So my 17 year old got something well deserved from Carnival...

BQ93

.. he was banned - for life:o. :o:o:o:oIt was well deserved. He was hanging out with some older kids and they convinced him to remove the smoke detector from the room so they could vape. No excuses here - I've never been more mortified.

Problem is cruising is what we do. The Ms.and I are well on the way to platinum and he would have been gold on the next cruise which we already had scheduled. The head of security said he had no discretion and the same consequences would have happened even if my son were only 10 years old or so, but that given the circumstances he and his second in command had written very favorable reports (my son told them exactly what happened, we were very harsh on him for the remainder of the cruise, etc.) and encouraged us to appeal in light of the circumstances and his age.

So my question is if anyone has ever dealt with this and a teenager? Again no excuses as many people could have been killed, but does anyone have any idea of the likelihood of an appeal being granted? FWIW I will not ask for him. If he wants to ever cruise with us again he is going to have to take the initiative himself.

.. he was banned - for life:o. :o:o:o:oIt was well deserved. He was hanging out with some older kids and they convinced him to remove the smoke detector from the room so they could vape. No excuses here - I've never been more mortified.

Problem is cruising is what we do. The Ms.and I are well on the way to platinum and he would have been gold on the next cruise which we already had scheduled. The head of security said he had no discretion and the same consequences would have happened even if my son were only 10 years old or so, but that given the circumstances he and his second in command had written very favorable reports (my son told them exactly what happened, we were very harsh on him for the remainder of the cruise, etc.) and encouraged us to appeal in light of the circumstances and his age.

So my question is if anyone has ever dealt with this and a teenager? Again no excuses as many people could have been killed, but does anyone have any idea of the likelihood of an appeal being granted? FWIW I will not ask for him. If he wants to ever cruise with us again he is going to have to take the initiative himself.

Sorry this happened to your son, and for the affects it will have on your family. It sounds like he's learned a valuable life lesson. I'm sure we all made stupid teenager mistakes. It's part of growing up. I don't think I've ever read anything here about something like this or being able to get past it.

obviously a very different situation but at least it shows that a ban can be reversed. They used the media to get it reversed but at least we know its not impossible

https://www.squaremouth.com/travel-advice/banned-for-life-from-carnival-cruise-lines-wrongly-accused-of-cabin-damage-squaremouth’s-ceo-speaks-out-about-family’s-ordeal/

Have you raised a boy teen? They are stupid. Lol

I would maybe let him take a year off from carnival and then let him try if he wants to.

My dumb 20 year old son got in civic trouble recently for something so stupid, even he can’t get over how stupid he was. So no judgement from me!

First, you have ten posts to your history and you joined in 2007. Wow.

Do this. Think about a response versus a reaction. Let me give you an example. If a doctor told you a loved one had a reaction to a medicine you'd be alarmed. If the word choice was response then you'd think different.

Look at the timeline from when the incident happened and give it a week or two. Then organize your thoughts, call in and speak to a customer service supervisor. They don't need to hear if you are gold, platinum or aluminum, just let them do 60-70% of the talking. Get your calendar and review the dates of your past cruises with your son. When appropriate share the times he cruised with your family without incident. Do this carefully.

Carnival uses things like this for risk reduction. Their model has proven effective in reducing the amount of problems onboard the fleet. Understand you are asking a company to change their minds. No is one of the answers you can get, and I'd say they have a stronger chance to say no versus yes.

Now, here's where I and others that will follow want to jump all over your son for his behavior. This wasn't a one thing incident. Vaping in the room is a strong signal, vaping at all is a concern at his age or any age. Older kids and others will challenge him in the future. Vape devices don't set off smoke detectors. Are you curious about this? Did you visit the room where this happened?

Doing thing(s) willfully against the policies of the host, or at the very least being guilty by association can be costly. The scrutiny given to him might be best continued on land.

I'm 59, I did some stupid things. I'm sorry for all of those I got caught doing and am sorry for those I didn't. I was lucky to have emerged alive, unscathed and no criminal record. I'm also really, really blessed. For twenty-eight years I've been involved in CCE (Catholic Sunday School) for high schoolers and Life Teen. I've listened and watched as an Eagle Scout went to the penitentiary. It's a different world in 2018.

Change his habits completely for accountability and watch his friends close. If they were caught would their parents say "our child was hanging out with the wrong people."

