So my 17 year old got something well deserved from Carnival...

BQ93

Wow, that is rough, but understandable. I do not envy being in your position.

I have a question, and it is one of those things that you wouldn't "need to know," but do you happen to know if the other kids involved received a similar consequence? I know it doesn't change the situation at all, but I would be curious.

Either way, best of luck with the whole situation.

I don’t know if Carnival will lift the ban but in time I certainly hope they do. I’m sorry you had to go through that. Like other posters stated, teenagers do really dumb stuff. You are not alone. I’ve got 3 sons and my middle one really did some stupid stuff that cost him and us money, aggravation and lots of stress. Even if he pays a consequence he may still do another stupid thing but just stay strong. That’s why parenting is the hardest job on the planet. I hope it all works out for him and your family!

What is the consequence? Lol. He can't sail Carnival anymore? That's a "harsh" consequence. Just book a different line, it's not like there aren't plenty of alternative options.

What is the consequence? Lol. He can't sail Carnival anymore? That's a "harsh" consequence. Just book a different line, it's not like there aren't plenty of alternative options.

It may not be as easy as it sounds. Don't cruiselines share the banned list of pax??

It’s gatekeeping here at cruise critic. Gotta have thousands of posts for people to take you seriously.

I guess I have to take your observation with a grain of salt as you lack the necessary post count to be taken seriously. :)

As someone who works in hospitality/tourism and often is involved in handling guest "situations" (both good/bad/intentional), I would suggest that IF you attempt to have this ban lifted, you do so after a year has passed, and you can explain that your son has been responsible since then. If the incident happened just recently, they certainly aren't going to change their minds that quickly.

I would also suggest that you just simply cut ties with Carnival as far as your son is concerned. You do know that EVEN IF he were allowed to get back onboard one of their ships, he will always have a note in his file re: the incident. So, if anything else happens, they may take harsher action. And, if he were to ever complain about anything (poor service, maintenance issue in cabin), they will see the past note in his file and be less likely to go above and beyond to assist him.

CeleBrat

.. he was banned - for life:o. :o:o:o:oIt was well deserved. He was hanging out with some older kids and they convinced him to remove the smoke detector from the room so they could vape. No excuses here - I've never been more mortified.

Problem is cruising is what we do. The Ms.and I are well on the way to platinum and he would have been gold on the next cruise which we already had scheduled. The head of security said he had no discretion and the same consequences would have happened even if my son were only 10 years old or so, but that given the circumstances he and his second in command had written very favorable reports (my son told them exactly what happened, we were very harsh on him for the remainder of the cruise, etc.) and encouraged us to appeal in light of the circumstances and his age.

So my question is if anyone has ever dealt with this and a teenager? Again no excuses as many people could have been killed, but does anyone have any idea of the likelihood of an appeal being granted? FWIW I will not ask for him. If he wants to ever cruise with us again he is going to have to take the initiative himself.

Time to start cruising another line, I doubt they'll reverse the decision.

He's lucky it didn't get referred to law enforcement.

It might be harsher than they think. Usually when people are banned, they are banned from every line under the corporate umbrella. Of course there are still other choices, but that cuts a lot of them out when its Carnival.

I agree that it SHOULD teach him a lesson. Harsh I know - but I have always told them life is hard, and it's harder when you are stupid. ��

I'm with you on that. We have a son who couldn't travel out of the country with us for his uncle's wedding because of the stupidness he engaged in last year, and he won't be able to go on any cruises with us if we take one this year. Oh, well. Live and learn. It is definitely cheaper. We only need one room! Yeah!

Vaping won't set off a "smoke" detector. It's vapor, not smoke!

Please look up the definition of vapor. Someone vaping under a smoke detector probably would set off the alarm.

In any case, the removal of the alarm probably lit a light up on a control panel somewhere that caused an immediate response to determine the problem.

.. he was banned - for life:o. :o:o:o:oIt was well deserved. He was hanging out with some older kids and they convinced him to remove the smoke detector from the room so they could vape. No excuses here - I've never been more mortified.

