Communicating with spouse while on-board

SaltyBeard

My wife and I are going on our 1st cruise in a couple of weeks on the Insignia. One thing that we are trying to figure out is if we can text each other while on-board and if so, what is the cost. The info packet from Oceania mentions "free unlimited wifi" via Wavenet but with a limit of only 1 device at a time. The WIFi upgrade packages don't interest us as we dont intend to be streaming Netflix which is what they seem to oriented on. I also get the impression that we would have access to normal cellular service (i.e., SMS) while at sea at a cost of $0.25/msg. Can anyone clarify the options?

My wife and I are going on our 1st cruise in a couple of weeks on the Insignia. One thing that we are trying to figure out is if we can text each other while on-board and if so, what is the cost. The info packet from Oceania mentions "free unlimited wifi" via Wavenet but with a limit of only 1 device at a time. The WIFi upgrade packages don't interest us as we dont intend to be streaming Netflix which is what they seem to oriented on. I also get the impression that we would have access to normal cellular service (i.e., SMS) while at sea at a cost of $0.25/msg. Can anyone clarify the options?

Oceania ships are small enough that you can find each other in the time it takes to exchange texts.

My husband and I manage to fine each other without a problem even on big ships!! We tell each other where we are going, leave notes in the cabin, and /or pick a time to meet somewhere .

My phone stays on airplane unless I am ashore.

we just tell each other where we will be & agree to meet at a specific time/place

The ships are so small you can easily find each other

YMMV

Really not necessary,,,just agree to meet at a time and place... its not huge

Welcome to CC, Saltybeard

Wifi is the method to connect to the network (and then to the internet) so is a method stream videos (Netflix brand or other) but is not limited to that. Many folks want to email, some want to post on CC, check out weather on the next ports etc and that all uses internet. You can also use it for services like Skype so can call someone and talk to them but uses the mobile device as a computer not as a phone.

I'm curious where you saw on a cruise ship you can access to normal cell service. You could connect to the ship and that goes out via satellite. $0.25 per text is very inexpensive on a pay per text basis. My cell provider alone will charge me ~ $0.50 per text

You might find the CC article useful:

"What to Expect on a Cruise: Using a Cell Phone"

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752

On O's website under FAQs -> On board:

Can I use my mobile phone on board?

While at sea, guests are able to use their own mobile phones to make and receive calls, text messages and for data services. International roaming charges will apply and will be billed by your regular service provider. Guests with AT&T service may choose from a selection of packages offering discounted rates for international calls, texts and data while on board our ships. For complete details on plans and full terms and conditions, please visit www.att.com/cruiseships

On the big ships, we leave a magnetic whiteboard on the cabin door and write notes if we're looking for each other. I suspect on O, there will only be a few places one could reasonably look for each other.

Thanks to all for the feedback. The idea of wandering around without a network umbilical will take some getting use to (a throwback to those days of long ago) but it does sound appealing.

I'm curious where you saw on a cruise ship you can access to normal cell service. You could connect to the ship and that goes out via satellite. $0.25 per text is very inexpensive on a pay per text basis. My cell provider alone will charge me ~ $0.50 per text

My assumption is that if both shipboard phones are connected to the ship's cellular node then intra-ship texting would work.

On the big ships, we leave a magnetic whiteboard on the cabin door and write notes if we're looking for each other. I suspect on O, there will only be a few places one could reasonably look for each other.

Door "adornments" are few and far between on Oceania ships

Thanks to all for the feedback. The idea of wandering around without a network umbilical will take some getting use to (a throwback to those days of long ago) but it does sound appealing.

My assumption is that if both shipboard phones are connected to the ship's cellular node then intra-ship texting would work.

My assumption is it would work but is not "intra-ship"and not using some local network text server on the ship. I expect it would go out to the satellite, down to your provider, click the per text fee, and then to the recipient, where ever they may be so in your case back to the satellite and to your other party. And that is why AT&T is offering the special cruise package.

If you have AT&T and you turn cell service on, you'll see the AT&T@sea network in the header. Not cheap -even if you buy an AT&T cruise pkg (not the same as international passport or day passes (land packages).

That said, bite the bullet and get a second wifi pack. The use "wifi calling" and iMessage (iPhone).

OR, just leave a note. OR fuggedaboudit! The Oceania ships really are small.

If you both have an Internet package on your cell phones, install either Viber or Whats App and you can text through those apps, which are FREE. Put your phone in Airplane mode, then on Wifi. Texts through your phone service provider will be expensive.

If you both have an Internet package on your cell phones, install either Viber or Whats App and you can text through those apps, which are FREE. Put your phone in Airplane mode, then on Wifi. Texts through your phone service provider will be expensive.

If you've both got iPhones, just use the installed default iMessage app.

Well then, it'll be easy to pick ours out :) I'm planning on decorating the door anyway since it's our honeymoon.

The biggest difference I've noticed in Passenger reaction between Oceania and the Mass Market Lines has to do with door decorating.

It gets a very very negative response.

Whereas most people won't repeat the harsher things that they write on the Boards to your face, I find that they will speak out in person against door decoration.

The consensus was that it kills the elegant ambiance which Oceania is trying to cultivate.

also staff may remove the decorations if too much

I have seen some signs on doors that are small & left there all cruise

it just depends on the decorations I guess

The biggest difference I've noticed in Passenger reaction between Oceania and the Mass Market Lines has to do with door decorating.

It gets a very very negative response.

Whereas most people won't repeat the harsher things that they write on the Boards to your face, I find that they will speak out in person against door decoration.

The consensus was that it kills the elegant ambiance which Oceania is trying to cultivate.

I fail to understand why a door decoration is such a big deal, honestly. What's next, someone is going to object if I have a brightly coloured beach bag? It might be more detrimental to ambiance since I am sure people are more likely to see my beach bag than my door.

I've never decorated a door on one of the mass market lines but I think it's cute when people are so excited. And yeah, this time I'm really excited for my cruise :)

We have seen door decorating during holiday seasons on luxury cruise lines but not on off holiday cruises. I personally think it’s tacky out of holiday perhaps anniversaries or newlyweds celebrating a special occasion but outside of that I think it’s tacky. We did this in the dorms in our college days.

Personally we don’t adorn our refrigerator at home with magnets and pictures either but that is just us. We have framed pictures and too many of our family on the walls like a rogue gallery.

I fail to understand why a door decoration is such a big deal, honestly. What's next, someone is going to object if I have a brightly coloured beach bag? It might be more detrimental to ambiance since I am sure people are more likely to see my beach bag than my door.

I've never decorated a door on one of the mass market lines but I think it's cute when people are so excited. And yeah, this time I'm really excited for my cruise :)

Congratulations to you and your fiancé ! Enjoy, and don’t worry about it! You will have a great time!

Have you ever seen a door decoration in a four star/luxury hotel (even when the guest is staying for a week or more)? Think of Oceania in that way.

Yes, door decorating is common on some mass market lines. BUT, on most (if not all) premium and luxury lines, it is considered by most passengers to be just plain tacky.

Perhaps an alternative "special recognition" would be to have your TA arrange a personal wedding cake to be served while dining at one of the specialty restaurants.