Not your normal tipping thread-Splash Academy

Gampy1967

I know tipping is subjective but I have to ask. I don't believe that the staff in the Splash Academy are part of the DSC. That being said, what would be a normal tip for someone in the Splash Academy? We are taking my 7yr old granddaughter with us on the cruise and there will be sometimes (if we are getting a couples massage, sitting at the bar for a little while, etc.) where she will be at the Splash Academy while we are doing different things. I know there is no charge for the Splash Academy so what is a normal tip at the end of the cruise or do you tip each day that you use them?

Thanks for any input.

I know tipping is subjective but I have to ask. I don't believe that the staff in the Splash Academy are part of the DSC. That being said, what would be a normal tip for someone in the Splash Academy? We are taking my 7yr old granddaughter with us on the cruise and there will be sometimes (if we are getting a couples massage, sitting at the bar for a little while, etc.) where she will be at the Splash Academy while we are doing different things. I know there is no charge for the Splash Academy so what is a normal tip at the end of the cruise or do you tip each day that you use them?

Thanks for any input.

The last NCL cruise we had our family with us......1 young grand kid was left at the Splash Academy.....at the end of the cruise we gave the girls there a Ben Franklin and asked them to share it between themselves.

Nobody normally bothers, it’s a service the ship provides, if someone is exceptional then tip them.

Oh, I see.....so the bartender taking all of 2 minutes to make you a drink, deserves to get a mandatory 20% tip (plus if you believe some people on here ALSO an extra tip).

While the Splash Academy staff relieving you of your kids for hours at a time deserve no tip, according to you?

Isn't EVERYTHING provided on the ship, to quote you "a service provided by the ship"????

Shaking my head, what horrible logic.

• Like 1

Oh, I see.....so the bartender taking all of 2 minutes to make you a drink, deserves to get a mandatory 20% tip (plus if you believe some people on here ALSO an extra tip).

And the Splash Academy staff relieving you of your kids for hours at a time deserve no tip, according to you?

Shaking my head, what horrible logic.

It’s called all inclusive Mate.

Opinions differ, in the U.K. we pay upfront it’s called All inclusive, the cruise cost pays the salary, so why tip for an employee doing there job, we already pay £400 in DSC. How much do NCL need subsidising Mate

Opinions differ, in the U.K. we pay upfront it’s called All inclusive, the cruise cost pays the salary, so why tip for an employee doing there job, we already pay £400 in DSC. How much do NCL need subsidising Mate

The OP is from the USA not from the UK so your (lack of) tipping custom/culture does not apply here, "mate".

Perhaps you should have clarified your stand by stating "Here in the UK, nobody normally bothers"!!!

But it's ok, we all understand that cheapskates are to be found everywhere, the UK included.

Edit: And if I may add, you are NOT subsidizing NCL by tipping the Splash Academy staff, you are showing a level

of appreciation for the service they have provided you by taking care of your kids for hours on end! If it was your

kid working the Splash Academy shift, I am sue you would be appreciative if someone extended a gesture of appreciation

towards him/her.

Peace "mate"

Edited by 1AL

The OP is from the USA not from the UK so your (lack of) tipping custom does not apply here, "mate".

Perhaps you should have clarified your stand by saying "Here in the UK, nobody normally bothers"!!!

But it's ok, we all understand that cheapskates are to be found everywhere, the UK included.

Is it necessary to be so aggressive? This is supposed to be a forum where people ask questions and those that know the answer, answer or give suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was really just trying to get an idea. Yes, I am from the US where tipping is more customary. Only one person has really answered the question (they are not is the DSC and they did tip $100 but seemed to use it a bit) so I will probably lean towards tipping a fixed amount at the end based on how much I end up using it.

The OP is from the USA not from the UK so your (lack of) tipping custom/culture does not apply here, "mate".

Perhaps you should have clarified your stand by stating "Here in the UK, nobody normally bothers"!!!

Geez, lighten up, Francis. No need to ruin a thread that only requires simple answers. :rolleyes:

(y)(y)

Was really just trying to get an idea. Yes, I am from the US where tipping is more customary. Only one person has really answered the question (they are not is the DSC and they did tip $100 but seemed to use it a bit) so I will probably lean towards tipping a fixed amount at the end based on how much I end up using it.

OP, as we say here in the US, 2 thumbs up to you!

Staff in the kids clubs don’t receive anything from the DSC.

Being faced with this decision in the future I would have liked to have heard more than one response from someone who had actually used the Splash Academy, but I guess that all of this aggressive behavior may have scared people away.

Hello:

I hope you can assist me. I have a cruise planned in The Haven. I want to ensure that everyone receives a gratuity.

Can you please breakdown how the $17.50 service charge is allocated? How much to wait staff, versus cabin steward, etc.

Also, I want to clarify if the Butler is included in this daily charge?

Thank you very much.

Hi:

We do not have a breakdown ofthe service charges. All our crew is included in the service charges. If youhave any other additional questions, please send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com.

All the best,

Public Relations

Norwegian Cruise Line

On the reviews I read, most say they tip the splash academy folks and it has been various amounts; anywhere from $20 to over $100, so you will have to decide based on how good their services were to your child and, of course, your budget. I'm sure no matter what you tip they will be appreciative.

If you have booked all inclusive then you haven't paid £400 in DSC.

We have used Splash Academy to a varying extent on many cruises. On some our son has spent a long time there, others he has just visited a few times, and on others not at all.

Usually we have left something. On a couple of occasions there have been one or two staff members who have been particularly good and we have tipped them more, we have also left a bigger tip for everyone to share on those occasions where he has spent a lot of time there. On other occasions, when he hasn't used it as much then we have sometimes just left something life $20 or on occasion nothing.

Most of these have been in Europe, and I have rarely seen others leaving tips. On occasion the staff have seemed relatively surprised to receive anything. The impression I get is that they don't get much on European cruises.

What I did on our cruise (we sailed 6/16 on the Bliss to Alaska) was bring a big box of candy bars from Costco. I dropped a couple off each time we dropped off or picked up our kids. My 3 year old struggled a bit (waited to play with big sister even though they weren't in the same age group, so then she wanted Mom) and there were a few outstanding counselors that went above and beyond for us in that regard. They got "extra special" pictures from my girls. Not monetary, but it still meant something.

The last night, two of the counselors pulled me aside and expressed their sincere gratitude for the treats. If they want a treat like that, they have to play full price in the ship gift shops or get off the boat and find them. For me, the $20 I spent on the box was well worth it. Just my 2 cents. :)

I’ve never tipped kids program staff on board any cruise and am frankly surprised NCL even allows it - on other cruises we have been on, the kids club staff aren’t allowed to accept tips (maybe that’s changed now, I don’t know). And frankly I do think they are paid more than the other staff members. Like the cruise director and social/activity staff - we don’t tip them either....