually drink the limit each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NO. With the water package, you have a fixed number of water bottles--yes, you can give them away. With the coffee package, you have a fixed number of specialty coffees--total 15 for the cruise. Again, fixed number, doesn't matter who drinks them.

In contrast, the PBP is clearly stated everywhere that it is for ONE person and is "UP TO 15 alcoholic beverages" + unlimited non-alcohol. That 15 re-sets each day. The idea is that one person can have as much as he chooses to drink up to the max of 15. Since the typical alcoholic beverage on Princess is about $10-12 including the gratuity, they clearly don't intend to sell you $150 in alcohol + as much non-alcohol as you wish (including all the specialty punch drinks) for $68. It would be different if they sold the beverage package as 75 alcoholic beverages on a 7 night cruise. Then, you'd have a fixed number and should be able to share.

NO. With the water package' date=' you have a fixed number of water bottles--yes, you can give them away. With the coffee package, you have a fixed number of specialty coffees--total 15 for the cruise. Again, fixed number, doesn't matter who drinks them.

In contrast, the PBP is clearly stated everywhere that it is for ONE person and is "UP TO 15 alcoholic beverages" + unlimited non-alcohol. That 15 re-sets each day. The idea is that one person can have as much as he chooses to drink up to the max of 15. Since the typical alcoholic beverage on Princess is about $10-12 including the gratuity, they clearly don't intend to sell you $150 in alcohol + as much non-alcohol as you wish (including all the specialty punch drinks) for $68. It would be different if they sold the beverage package as 75 alcoholic beverages on a 7 night cruise. Then, you'd have a fixed number and should be able to share.[/quote']

Wow…this topic has been going strong!

OK - My take. The "soda and more" package says the same thing. It is for ONE person. It is for the person that purchases. OK. Got it.

So I will head to the nearest fountain and fill my cup with soda. I will then, take it back to my room and either drink it myself (which is what will happen 95% of the time) or I will share the drink with DW. I paid for the package. I will do with it what I want. It may not (technically) fall within the "rules". However, I paid for it. It has been purchased. I will do with it what I want. It is MY property. :D

What is the worst they will do to me on the ship? The Brig? Half rations? :) Walk the plank?

Wow…this topic has been going strong!

OK - My take. The "soda and more" package says the same thing. It is for ONE person. It is for the person that purchases. OK. Got it.

So I will head to the nearest fountain and fill my cup with soda. I will then, take it back to my room and either drink it myself (which is what will happen 95% of the time) or I will share the drink with DW. I paid for the package. I will do with it what I want. It may not (technically) fall within the "rules". However, I paid for it. It has been purchased. I will do with it what I want. It is MY property. :D

What is the worst they will do to me on the ship? The Brig? Half rations? :) Walk the plank?

Well....it’s been stated previously that being caught sharing results in you still paying for the entire package for the length of the cruise but they remove it from your account so you can’t use it anymore AND charge you individually for all the drinks previously credited to your drink package. So there’s that to consider....if you’re thinking about sharing.

What happens inside your own cabin is up to you but it’s definitely an ‘effort’ to keep going back to the room to share a drink. Some will do it however...

(Note there’s no self serve fountains on Princess for pop. I know some other cruise lines do have that, however.)

Well....it’s been stated previously that being caught sharing results in you still paying for the entire package for the length of the cruise but they remove it from your account so you can’t use it anymore AND charge you individually for all the drinks previously credited to your drink package. So there’s that to consider....if you’re thinking about sharing.

What happens inside your own cabin is up to you but it’s definitely an ‘effort’ to keep going back to the room to share a drink. Some will do it however...

(Note there’s no self serve fountains on Princess for pop. I know some other cruise lines do have that, however.)

Geez……And I thought the they would send me to the Principals office :eek:

Not really a good deal.

Previously you could buy one card and share the 15 punches. So on a 7 day cruise, two people could get specialty coffee each day and leave one punch unused.

With the new system where the card is now a part of the cruise card, the implication is that if your photo that shows up when the card is processed does not match you, you cannot purchase the drink.

So two people would need to purchase two packages, use 14 of the 30 "punches" over the 7 days and then in effect throw away the remaining 16 "punches" since they will be not usable once that cruise ends.

So in effect a doubling of the price for the 14 specialty coffees used.

This was the response from Princess on their official FB page:

“Hi, Brent. You can get more than one specialty coffee at a time with the new coffee package until you've used all 15.”

This was the response from Princess on their official FB page:

“Hi, Brent. You can get more than one specialty coffee at a time with the new coffee package until you've used all 15.”

We always have been able to get more than one specialty coffee at a time with the card but each is one punch.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

We always have been able to get more than one specialty coffee at a time with the card but each is one punch.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

Yes but the concern was that it would be a similar rule to the full drink package which is ‘1 drink at a time & no sharing’. I’m very happy to hear the new coffee package is different. I would actually love it if they would change the drink package to ‘x drinks per day’ or ‘per cruise’ and then allow sharing.

My vote would be get rid of mini bars except in suites. All elites get 3 or 4 drinks(their choice) per day included on their cruise card.

That way everyone is happy..if they do not use them that day they lose them.

That's what RCL has, 3 drinks loaded onto your card daily. Princess is getting to be cheap skates while they continue to raise prices. The more inclusive lines are definitely starting to be more appealing to more people.