Good luck. I'm glad ours is 28 and a CPA. She was an easy child to raise!

Edited by BallFour4

I am so sorry this happened to your family Unfortunately teenagers so often don't seem to comprehend the consequences of the things they do. I would agree with others who say wait a little, get your head together on how to approach it and let him approach them. They might just be impressed if he is able to maturely convince them of his regret. Worth a shot.

Eventually I feel confident you can get the ban reversed. My question is why? If this had been my child ( and have a 2 in their twenties- so those years are not far behind me) there would be no cruises with me on my dime for a long time. Your son should do 90% of the work on this- who he needs to contact and what he needs to say. There would also be some conditions- a certain GPA or volunteer work or hours at a job.

I don't know, fire is extraordinarily dangerous on a ship since there's nowhere to go if a fire gets out of control. Disabling a fire safety device is a serious infraction that they expressly prohibit on the TV's, during the muster drills, etc.

Looks like you'll have to start cruising with NCL...just make sure he leaves his vape at home for that cruise!

Not trying to say you're trolling or telling an untruth but why on earth would they need to remove the smoke detector to vape?

I have two boys, now 18 and 20, but yeah teenagers can be very stupid and even more stupid when caught up in a bad crowd of their peers. Their actions are not always a reflection of their true person, in spite of what some might think. My youngest did something absolutely idiotic as a freshman in high school. Luckily he learned from it, moved forward and will be delivering his Valedictorian speech tonight!

:( It has been said here that vaping will not set off a smoke detector. I know pot will if there is enough of it. If that were the case security would have smelled I would think. Now I have seen some of the security guards on the ships so there is always a question as to how sharp they are.Hope things works out for your son and he will become a leader instead of a follower.

Hey there. I loved how your whole post was worded. When he stops being a stupid teenager and you wanna go on a cruise with him in the years to come why it would be beneficial to him to not be banned. Like a few others said, wait a bit and try and get the ban lifted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, you don't say when this happened. I can only assume very recently because of your post. If it is recent, then give this time. Heck, I'd even wait a year before asking for an appeal. Let your 17 year old turn 18 and ensure that he keeps his nose clean. Have him volunteer and show that he is willing to be an asset to society. Have him get letters of recommendation from people who can attest that his behavior is not anymore reflective of his actions while onboard.

All else fails....go with another cruise line.

Hi

I don't understand your position. You are saying "no excuses here", "well deserved", and in the same breath asking if there might be a chance they will forgive him.

Just looking at this...what would be the lesson learned. I would say that the silver lining here, is that the dumb thing that your son did(we acknowledge teenagers have a tendency to do stupid things), didn't end up landing him in jail, or hurt.

Hi

I don't understand your position. You are saying "no excuses here", "well deserved", and in the same breath asking if there might be a chance they will forgive him.

Oh I don't know - maybe I can acknowledge that he was wrong and is 100% to blame, but still want to cruise with him as an adult? I'm not asking for forgiveness at all, but if we were all given lifetime sentences for the dumb things we did at 17 I think many of us would be in big, big trouble.

There is no excuse for the behavior, I was just wondering if there was any chance for a reprieve. I am fine with not having him on a cruise until he is an adult, and I have already told him I will never pay for him to cruise again.

True I have only posted about 10 times in 11 years. I'm efficient.😊

Oh I don't know - maybe I can acknowledge that he was wrong and is 100% to blame, but still want to cruise with him as an adult? I'm not asking for forgiveness at all, but if we were all given lifetime sentences for the dumb things we did at 17 I think many of us would be in big, big trouble.

There is no excuse for the behavior, I was just wondering if there was any chance for a reprieve. I am fine with not having him on a cruise until he is an adult, and I have already told him I will never pay for him to cruise again.

True I have only posted about 10 times in 11 years. I'm efficient.😊

On any public forum you'll find people who try to shame you for whatever reason. Pay no attention and continue to watch for any information that will help you to resolve your situation based on facts. It is unfortunate, but may not be the end of your family cruising world on Carnival. Don't feel obligated to respond to those shamers. I hope you find an acceptable way to resolve your situation. :)

On any public forum you'll find people who try to shame you for whatever reason. Pay no attention and continue to watch for any information that will help you to resolve your situation based on facts. It is unfortunate, but may not be the end of your family cruising world on Carnival. Don't feel obligated to respond to those shamers. I hope you find an acceptable way to resolve your situation. :)

(y)(y)