Infant fare?

vegas-c

Of course on the "oh so user friendly" Celebrity website I cannot find this anywhere, are infants under the age of 2 charged as a full 3rd person fare? Just checking for the future, son and dil, NOT us! LOL

Thanks all,

Connie

But there are infant sailing age restrictions. A child must be 6 months old as of the date of departure in order to cruise. And if the itinerary has more than two consecutive sea days they must be 12 months old.

Perhaps the reason you are not finding the answer to your question is because there is no age exception to booking fares unless, as indicated, by way of a particular promotion. And if an when something regarding special children's fares would be offered, the promo would detail the terms. But if interested, here is a link to the Celebrity FAQ's for any additional information you might want. :)

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/all-pre-cruise-faqs

When my son booked for my granddaughter who will turn 2 on our cruise, we were shocked she was charged the same rate as the first two in the cabin. We booked anyway and watched for promotions. We did end up getting a very reasonable rate for her for our upcoming cruise.

A frequently debated topic on CC but most cruise lines charge full fare for children and most cruise lines also have occasional promotions regarding discounted children's rates.

It is, as with most businesses, supply and demand driven. And with the popularity of cruising these days and a strong economy, most ships sail full and don't need to discount children's fares to encourage bookings.

Years ago when cruising was growing, many lines offered programs to encourage families to cruise. It was that very type of program with RCI that got us involved adding our family to our cruising 25 years ago. Not the case anymore. Those lines that still offer that type of program on a regular basis are competing to take business away from the larger lines, but IMO those days will be short lived as well.

As they say, it is what it is.....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

“Kids Sail Free” is my least favorite promotion on Celebrity or any cruise line. I would rather see “Kids Pay Double “. ;) I would pay a premium to be on those sailings.

ha ha ha! I'm guessing that you don't like to stop on every floor when their parents allow them to press all the buttons in the elevator?

They don't charge a reduced fare as the ship is based on body count. They can only have a specific number of people aboard and an infant counts just the same as an adult. So while they may run promos with reduced children's fares at off peak times, an infant or child counts as a person and reduces how many adults they can have. I asked that question many moons ago when I brought my one year old and that was the response they gave me.

When my son booked for my granddaughter who will turn 2 on our cruise, we were shocked she was charged the same rate as the first two in the cabin.

This is surprising. I have never seen the 3/4 rate the same as for the first 2 passengers. The amount of discount varies by cruise but it is (almost?) always less. Not saying it didn't happen, but if so it was a very unusual situation.

Mike

They don't charge a reduced fare as the ship is based on body count. They can only have a specific number of people aboard and an infant counts just the same as an adult. So while they may run promos with reduced children's fares at off peak times, an infant or child counts as a person and reduces how many adults they can have. I asked that question many moons ago when I brought my one year old and that was the response they gave me.

That is accurate regarding how each person on a ship is recognized, as the "body count" is relative to total booking capacity and is based on lifeboat capacity. It isn't so much that a child takes away an adult spot, but in what the total mix of adults and children in the staterooms are relative to total capacity. It drives how many 3-4 passenger staterooms will be released to hold the 3rd and 4th passenger. Keep in mind there are typically more beds on board than total capacity will allow in order to provide a more diverse option of stateroom booking mix.

But this is not necessarily true regarding prices industry wide - and promotions are not just during off peak times. As mentioned previously, many years ago RCI charged $99 for children as 3rd and 4th passengers in a given stateroom. They did this for several years as they were growing their business relative to families. Most cruise lines still run child's rate promo's from time to time to attract family bookings.

MSC is doing that now as they are trying to compete in the US with the main mass market lines for family market share. But IMO,as with RCI of old, that too will stop at some point once they achieve their business goals.

Children are counted in the total passenger census,

They are catered to very nicely by all staff, supplied with various infant needs, etc, The children's dining menu seems very nice, and of course the cabin attendant does have an extra person on the roster!

It would seem some discount should apply but they even extract extra fares from single cruisers..

Wondering how Disney Cruises handles this???

It would seem some discount should apply but they even extract extra fares from single cruisers..

Wondering how Disney Cruises handles this???

Single cruiser supplements are based on the fact that staterooms are quoted as double occupancy. But that is a whole other CC debate....

Well I just did a quick mock booking on the Disney website for a cruise this August and the children's rates were discounted by about 35% off the adult rates. But Disney is more expensive than most to begin with, so it may all equal out comparatively. I also don't know if it applies to just the one I looked as a post final payment special price or if that is their ongoing policy.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks you all for your input. Honestly the last time I worried about a kids rate was almost 20 years ago, and now with upcoming grandchildren. LOL. I somehow think it is reasonable for full rate at an age when they can take advantage of the children's programs, go to dinner etc. BUT, since it will be a family vacation, we will bite the bullet and pay up. And thanks to all for the reminders to keep looking for those promotions even after booking. Happy Sailing all.

There could be some reasoning behind charging less for an infant, although perhaps they do not do that to keep the population of infants onboard low. I personally don't think a cruise ship is the proper place for an infant, but that is just my opinion. There is a doctor, but no pediatrician onboard. At these tender ages, you are exposing them to germs from people all over the world. Infants cry. It is normal and expected and parents can't always quiet them regardless of how considerate they try to be. I would hate to be in the cabin next to or very near to an infant. Infants can rarely keep quiet for the 1 1/2 hours meals take in the MDR. I will never understand why people bring infants onboard.

As to older children (toddler and above) they are being cared for by the staff the same as any other passenger (and actually sometimes more) so I don't see why anyone would expect to pay less. They generally cause more mess (even if caring parents try to clean up after them), the room stewards need to prepare a separate bed for them, the waiters often provide special food requests, and so on. So it seems fair that they are charged the full price.

If anyone wonders (or cares) I happen to love kids - have three and three grandkids. I have sailed with my youngest since he was 3 years old. So I am not just blowing off steam - I lived by my own beliefs.