Holiday is falling apart

We will be getting out tomorrow but the doctors won’t let him fly.

Because of the amount of blood he has lost and the amount of fluids they needed to gave him his hemoglobin has dropped to almost half of normal, that’s why he’s heart is pumping so fast. This will take a few week to recover so his immune system is low too, so a plane or boat is not the best to recover.

So to all sailing from NY on the Adventures of the Sea on the 15th have a great trip, hopefully meet you all on another one in the not too distant future.

So sorry to read that you won't make your trip, but very happy that they know exactly what is going on with your son and that he will be ok!!!! That's the most important part.

I had to cancel a cruise three weeks before departure in 2015 that I have meticulously researched and planned for 14 months (my dad suddenly needed open heart surgery and things went a bit haywire to say the least... he spent 3 months in various forms of hospitals and rehabs after the surgery, but eventually got home). The insurance I had (via insuremytrip) covered every single penny including flights, hotel, cruise, pre-paid transfers.... even the private tickets I had purchased for the Blue Lagoon in Iceland.... everything. Thank goodness I had kept very meticulous records of all purchases (because so many currencies were involved, I had to show multiple pieces of paperwork for each thing). Once I gathered everything I needed (including the info from the doctor), it only took the insurance company a couple of weeks to issue my full refund check. I hope your process goes as smoothly as mine did.

BTW - my mom and I are finally getting around to re-taking that missed cruise (we leave in just 2 months)... yay... and the itinerary is even a bit better than the one we had to cancel. So, from the way I choose to look at it, things ended up just fine (perhaps better)... only a tad later than we had planned.

Again, best of luck to you and your family, and a continued speedy recovering to your son.

Melissa :)

Thank goodness this happened before you boarded! 5 hours before I was supposed to drive to another city for the weekend with 2 of my daughters, I ended up in the hospital with appendicitis. I was so grateful it happened before the trip, being away from home and in the hospital with 2 minor children would not have been fun.

Given your son's medical woes,even if you all make it to the departure port, the cruise line has the right to have a medical evaluation done by the ship's physician to determine if your son is fit to cruise.

While there is a physician on board ship and a medical care facility, the type of medical assistance your son may need probably could not be provided.

And the NHS care ceases on embarkation.

DAVID.

We will be getting out tomorrow but the doctors won’t let him fly.

Because of the amount of blood he has lost and the amount of fluids they needed to gave him his hemoglobin has dropped to almost half of normal, that’s why he’s heart is pumping so fast. This will take a few week to recover so his immune system is low too, so a plane or boat is not the best to recover.

So to all sailing from NY on the Adventures of the Sea on the 15th have a great trip, hopefully meet you all on another one in the not too distant future.

I am on that sailing was hoping upon hope I’d see you and your family on it too. I’m happy he is being released and can continue to heal, but I can imagine the disappointment felt by you all.

I pray your next cruise will be so magical that this all fades into the background one day.

Take care.

Thanks everyone.

If my posting goes a little quiet for a while it’s only because my enthusiasm is below par. Hopefully when he’s fully fighting fit and the insurance has coughed up we can look again and the exciting will build again.

Thank goodness this happened before you boarded! 5 hours before I was supposed to drive to another city for the weekend with 2 of my daughters, I ended up in the hospital with appendicitis. I was so grateful it happened before the trip...

I concur - the same (albeit different) happened with me as we prepared to board our ship in Fort Lauderdale last year. I ended up in Emergency and consequently was not permitted to cruise. Sometimes difficult circumstances have a silver lining. :)

Thanks everyone.

If my posting goes a little quiet for a while it’s only because my enthusiasm is below par. Hopefully when he’s fully fighting fit and the insurance has coughed up we can look again and the exciting will build again.

It's understandable. Thank you for updating us. Wishing your son a speedy recovery and hoping your enthusiasm will return to plan another holiday in the future. Best to all.

Update, got released from hospital Thursday afternoon so just had the two and a half hour drive home.

I’m much happier having him home, on a three month course of iron tablets to build up the blood lost though will need to see the consultant in the next few weeks to see if everything is mending as it should.

Some good news, the hotel in NewYork we had booked after the cruise give us a full refund and I believe Roysl Caribbean are refunding us our drinks packages and excursions so the claim won’t be quite as big as I first thought.

I think if he’s on the mend and everything is ok we will try and book some type of a cruise from close to home later in the year, I’m sure the school will be accommodating considering the situation.

Hope you are all enjoying the cruise, have a great time and have a drink on us.

Thank you for the update-so unsettling to go through this so I'm happy he's home. So much nicer being home in his own bed.

Hoping in the near future you'll all be able to enjoy a cruise after this setback.

All the best to your family.

I have followed your posts through the whole ideal and I think someone somewhere is looking out for your son. Your story has broken my heart as I know you, your wife and especially your son were so looking forward to this trip.

There will be another cruise, another day and you will all get to enjoy it, but now, the timing just wasn't right. All things happen for a reason and in your case, your son needed to be treated at home rather than in some island somewhere.

I do wish your son good health and I hope when you get to go on the "substitute" cruise, you will get to enjoy every minute of it.

I'm glad that he is on the mend and resting in his own bed. I know someone mentioned earlier but I imagine you're very thankful that this happened when it did. Having to deal with that while in-flight or on the cruise would have been so much worse. If it had to happen, I think it happened at the better time. Wishing you all the best.