What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

1 hour ago, ssteinerman said:

Fair enough - I was going by the countdown clock on the NCL vacation page, which says 80 days out.

You don’t always get a email, or anything in inbox it could also be on your homepage as banner let’s get you upgraded and some have reported it’s sometimes less than 80 days before they do offer the program, and again really it doesn’t matter if you get it st 80, 70 or even 50 days you probably won’t hear for several more weeks after, again unless you   Overbid.

Does anyone have any experience with winning a bid on a last minute booking? I’m considering booking about 30 days out in hopes of snagging a cheap Balcony Guarantee and then making a strong bid for The Haven. Just wondering if that’s a viable strategy and if NCL considers the price paid on the original booking when awarding upgrades. From what I read on this thread it sounds like no since they already have your money from the original booking and probably just look for the highest bid, but may consider cabin type booked in order to squeeze out the most dollars for those who want to upgrade from Insides to Balcony, Mini Suite, etc. Anyway any data points would be helpful.

12 hours ago, cksv said:

Does anyone have any experience with winning a bid on a last minute booking? I’m considering booking about 30 days out in hopes of snagging a cheap Balcony Guarantee and then making a strong bid for The Haven. Just wondering if that’s a viable strategy and if NCL considers the price paid on the original booking when awarding upgrades. From what I read on this thread it sounds like no since they already have your money from the original booking and probably just look for the highest bid, but may consider cabin type booked in order to squeeze out the most dollars for those who want to upgrade from Insides to Balcony, Mini Suite, etc. Anyway any data points would be helpful.

I will find out next week 

we booked 3 weeks out, GTY Balcony , and as soon as payment was made my link to upgrade was there. Put bids on the Haven. 

We shall soon find out. 

We have been in the Gem Haven before and love it!! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cksv said:

I booked a Breakaway sail away balcony about 5-6 weeks out and was given the chance to upgrade to Haven. They took my bid (which was just a tic into "fair" and in retrospect was probably too much).  It was a changed itinerary (because of hurricanes) and the prices dropped quite a bit those final weeks. They let me know about 10 days out, as I recall.

• Like 1

We talked our friends into booking the  the 6/2 Bermuda sailing yesterday (IX category: $379 pp plus tax).
They got the bid email this morning.
They bid minimum for balcony ($50 per person). Their bid was accepted within minutes. They got an aft facing balcony on deck 11.  I think that was absolutely great!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, cksv said:

Read this thread for early May discussion on whether or not original price is a factor, in most cases the consensus was that it doesn't not, what matters is simple supply and demand, is the ship full, do they need your cabin to open up lower cabins/higher cabins etc.

the winning bid on a packed summer high season sailing versus a October hurricane sailing can and will be hundreds if not a thousand dollars more, if won at all.

bid what you are comfortable bidding, do your research to make sure it's not practical to just pay outright for the higher cabin, good luck 

We won our bid today (3 days til sail)  I think there were 3 haven rooms available when I bid for the 2 haven categories I placed bids on.  Our winning bid was 1250$/pp.  We only paid 1199$/pp to start, were rewarded a 200$ OBC, due to price changes.  And in the end saved 1500$ on our room!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beccahoke said:

We won our bid today (3 days til sail)  I think there were 3 haven rooms available when I bid for the 2 haven categories I placed bids on.  Our winning bid was 1250$/pp.  We only paid 1199$/pp to start, were rewarded a 200$ OBC, due to price changes.  And in the end saved 1500$ on our room!

Wow that’s awesome, congratulations and thanks for sharing your winning bid! What categories did you bid on and which one did you end up getting?

19 hours ago, Arzeena said:

We talked our friends into booking the  the 6/2 Bermuda sailing yesterday (IX category: $379 pp plus tax).
They got the bid email this morning.
They bid minimum for balcony ($50 per person). Their bid was accepted within minutes. They got an aft facing balcony on deck 11.  I think that was absolutely great!

Sailing on Breakaway Sunday. Had inside we booked in February at 1069/pp. Bid 50/pp for balcony and 150/pp for spa balcony. Both denied. 

Was direct upgraded last week to OV since my price dropped to lower than I paid for my inside, should have waited a few more days since the balcony was lower than the OV 3 days later. Oh well.

Happy to report, successful bid for the jewel sailing Monday. Was notified this morning my balcony offer of $320pp was accepted. My offer of $375pp for mini suite was not. 

I originally reserved an inside room for 4 that included a 3rd and 4th free. Prices for the sailing had dropped like a rock leading up to cruise; I was able to call in and was offered a free ocean view upgrade while pricing out paying the difference for a mini suite.

