Tropical Storm Chris - Bermuda

Glenaudrey

Anyone traveling this week worried? We leave for Bermuda on the Escape tomorrow.

Can anyone whose cruised before with storm warnings for the route they're headed and for the island they're traveling to give some insight into how Norwegian handles?

Do they reroute or just travel right through and if the storm is at the island while they're scheduled to be docked for three days, do they still dock there or do they make other plans?

Anyone traveling this week worried? We leave for Bermuda on the Escape tomorrow.

Can anyone whose cruised before with storm warnings for the route they're headed and for the island they're traveling to give some insight into how Norwegian handles?

Do they reroute or just travel right through and if the storm is at the island while they're scheduled to be docked for three days, do they still dock there or do they make other plans?

The cruise ship will not go through a tropical storm or dock on an island if there is a threat of a tropical storm hitting so no worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone traveling this week worried? We leave for Bermuda on the Escape tomorrow. Can anyone whose cruised before with storm warnings for the route they're headed and for the island they're traveling to give some insight into how Norwegian handles? Do they reroute or just travel right through and if the storm is at the island while they're scheduled to be docked for three days, do they still dock there or do they make other plans?

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of their guests and crew is of the utmost importance. The company closely monitors storms and adjust their itineraries accordingly. The ship would not sail into the middle of a tropical storm. However, the storm effects sometimes extend hundreds of miles away from the storm center and there may be instances where your cruise will be "challenging". Take your Bonnie in advance of the cruise and enjoy your time on the Escape.

The storm in question is not yet named, and is just a TD. It is also north of Bermuda, and is not likely to move south. NCL will likely cruise north of the storm and then drop down into Bermuda, with little if any impact at all from the event.

Their is nothing you can do so stop worrying. Last cruise we took to Bermuda we were a day late because of a small storm, we sailed around in circles to avoid it and docked at 8pm instead of 8am.

I've been watching cruises and storms for years. 'Tis the season to be prepared to itinerary alterations. Dec. 2016 we were on Breakaway from NYC when it was delayed then rerouted to FL and Nassau instead of Bermuda.

Mon-Wed are the key days, and it is forecast to be a hurricane. Ships will avoid sailing the coast those days. If they can wait and sail behind it, they will do that. Ships that sailed yesterday or today may be able to get out to Bermuda before the risk increases. The good news is that with 2 1/2 days in Bermuda you have some slack to work with.

Seas will be rough behind the storm for a day or two.

So watch to see if the forecast holds... if it changes, as these often do, then we can revisit.

We were on the Dawn out of Boston to Bermuda in October 2016. We had two hurricanes heading to Bermuda. We docked on Sunday early. We were supposed to leave Bermuda Tuesday 5:30pm. Woke up Tuesday to captain saying we were leaving ASAP. Hurricanes coming. The ride out of Bermuda was very very rough. Worst I have cruised through. Quite an adventure! The waves at horseshoe bay were incredible. The best fun riding them ever.

We were on the Dawn out of Boston to Bermuda in October 2016. We had two hurricanes heading to Bermuda. We docked on Sunday early. We were supposed to leave Bermuda Tuesday 5:30pm. Woke up Tuesday to captain saying we were leaving ASAP. Hurricanes coming. The ride out of Bermuda was very very rough. Worst I have cruised through. Quite an adventure! The waves at horseshoe bay were incredible. The best fun riding them ever.

That dies sound like an adventure. Hurricane season is one of my favourite times of the year.

I forget which line it was, but about 10 years ago they rerouted a Bermuda cruise to Canada. Lots of unhappy people.............

Happens multiple times every year. Our September 2017 Bermuda cruise ended up with n Halifax. We got 2 days notice to change the shorts and t-shirts for long pants and a coat.

For our Bermuda cruise, I had a cold weather bag packed but was able to put it ashore in our car before we left because we were delayed leaving NYC. Luckily they announced we would be going south. A lot of people got off the ship even though we were told no credit, no refunds.... !

I see that Dawn comes home Thursday... going to be hard to get to Boston if the current forecast holds. I am guessing it will leave early and try to sail around behind the storm... maybe arrive late.