Problem is cruising is what we do. The Ms.and I are well on the way to platinum and he would have been gold on the next cruise which we already had scheduled. The head of security said he had no discretion and the same consequences would have happened even if my son were only 10 years old or so, but that given the circumstances he and his second in command had written very favorable reports (my son told them exactly what happened, we were very harsh on him for the remainder of the cruise, etc.) and encouraged us to appeal in light of the circumstances and his age.

So my question is if anyone has ever dealt with this and a teenager? Again no excuses as many people could have been killed, but does anyone have any idea of the likelihood of an appeal being granted? FWIW I will not ask for him. If he wants to ever cruise with us again he is going to have to take the initiative himself.

Thank you for being a parent!

Not the moral of the story, but it's very likely cruise ships use different style smoke alarms than are common on shore. Photo-based smoke alarms will trip with vape. In any event, I vape in my cabin and have never set off the alarm. But I don't have a setup that blows huge clouds either.

Not the moral of the story, but it's very likely cruise ships use different style smoke alarms than are common on shore. Photo-based smoke alarms will trip with vape. In any event, I vape in my cabin and have never set off the alarm. :')r.

So I guess you're OK violating Carnival's smoking policies: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3489/~/smoking-policy-frequently-asked-questions

First, you have ten posts to your history and you joined in 2007. Wow.

Now, here's where I and others that will follow want to jump all over your son for his behavior. This wasn't a one thing incident. Vaping in the room is a strong signal, vaping at all is a concern at his age or any age. Older kids and others will challenge him in the future. Vape devices don't set off smoke detectors. Are you curious about this? Did you visit the room where this happened?

Vape devices most certainly DO set off the smoke detectors - at least mine did on the Vista. Learned my lesson. Only vape in the public smoking approved areas now (which is what I SHOULD have been doing in the first place). Fun Fact - if you vape in your interior cabin on the Vista, you will have a ringing phone and security at your door in under sixty seconds!

It might be harsher than they think. Usually when people are banned, they are banned from every line under the corporate umbrella. Of course there are still other choices, but that cuts a lot of them out when its Carnival.

If sailing Carnival, they obviously enjoy mass market lines. You still have Disney, Royal, NCL, and MSC. This is hardly a deterrent from cruising in any way.

Oh I assure you it is true, and not offended by the 10 posts thing at all.

He was in a room with his brother across the hall from us. They told us they could drop him off at the next port but they would not. They did interview all the other kids but did not tell us who they were or their consequences (although Indid see one mad mama leaving the security office) - in fact they didn't tell us he would be banned until we were disembarking. They pulled us into the security office and made him sign a letter. They did verify to us that it was a vape and they had found it with one of the older kids. I know what weed smells like and due to the hasty response of the crew I was standing in his cabin less than 10 minutes after they removed the smoke alarm. No weed.

I can assure you I will not try to get him off and he will not be sailing with us as a dependent again (he's 17 so not much of that left). If he decided to pursue it I will write him a letter, but that's it. I was just curious to see if anyone had any experience with a teenager in this situation.

FWIW I am not upset with Carnival at all. I am relieved to see how quickly they responded and how serious they are about our safety. We will continue to cruise Carnival - my Christmas cruise will just be a little cheaper.😊

I just want to say that, especially in this day of "don't say boo to my precious snowflake" that I'm very impressed with your parenting, not that my opinion means anything lol, but as the mother of 6 kids, ages 17, 15, 14, 13, 11, and 10, it's refreshing to see a great parent knowing that these kids are our future. So kuddos and keep up the great work!

Boys are dumb as stumps.

It is amazing that they even live to maturity.

If you decide to take this kid on another cruise, I would insist on a connecting cabin so that you can make a big show of keeping tabs on him.

But do you really want to leave him home alone?

Sorry to hear about this. While he is responsible for his actions.... Peer pressure at that age can be really intense.

I'm sure he's a good kid who just did a dumb thing. Hopefully he learns from this experience and it all ends on a positive note. And that he can get the ban lifted later on if he wants to go again someday. Goodness knows I did much dumber things when I was young.