$100 PP Charge .......OASIS

Hi,

It's obviously with the RCCL Rules Book. Yet, it doesn't set well with me.

What? My hubby & I got a Balcony Cabin. When our son asked to tag along, we said sure. Figuring there was the couch for him to sleep on.

I called to add his name & pay for the 3rd person. Oh fine, no problem BUT we have to move you to a Cabin meant for 3 people. AND, we're charging you $100pp.

Hey Bob, or any other old timer, what's the general reasoning behind that extra $200 charge?? Is there any kind of logical explanation besides greed??

:confused: Bobbi

I don’t think that is unique to Oasis. There are subcategories within the Interior, Oceanview and Balcony categories. The cabins that sleep more than two come at a higher price. Regrettably, they get you both ways when there are more than two in a cabin. Not all cabins have a sofa with a sleeper bed or a Pullman bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RCI had to move you to a higher cabin grade that accommodates 3 people with two lower beds plus a 3rd pullman upper. Your original cabin grade probably only had cabins with 2 lowers or those that did have 3/4 uppers berths were sold out. The only logical choice was to move you into a higher grade cabin to accommodate your son and charge you the difference. Ships like the Oasis have many categories or grade of cabins and each have their own price. Balcony, outside, inside cabins all have numerous sub categories within each type and pricing is dependent upon location - forward, midship, aft. What RCI did was't unethical or greedy; it's just their business model with most other cruise lines doing the same. What you can do is keep checking prices prior to final payment and if you see a reduction - call RCI and have them do a price adjustment. The good thing is if prices go up you won't get a price increase if that's any consolation.

RCI had to move you to a higher cabin grade that accommodates 3 people with two lower beds plus a 3rd pullman upper. Your original cabin grade probably only had cabins with 2 lowers or those that did have 3/4 uppers berths were sold out. The only logical choice was to move you into a higher grade cabin to accommodate your son and charge you the difference. Ships like the Oasis have many categories or grade of cabins and each have their own price. Balcony, outside, inside cabins all have numerous sub categories within each type and pricing is dependent upon location - forward, midship, aft. What RCI did was't unethical or greedy; it's just their business model with most other cruise lines doing the same. What you can do is keep checking prices prior to final payment and if you see a reduction - call RCI and have them do a price adjustment. The good thing is if prices go up you won't get a price increase if that's any consolation.

(it's probably a sofabed, not a Pullman, on the Oasis)

Hi,

What? My hubby & I got a Balcony Cabin. When our son asked to tag along, we said sure. Figuring there was the couch for him to sleep on.

I called to add his name & pay for the 3rd person. Oh fine, no problem BUT we have to move you to a Cabin meant for 3 people. AND, we're charging you $100pp.

Hey Bob, or any other old timer, what's the general reasoning behind that extra $200 charge?? Is there any kind of logical explanation besides greed??

As explained, you changed cabin category. If you had booked a cabin with three berths in the first place, then you could have just added him to that cabin. But since you booked a cabin with only two berths, now you need a cabin with three berths, and that is a "higher" category.

It's not anything sneaky or deceptive. It's a different category. They charge more for the 3 or 4 berth cabins because they are in higher demand.

By the way, the deck plans on Royal's site (or any other cruise agency site) show how many berths are in each cabin. You can see that when you book.

Hi,

I'm actually surprised that the additional charge for guests 1 and 2 was as low as $100pp.

I'm actually surprised that the additional charge for guests 1 and 2 was as low as $100pp.

One wonders if the cruise line charged OP $100 PP to change a Non Refundable Booking? If so, this charge would be incorrect unless OP changed date or ship. Perhaps OP should ask???

One wonders if the cruise line charged OP $100 PP to change a Non Refundable Booking? If so, this charge would be incorrect unless OP changed date or ship. Perhaps OP should ask???

My impression was that the OP was changed extra because they had to change categories to accommodate the additional guest in the stateroom.

If your previous cabin could fit three there's the possibility that adding a third would put them over the allowable number of individuals for your muster station. So they had to move you to a different cabin to change muster stations, but only a higher category was available.

Why would you want someone "tagging" along with you in the first place?

Cabins are small for 2 people, 3 is crowded.

How old is your son?

Well my answer would be “cuz I like my kids”.

Why would you want someone "tagging" along with you in the first place?

Cabins are small for 2 people, 3 is crowded.

How old is your son?

Guess you never been camping in a tent. Have 10 Siblings, had 3/4 to a bedroom and one bathroom house. My Mom had 6 Sisters and one bathroom in their's. We did 5 in a regular Ocean View on a 7nite Enchantment 20yrs ago, on course kids were 9, 5, 2. One of the kids was assigned to Grandparents room though we all stayed in ours. Had 2 Pullmans, we pushed the double bed to opposite walls and was set up like 2 Bunk Beds, 2yr slept with Mom. So 3 in a cabin, that's easy...