All in all, super happy with the process. Paid significantly less for my family to enjoy a balcony room than reserving out right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gogomez1 said:

Happy to report, successful bid for the jewel sailing Monday. Was notified this morning my balcony offer of $320pp was accepted. My offer of $375pp for mini suite was not. 

I originally reserved an inside room for 4 that included a 3rd and 4th free. Prices for the sailing had dropped like a rock leading up to cruise; I was able to call in and was offered a free ocean view upgrade while pricing out paying the difference for a mini suite.

All in all, super happy with the process. Paid significantly less for my family to enjoy a balcony room than reserving out right.

Do you know if your room type showed as available or sold out? 

I just cancelled my bid offers. I checked the rates yesterday and the balcony rooms dropped and was only a $360 charge to upgrade for rom an inside sail away to a balcony sail away.  I had a $500 bid in. It’s a peace of mind to just pay the difference and guarantee a balcony room for Alaska.

• Like 4

Bid accepted on 4 Day Dawn Bahamas.  Upgrade to Family Suite, no balcony, cost $250 pp on top of $799 pp Balcony.  Bid was accepted 5 days out.  Most min prices were close to retail and some were equal or more!  Really thought a 4 day would have lower minimums. Tried to book outright when price dropped but the perks changed so we would have added over $600 pp on top of our original $149 reduced airfare.  Here is a chart created for the bid offers:

6521DAE7-B4A6-48CE-9DCA-B38507243181.jpeg

Bid accepted on 4 Day Dawn Bahamas.  Upgrade to Family Suite no balcony, cost $250 pp on top of original $799 pp Balcony.  Bid was accepted 5 days out when price diff was $300.  Also bid for FWD PH denied, bid $350 pp when price diff outright was only $500.   Tried to book outright when price dropped but the perks changed so we would have added over $600 pp on top of our original $149 reduced airfare plus the pp cabin difference.Adding the original cost with most min prices were close to retail and some were equal or more.  Really thought a 4 day would have lower minimums. Here is a chart created for the bid offers:

755DADC3-A1C6-4DEE-9E19-657BB56280CB.jpeg

Edited by Sula Lato
Add chart

Hi All,

I'm currently booked in a balcony and bidding on Haven cabins.  I do not expect to hear about that for quite some time as it is still a couple of months out.  In the meantime, I am thinking of upgrading to another balcony and/or mini-suite outright at a minimal upcharge to my original booking while picking up the additional perks.

Is it true that if I successfully pay to upgrade now, that I will still be able to bid on the Haven cabins?

I do not wish to lose that opportunity.

Thanks!

GOT IT!  I’m so excited.  Leaving on June 7 on Gem for Bermuda!

Booked a balcony for the 3 of us and bid on the Haven 4 2 bedroom, $1410 and was notified by 

email Fri at 6:57 am.  A full week before we leave.  It was in the high poor category of bids.

Now tell me everything I want and need to know to get the full, best experience.

Thanks, YO

1 hour ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Hi All,

I'm currently booked in a balcony and bidding on Haven cabins.  I do not expect to hear about that for quite some time as it is still a couple of months out.  In the meantime, I am thinking of upgrading to another balcony and/or mini-suite outright at a minimal upcharge to my original booking while picking up the additional perks.

Is it true that if I successfully pay to upgrade now, that I will still be able to bid on the Haven cabins?

I do not wish to lose that opportunity.

Thanks!

I don’t believe you will pick up any additional perks by going to a mini suite other than some OBC... Assuming your already past final payment. 

The only time you would gain additional perks would be Inside to OV which gets you 2 perks or Mini Suite to Haven which gets you all perks..

I am so intrigued about these bid for upgrades.  I am getting daily emails about it.  My landing page always says "let's get you upgraded!"   We are in a mini suite on the Breakaway sailing in a week.  Booking site says all Haven suites are sold out yet that's what I could bid on.  Is that usual? 

It's going to be our family of four.  It would be amazing to get one, but I don't think we are really willing to pay another $3000.  It's so tempting though.

2 hours ago, Gayatri said:

Booking site says all Haven suites are sold out yet that's what I could bid on.  Is that usual? 

It's going to be our family of four.  It would be amazing to get one, but I don't think we are really willing to pay another $3000.  It's so tempting though.

I got the same thing for our Alaskan cruise in August. Website says Haven is sold out, but got the same offer. 

28 minutes ago, aero777 said:

Has anyone noticed starting today the max number of cabins displayed is 15, even on a site that used to display more than 15 cabins?

Yes,  I did notice yesterday while checking on the number of cabins left for my cruise in July. on "that site".  Wondered if it was just a coincidence that all showed the same number of cabins in most categories which was under 15.