Ship security

Balaena

Another Mail article determined to make me a nervous wreck !

Having said that, if there were issues then why on earth is anyone with half a brain cell publishing them?!

At work we do drills to see what issues there may be --- we then put things in place.

If the 'drills' have discovered an issue then that 'issue' will now be covered.

From the article: If just one terrorist gets on a cruise liner with a bomb or gun there is nothing you could do to stop them from killing everyone.

That, of course, is a ridiculous statement and puts the whole article in a different light.

From the article: If just one terrorist gets on a cruise liner with a bomb or gun there is nothing you could do to stop them from killing everyone.

That, of course, is a ridiculous statement and puts the whole article in a different light.

Its called the Daily Mail --- bless

Yes, it is a sensational article as expected from the DM but the facts cannot be disputed, gun, knife and bomb all taken through 'security', yes by security experts checking 'security' but none the less, taken onboard. Joke about it as much as you want !!!!!!!!!

It's actually quoting The Sun - that other bastion of balanced and nuanced reporting. One of the reporters asked a mate what he thought: "An insider toldThe Sun: 'It chills me to the bone that so much gets through. 'If just one terrorist gets on a cruise liner with a bomb or gun there is nothing you could do to stop them from killing everyone'."

Only reporter's mates come up with such cliches as "chills me to the bone".

Terrorists in the UK (it was a test in Southampton) don't bother with guns or bombs. Far easier to rent a van or get some knives.

However if you really wanted to get something 'bad' onboard would you really pick Southampton? There are many softer ports of entry where a little cash would get people to look the other way.

I recently boarded a ship at a 'regional' port's cruise terminal without any checks whatsoever. They only had one scanner and arch for around 800 pax boarding. I had a 'cabin-size' trolley bag which was not put through any checks and I was far from being the only one!

OK so many here do not like the link quoted here becasue of the record of the news group. Fair enough here is a link to a report from RAND Corporation. RAND Corporation is a respected group around the World. It is 20 plus pages and several years old but makes many good points. Risks of Maritime Terrorism Attacks Against Cruise Ships

If anyone thinks terrorism cannot strike cruise ships I'm sorry they would be sadly mistaken.

OK so many here do not like the link quoted here becasue of the record of the news group. Fair enough here is a link to a report from RAND Corporation. RAND Corporation is a respected group around the World. It is 20 plus pages and several years old but makes many good points. Risks of Maritime Terrorism Attacks Against Cruise Ships

If anyone thinks terrorism cannot strike cruise ships I'm sorry they would be sadly mistaken.

Not sure what you hoped to achieve by posting this

Not sure what you hoped to achieve by posting this

It should be clear some posters here question the source used in the first post. Somehow wanting to say that the issue is not real because the source has done questionable stories in the past. Just posted a in depth report about the issue here. Directly on point to the OP first point. Directly reporting about cruise ship security.

Whilst it is true that a cruise ship could be the target of terrorist activity, it is worth noting that nothing these days is risk free and statistically you are far more likely to be killed or injured by terrorist activity (or any other cause, for that matter) whilst ashore or even walking down your local High Street at home. The terrorists win not by the rare incident when they have some minor 'success' but by creating a climate of fear, which threads such as this serve to fulfill.

Last year I had the privilege of singing at the Royal Albert Hall. There were 3000+ singers, plus orchestra, audience and general staff. There were absolutely no security checks, not even a bag search.

Two weeks ago my daughter and I went to a performance at the Royal Festival Hall. As my daughter tends to carry the kitchen sink in her handbag, I warned her that there would probably be a security check. The sole security was a tiny, elderly lady asking to see our tickets in the Green bar - "because people just walk in and eat their lunch, come for a sit down, or fall asleep on the sofas and then patrons can't use the facilities".:D It was a glorious day, the South Bank was heaving, the café and bar terraces were packed.

I'm very much of the "you're far more likely to be run over by a bus" and "carry on as normal, don't let them win" school of thought, but I have been surprised by the complete lack of security at two major London venues. Incidentally, last year we were in London on the day of the London Bridge attack, albeit at the Royal Albert Hall.

I always felt the security at Southampton was pretty stringent. You have to put your handbag, and any other bag into the scanner. My husband always seems to have to take his belt off because the radar goes off when he walks through. You also need a cruise card to get any where near the ship.

It should be clear some posters here question the source used in the first post. Somehow wanting to say that the issue is not real because the source has done questionable stories in the past. Just posted a in depth report about the issue here. Directly on point to the OP first point. Directly reporting about cruise ship security.

I suppose we read the Daily Mail website and also check out the Mirror --- talk about 2 extremes. One thing we have learned about the Daily Mail is that they are real doom and gloom merchants. I agree that it is a concern, but if I lived my life worried about everything that the Mail said was a threat to my survival I would need counselling or medication for my nerves ...........