I see that Dawn comes home Thursday... going to be hard to get to Boston if the current forecast holds. I am guessing it will leave early and try to sail around behind the storm... maybe arrive late.

I am on the dawn currently checking this out ,So far no one has mentioned anything yet

all cruise lines handle the storm problem about the same way. There first concern is the safety or the passengers even if it means changing the itinerary. In the case of Bermuda that would be pretty hard to do. But let me say, as scary as this is remember a prediction and it actually happening are 2 different things. Have a good cruise where ever you end up, most likely that will be Bermuda. :cool:

I forget which line it was, but about 10 years ago they rerouted a Bermuda cruise to Canada. Lots of unhappy people.............

NCL has done this more that once. I am sure other lines have as well. In fact I know they have. As for unhappy people, so be it. I would rather be safe then sorry

NCL has done this more that once. I am sure other lines have as well. In fact I know they have. As for unhappy people, so be it. I would rather be safe then sorry

Good to know as I am going on a cruise to Bermuda this Fall. If they do change to Canada do they normally try and let the passengers know before the cruise so they can pack warmer clothes? Or does this sometimes not get decided until everyone has boarded?

Good to know as I am going on a cruise to Bermuda this Fall. If they do change to Canada do they normally try and let the passengers know before the cruise so they can pack warmer clothes? Or does this sometimes not get decided until everyone has boarded?

What ship? One reason Breakaway did not go to Canada is that in the fall the ports are booked up with fall foliage cruises, and the ability to add a large ship is very limited. But as I mentioned, the decision was not announced until after everyone was boarded. Some of us had cold weather clothes packed in a separate back just for the possibility.

I am on the dawn currently checking this out ,So far no one has mentioned anything yet

Thank you for checking in, and please let us know if they make any announcements. Hope your vacation does not get shortened.

I think that it was the NCL Majesty out of Boston. Our friends were on it.

It was something out of NY...and they told the passengers at check-in. I think there was a "near mutiny".

Someone we knew was on this trip....and they wouldn't let him cancel and rebook. This person is the ultimate of obnoxious...and he said if they didn't allow him to postpone he'd start a riot. They allowed him to cancel (I mean he is really belligerent...entitled...AND obnoxious) .....while everyone else went to Canada with their summer clothing. It was either Carnival or NCL.

We were on that same cruise! It was interesting to say the least. lol I believe it was the remnants of Mathew on the way down to Bermuda (I got some AMAZING early morning pics of the storm wall as we sailed around it) and a shortened stay in Bermuda due to Nicole approaching. That ride out was hairy!! I couldn't believe the conditions that port pilot boat had to deal with getting us out of there that morning - their skills are impressive!

I vividly remember seeing a few people with stitches on Wednesday and the pools were all drained and closed due to the waves as well. We were actually up at Snorkel Beach on Monday afternoon and you could feel the ocean swell and rising as you were standing there. One minute we were in waist deep water, 5 minutes later we were in chest deep water - it was pretty amazing!

I also remember seeing some video on the news in I think late 2017 from another ship going around a hurricane and people saying they were 'fearing for their lives' and I was like "Dude, hold my beer!". What we went through coming out of Nicole was WAY worse and we all survived. ;) lol

Happens multiple times every year. Our September 2017 Bermuda cruise ended up with n Halifax. We got 2 days notice to change the shorts and t-shirts for long pants and a coat.

Strange. We intentionally went to Canada in that same month, packed a few long-sleeved tops but it was too warm to use them.

I wonder what we may face on the OCT. 26 Eastern Caribbean Cruise. If we have to spend two weeks in Canada, that will be fine. We'll bring a jacket.

LOL. You are very easy going. With two weeks, I am sure you will have alternatives if any storm gets in the way. That's a lot of wiggle room! Two weeks is a long time for a Canada itinerary!

Did Dawn leave Bermuda early or on time? I can see that Dawn and Anthem both headed west before leaving AIS tracking range. Anthem can get to NYC on time. Will Dawn get back to Boston by Friday morning? Not sure!