We had the same situation, but reversed. We had 3 people in the cabin. Due to some family cancellations, we moved one person from the 3 to a cabin to one which was now only one person. RCL said because there was no longer 3 in the room, they had to be moved to a 2 person room. The only 2 person rooms were a category up. Had to rebook at the higher rate. I didn't believe that was fair.

Three in a cabin is a dream for us - hubby and I sail with two kids! It makes for great memories. Besides, how are they going to appreciate living in a big house if we don't lived in a cramped cabin once in a while? :'):'):'):')

I like my kids also.

But that does not mean they are going to share a cabin with my & my wife for an entire week.

We put them across the hall or next door by themselves since they were 8 & 4.

Some of us really like their privacy.

I guess others don't have a need for it.....

I like my kids also.

But that does not mean they are going to share a cabin with my & my wife for an entire week.

Have never booked more than 1 room on a family vacation, cruise or otherwise. Last one all together was Disney World in 2006. Daughter was 21 and slept with me. Poor 16 year old son got stuck with dad! It would never have occurred to us to book 2 rooms.

Different strokes I guess.

I like my kids also.

Have never booked more than 1 room on a family vacation, cruise or otherwise. Last one all together was Disney World in 2006. Daughter was 21 and slept with me. Poor 16 year old son got stuck with dad! It would never have occurred to us to book 2 rooms. Even now my daughter, 33, travels with us and we stay in one room and it still would never occur to me to book two.

Have never booked more than 1 room on a family vacation, cruise or otherwise. Last one all together was Disney World in 2006. Daughter was 21 and slept with me. Poor 16 year old son got stuck with dad! It would never have occurred to us to book 2 rooms. Even now my daughter, 33, travels with us and we stay in one room and it still would never occur to me to book two.

We do both, depending on the vacation and how the costs work out. We did 4 adults (my husband and I and his brothers, 21 and 19 years old) in an interior cabin. Our next family vacation, the prices worked out that we did only 2 to a room, with the two parents and two younger kids in adjacent rooms. We've fit as many as 10 people in a 1 bedroom apartment before when his family came to visit us after college graduation. That was just for a few days, but we made it work.

As to the actual topic of the post, we had something similar happen but in the opposite direction. Were in a 3 person cabin, one person cancelled and Royal made us switch to a 2 person cabin and repriced our reservation. Went from something like $2,400 for 3 people, to $2,100 for 2 people.

Any room (category) changes requires a reprice to current prices

Yep, we do! He works for Carnival Cruise line, he's home in between Contracts. Can see how the 'competition ' works a cruise ...LOL! He is a welcome 'tag along'

Now, I booked AND made the additional person add on via calling RCCL. So, I originally said a Balcony Cabin for me & my hubby, Deck 10 Middle or Aft, NO Front. We were told our cabin had the std 2 beds (turn into one bed) and a couch.

So, when I called to add our son, I assumed I'd just pay the 3rd person fee. Which I did, in addition to the $100PP fee. We kept everything the same .... the ship and the date. If it's extra to get a Refundable Fare (like a plane ticket), I'm sure I said no.

I hope this makes my post clearer. Yeah, I didn't think we could get the $200 back. I just truly didn't understand what service they provided that justified the increase, I'm still not sure why our son just couldn't have slept on the couch??

Ok, now, Im going back to read your explanations. Please no more judgements, my gosh.

Bobbi

Just wanted to say that it's true about the money you make working on a cruise ship. Our son works 7 days a week for 6 months. The Dollar Part of the Pay is not in the high roller category. It's a wonderful experience, lots of long hours, etc etc.

We had our vacay planned. My hubby & I have a golf vacation in Florida before our son flies in the night before. Neither us or him could justify the cost of a one person inside cabin. And, frankly, it's been a long time since we all went traveling together like when he was growing up. I guess I'm giving TMI here, but ya just kinda got me on a roll (original guy who made the nasty remark (that's how I took it Sir).

Bobbi

Wow, that is a great price for adding another passenger

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3rd Passenger Cost: We booked with the BOGO Sale. So, our son's cost is $634, that includes the $96.50 port expenses, taxes & fees. Still need to add gratuity into final cost. The $100 pp fee was a change fee from 2 to 3 person cabin. Which is what I was wondering about ... and has been answered here.

Thanks everybody for your input ...

Bobbi

3rd Passenger Cost: We booked with the BOGO Sale. So, our son's cost is $634, that includes the $96.50 port expenses, taxes & fees. Still need to add gratuity into final cost. The $100 pp fee was a change fee from 2 to 3 person cabin. Which is what I was wondering about ... and has been answered here.

Thanks everybody for your input ...

Bobbi

No, you should not have to pay a change fee. The change fee is for changing SHIP or SAILING DATE. Other changes are NOT supposed to incur a change fee.

Call back and ask for a supervisor.

OP are you saying that in addition to the new charges for a 3 person room and the third person that you were also charged an additional $100 pp? If so that does not sound right to me

No, you should not have to pay a change fee. The change fee is for changing SHIP or SAILING DATE. Other changes are NOT supposed to incur a change fee.

Call back and ask for a supervisor.

Yes call back!!!!! Good luck